uniqs

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to Voxxjin

to Voxxjin

Re: Revolution (NBC, Sept 17)

said by Voxxjin:

So do you think the one 'country', Wasteland, is actually a country or just a wasteland now that no one claims. Seems like an odd name for a country.

It seems to me wasteland is what it says it is. A wasteland. No electricity means no air conditioning. A lot of that territory I think I would be unbearable in the warmer months. Maybe the northern area is based on the opposite (too cold or rugged?). Anyway that was my theory.

In regards to rail maintenance there is a good chance that train only went from that city to the Monroe Capitol (and any points in between). Maintaining a single rail line may be a lot easier than a whole network.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

wasteland coincides with land that is NOT farm-able, or NOT relatively flat with a natural water.
this older map is more accurate in terms of having fewer farms dependent on recent technologies.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to SRFireside

Premium Member

to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

said by Voxxjin:

So do you think the one 'country', Wasteland, is actually a country or just a wasteland now that no one claims. Seems like an odd name for a country.

It seems to me wasteland is what it says it is. A wasteland. No electricity means no air conditioning. A lot of that territory I think I would be unbearable in the warmer months. Maybe the northern area is based on the opposite (too cold or rugged?). Anyway that was my theory.

Nearly every part of North America was occupied by humans well before electricity and air conditioning became common.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Omega:

Nearly every part of North America was occupied by humans well before electricity and air conditioning became common.

The oldtime Native Americans were acclimated to such a life from childhood.

Also, there are no more buffalo herds (etc) to hunt....

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to SRFireside

Premium Member

to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

said by Voxxjin:

In regards to rail maintenance there is a good chance that train only went from that city to the Monroe Capitol (and any points in between). Maintaining a single rail line may be a lot easier than a whole network.

When I hear wasteland, I think of a nuclear, biological event that prevents people from living there. Or maybe a thermal event like volcanoes.

No electricity isn't a big deal. Lack of water could be a deal breaker for a large population, but as seen in real life, there are people that live and thrive in the deserts regions, as well as in the cold regions.

Would the sudden loss of electrical power prevent a nuke plant from melting down?
Don't nuke plants run off of the energy they produce? Which begs the question: Just what was "the event" that was able to kill all power production.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Ted Turner would beg to differ. He has the largest buffalo ranch in the USA.
Theres plenty of Buffalo, heck, there more then enough white tail deer.

So if people didn't have buffalo to hunt, they'd hunt deer.

Failing that they could always breed rabbits and rats. I just finished a book that took place after the world ended. One group of survivors released they were running outta food, and they knew rats breed fast, require little effort. So they caught some wild rats, bred them for a couple of generations [to clean them up, wild rats have a load of pests]. Then they started harvesting and grinding the rats up into rat patties.
They would have used rabbits, but compared to rats, rabbits have a limited specific food requirement. Where as rats seem to thrive off of what ever we humans throw away.