uniqs

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6

Re: [iPad] Quick iPad poll...mini, maxi or other?

said by banditws6:

said by JohnInSJ:

Surface for me. Already have an Android tablet (running, barely, jelly bean) and the wife has an iPad2. Kid has iP3 via her Highschool. Want a tablet that can do both consumption and work.

If by "work" you mean anything beyond Office, you might want to wait for Surface Pro. The just-released Surface RT can't run any existing x86 applications, even though it inexplicably contains a Classic Desktop view. The bundled Office suite and Internet Explorer are, I believe, the only "desktop style" apps that run on it.

Yep, I know all about the various options. Obviously an arm-based recompile of windows running on an arm CPU isn't going to run x86 binaries

I mean "work" - office. One Note. Plus, whatever comes down the pike later. (hint - this is why there is a desktop. Wonder how powershell will work on it, it's supposed to be there.)

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Yep, I know all about the various options. Obviously an arm-based recompile of windows running on an arm CPU isn't going to run x86 binaries

I mean "work" - office. One Note. Plus, whatever comes down the pike later. (hint - this is why there is a desktop. Wonder how powershell will work on it, it's supposed to be there.)

OK, just checking. For me, "work" would mean Visual Studio, SQL Server manager, Photoshop, et al. Although expecting such things to be useful on a tablet may already be expecting too much!

I work for a Microsoft partner and we have a Surface due in tomorrow. I'm actually interested to see how it works, although the Pro model would be more my speed. (Though I can't deny I'd enjoy a Surface RT as a writing tool, since I do all my writing in Word as it is, and there are no decent iOS alternatives that don't have issues.)

Nevertheless, I'll be ordering an iPad 4 for the home as my wife is a serious Apple fanatic, and we both carry iPhones.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by banditws6:

said by JohnInSJ:

OK, just checking. For me, "work" would mean Visual Studio, SQL Server manager, Photoshop, et al. Although expecting such things to be useful on a tablet may already be expecting too much!

Yep - the same for me - I have a workstation-class laptop, the surface would let me not drag it into meetings yet sill let me do pretty much everything I need to do in a meeting seamlessly. The PRO probably more so, but that's not out yet.