Search similar:

uniqs

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Anyone using Zyxel powerline products?

Im about to buy a Zyxel powerline adapter. Years ago I swore off Zyxel wifi products due to model after model dropping the wifi connection. The powerline products seem to get good ratings, but the technology seems similar to me. So I am concerned.

Anyone have an opinion on these?

Thanks!

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view
is where you will find some decent independent testing. The Zyxel stuff and belkin and some trendnet-dlink 500 series stuff do well. The top measured item the new smaller netgear units results are skewed due to results due to including when using the same electrical plugin and should be viewed with that in mind. Regrets no real world results........

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Any idea why Zyxel is claiming

85mbps for email and web
200mbps for video and audio streaming
500mbps for HD video and audio streaming?

You can stream HD video and audio in under 1mpbs. Are they trying to give a hint at real world results? I'm strongly looking at the 200Mbps series only because they seem cheap and available.

also, presently checking out the smallnetbuilder link you provided.
dnoyeB

dnoyeB

Learning on the fly...

200mbps/500mbps is the powerline protocol not the actual unit throughput. Some of these only have 100TX ports on them so they can't pass 500 anyway.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Correct lots of marketing involved but I would not waste my money on 200 series products - cheap to get rid of stock but performance is also poor

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Newegg had a sale so I grabbed a pair of PLA4205s for $50. 500mbps protocol with Gb ports. Futureproof hopefully. I might grab a 3rd one day so I can put my phone TA in the basement by the phone circuits.
dnoyeB

dnoyeB

Just had an interesting thought. I wonder if I can run a pair of these from my mother's house to the house next door. If I get both on the same leg of the transformer I imagine it should work. Only need a few Mbps for internet.

Its worth a shot.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

said by dnoyeB:

If I get both on the same leg of the transformer I imagine it should work.

Yep, that's the key.
If you try it please share back. I'm interested to know if you get it to work between houses.

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

1 edit

Gork to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB
I've been kinda' waiting to see what G.hn might bring to the table, supposedly near the beginning of next year...
»www.homegridforum.org/

I first heard of this on, of all places, the TV show Designing Spaces. The link to the original page on their site is either gone or not working right now, but I did find the video on blip:
»blip.tv/designing-spaces ··· -6384042
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

I think G.hn can kick some serious butt, problem is that all the people that claim they got it, don't yet. I have been talking to different vendors for at least a year now and all claim they have it, but nobody can provide me with samples.

Last ones where at Broadband World Forum this year, Cambridge Industries Group advertised for it on their stand, but when pushed they only had some none standard none CE/FCC compliant stuff for China. (All chinese vendors always claim large Chinese deployments, who can actually verify? )

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

I did notice that the forum had initially indicated that we should see products this year but that has since been moved back to next year. I'm not sure if this means they're having (insurmountable?) problems with the technology, or if they lied to their investors about when things would be up and running in order to garner more interest up front, or if they're just slow. It seems the "roll-out date" of 2013 was in the video I linked, but it could have been somwhere else.

So anyway, that's probably why products are difficult to find at this juncture. But it seems many months sometimes go by without much activity so I'm worried the whole thing could go the way of the dodo bird. Perhaps it sounds too good to be true?

Here's to hoping!
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

Things always takes longer times, I spoke with Sigma Design about 1+ year ago and they where also none committing to most things then. But now they claim they have a chipset solution if you look at their website.

I know that Aware got out of the "data communication" game on the chip side.

Anyways, I want it and I want it now, I think it can be quite a killer, but the question is, how well does it actually work vs Powerline vs Wireless.

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

said by JPedroT:

I want it and I want it now

/nod

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

and a pill to cure all diseases. One day dslpardner you will forgo technology and discover people.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

It didn't work from one house to the next. Though the houses are next to each other, the location the electrical drop enters the house are in much different locations. The route would have to cross the street, go to the other side of the house next door, then to the rear of that house. Its a pretty long path which has another house connected as well.

Also I realized that the color of one of the LEDs indicates the connection speed. Sometimes its good, and sometimes its bad. I will probably move the units onto the same leg of the fuse panel.