KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline

Re: Windows 8 MVPS hosts file?

You only need to exclude the host file when using Windows Defender correct? If we use a different anti virus. Its fine and not needed? Also. Any registry setting we need to do for Windows 8? With Windows 7. MVPS has the following to say and what to do regarding 7.

A better Win7/Vista/XP workaround would be to add two Registry entries to control the amount of time the DNS cache is saved. (KB318803)

Flush the existing DNS cache (see above)
Start > Run (type) regedit
Navigate to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters
Click Edit > New > DWORD Value (type) MaxCacheTtl
Click Edit > New > DWORD Value (type) MaxNegativeCacheTtl
Next right-click on the MaxCacheTtl entry (right pane) and select: Modify and change the value to 1
The MaxNegativeCacheTtl entry should already have a value of 0 (leave it that way - see screenshot)
Close Regedit and reboot ...
As usual you should always backup your Registry before editing ... see Regedit Help under "Exporting Registry files"

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by KoRnGtL15:

You only need to exclude the host file when using Windows Defender correct? If we use a different anti virus. Its fine and not needed? ...

Some security programs do the same with hosts.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
MVPS has this to say for Win 7, although (respectfully) I don't extract and replace my file this way.

»winhelp2002.mvps.org/hos ··· win7.htm

The information you posted back are workarounds for DNS caching issues.
If you encounter any and I don't recommend a Reg tweak to fix a DNS issue related to a Hosts file.