Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 edit

TheBionic

Premium Member

XBox 360...sell to Gamestop?

I got an e-mail saying GS is paying double credit for all systems between now and October 28. I have a black 250 gig Slim that doesn't get used much, so I'm thinking about it. Money for gaming has been tight and some gaming money in store credit would be great.

OTOH I've had a 360 since Jan. 2007 so I am attached and am leery of getting rid of it. I am going to call them before I decide to see how much they will be willing to pay. I will not be resubbing to Gold and I have other ways to watch ppv movies and Netflix. I don't like dealing with the hassles of ebay or craigslist so if I don't sell it to GS I will keep it.

My question for you guys is: are there any upcoming exclusives I need a 360 to play? I also have a gaming PC, PS3 and Wii. Any other reason you all can think of to keep it? Other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: ha...checking around the net it seems GS did this in July as well and were valuing the systems at around $50, doubling it paying $100. I think I'll keep it.

carp
Rejected
join:2002-10-30

carp

You're getting shafted if only $100. Look at what they sell the same system used for.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

TheBionic

Premium Member

Called Gamestop. $75, double it for $150. Plus the Kinect, controller, and a couple games. I'd be lucky if I broke $200. I still think I'll hang onto it, although that's a lot of Steam credit...
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to carp

to carp
said by carp:

You're getting shafted if only $100. Look at what they sell the same system used for.

You do understand the point of selling things is to make money. If I own a pawn shop and I can sell your item for $500 I'm not going to give you $500 for it. What would be the point? So yes I will will give you less because I'm a business not a charity.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I don't get why people sell to lamestop for palty sums when they can just ebay

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

Generally I would agree with you, but in this case it's because Gamestop is on my way home, I can have the store credit today, I don't have to worry about shipping or getting paid, and with this double credit deal the difference between GS and ebay isn't as big as it normally would be. I'm seeing consoles on ebay like mine going for $175. $25 is worth the convenience to me.

I will admit I've had bad luck with selling on ebay. My first sale was an e-bay verified attempted scam (gotta love the "I'm traveling, do you ship to Nigeria"?). My second sale (same item) the winning bidder never paid or responded to any of my e-mails. There has been no third sale yet.

carp
Rejected

carp to 88615298

to 88615298
After all these years in corporate america and sitting on S corp boards, that never dawned on me /sarcasm

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

lol

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

Oh, let me count the ways:
•Fees eBay charges to list/sell anything on the site, which creates the phenomena of many items having shipping rates more expensive than the cost of the item in question
•Nobody will buy from someone that hasn't built a reputation in the hundreds already
NUMEROUS buying/selling scams done by getting dodgy with ebay's own rules, thereby ensuring a bad experience for either side
•A lack of trust that I have with regards to eBay that - for as much as has gone on with the site - is something I may not ever get over.

The depressing thing is that failstop gets away with their meager offers because they know that they're effectively a monopoly where they have business. As I said to another previously regarding this, where I currently live, I'd have to go more than 20 miles away to find a single actual pawn shop, and I would find no less than six Failstops within the same radius, and at least three on the way to said pawn shop. It's frustrating as heck, that's for sure.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I am no longer a 360 owner. The 360 with 4 older games (Darksiders, Dark Souls, Kinect Adventures and the Biggest Loser game of the wife's) netted me $175 if anyone is interested. I didn't sell the Kinect as they only offered me $12 for it. I can do better than that unloading it on a friend.

carp
Rejected

carp to TheBionic

to TheBionic
That's not bad at all in my eyes.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

I am no longer a 360 owner. The 360 with 4 older games (Darksiders, Dark Souls, Kinect Adventures and the Biggest Loser game of the wife's) netted me $175 if anyone is interested. I didn't sell the Kinect as they only offered me $12 for it. I can do better than that unloading it on a friend.

How much did you get for Dark Souls? If the system netted you $150, then the four games netted you only $25.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to carp

to carp
said by carp:

After all these years in corporate america and sitting on S corp boards, that never dawned on me /sarcasm

Well apparently it didn't since you are amazed an old XBOX can "only" fetch $100 on the used market. Lucky he'd be getting that.

88615298 (banned) to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

said by Metatron2008:

Oh, let me count the ways:
•Fees eBay charges to list/sell anything on the site, which creates the phenomena of many items having shipping rates more expensive than the cost of the item in question
•Nobody will buy from someone that hasn't built a reputation in the hundreds already
NUMEROUS buying/selling scams done by getting dodgy with ebay's own rules, thereby ensuring a bad experience for either side
•A lack of trust that I have with regards to eBay that - for as much as has gone on with the site - is something I may not ever get over.

The depressing thing is that failstop gets away with their meager offers because they know that they're effectively a monopoly where they have business. As I said to another previously regarding this, where I currently live, I'd have to go more than 20 miles away to find a single actual pawn shop, and I would find no less than six Failstops within the same radius, and at least three on the way to said pawn shop. It's frustrating as heck, that's for sure.

Amazon has trade ins.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Goggalor

Premium Member

to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

said by TheBionic:

How much did you get for Dark Souls? If the system netted you $150, then the four games netted you only $25.

I'll have to check the receipt and get back to you, but I knew the games wouldn't bring in much as they were all older titles and Gamestop sucks (and I know, Dark Souls was awesome and worth more). I bought DS and Darksiders used for cheap anyway so I wasn't concerned.

I did however turn that store credit into $170 in Steam cards and a preorder of the PS3 version of the next Assassin's Creed.

TeatherWind
join:2001-08-21
Euless, TX

TeatherWind to TheBionic

to TheBionic
Heck I see people offloading these on Craigslist left and right for more than gamestop is willing.

No Fees, some gas.. you get more than gamestop is willing to give ya, and you save someone else some cash.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by TeatherWind:

Heck I see people offloading these on Craigslist left and right for more than gamestop is willing.

No Fees, some gas.. you get more than gamestop is willing to give ya, and you save someone else some cash.

I still don't want to deal with Craigslist over Gamestop. Paranoia perhaps, but you really do not know who you're dealing with, and as a single mom I don't really want to meet up with strangers to sell stuff. I'd do eBay before I'd do that, but the nice thing about trading in a system to Gamestop is that the person who bought it from you can't come back and whine that it doesn't work right after the fact, or leave you negative feedback, or harass you. Once the system is the property of Gamestop, liability pretty much leaves your hands, as they test the system when they take it and then it's their problem. That alone to me is worth not dealing with reselling it through other means.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Well, if it wasn't for the double credit thing, they would be offering $75 for an XBox 360 slim 250 gb console and $12 for the Kinect. That is a bit ridiculous and would never sell for that. But I'm content with what I got. Great? No, but not terrible either, and I didn't have to deal with Craigslist or ebay.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
When I bought my Xbox 360 I brought in all my old Wii stuff (missing console as it had decided to go cappots on me) so I had like 4 controllers and a bunch of other add ons etc brought in all my games and 4 Xbox games my son finished and didn't want.

Total trade in came to around 325$ trade in I wasn't going to use the stuff anyway so I figured it was worth it.

Got myself an Xbox 360 (250gb) with a live gold membership and a few games for total of 350$, so I paid 25$ for the total package. I wasn't going to complain too loudly about trading in junk for something practical.

But if you have a perfectly working console and want to get rid of it? ut it up on a buy and sell place and wait, you'll get more money for it then if you trade it in. Promos or not.

Umitencho
join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
Tophatter is much better.