Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Re: Help blocking heat from sun SE side of house

said by KrK:

Any chance you could plant a tree that would grow to a large shade tree? This is slow process and may not be feasible, but it helps. Also don't plant it too close to the house.

Other then that, you could try adding insulation to that upstairs room.... and by all means, tinted windows and window shades DO help some.

Good luck!

Also, something I do to save electricity: This fan powerful, moves a lot of air... (but somewhat noisy). Really helps though, makes me feel better and saves turning down the A/C.

Thanks for the suggestions....I have a fan in the door now....haven't quite figured out if blowing in or exhausting out is more beneficial.

You can tell the temp diff as soon as you step into the hall, which is why I was wondering about putting a return in the office, to see if it would move some of that air.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

said by Koil:

Thanks for the suggestions....I have a fan in the door now....haven't quite figured out if blowing in or exhausting out is more beneficial.

Our sunrooms are the same way. They tend to get very hot even with the blinds closed. I would put awnings on it but it is base housing and a historical building so that won't happen. No AC vents in there either. Some people have put the portable AC units in there which work well. Some have put the window AC units in there as well. I personally use a fan in the doorway. I use this fan. »www.lowes.com/pd_153139- ··· cetInfo=

I have it sitting a few outside the sunroom directing the cooler air in. And since I can direct the air a little better I aim it for the area I usually will be at. Yes it is a little noisy compared to other fans but it works for me. It can really blast the air into the room, far better than your typical fan, imo.