aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to computerman2

Premium Member

to computerman2

Re: Adding an SSD to a P6-2133W Desktop

From what "little" I could find about the system on the HP website, I wouldn't waste the money on an SSD for this machine, the Sata interface appears to be only Sata II at 3Gbs. If there isn't another spare sata cable in the system or another sata connector on the MB that you can use, then you can't really add another disk drive anyway.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Has Serial ATA 3 i believe, but i'll double check that on HP's website

Motherboard specs for this P6-2133W Desktop System

»h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf ··· =5192567

Clearly shows 6x Serial ata 3.0 connectors
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

1 edit

Thordrune to aguen

Premium Member

to aguen
said by aguen:

From what "little" I could find about the system on the HP website, I wouldn't waste the money on an SSD for this machine, the Sata interface appears to be only Sata II at 3Gbs. If there isn't another spare sata cable in the system or another sata connector on the MB that you can use, then you can't really add another disk drive anyway.

Whether a PC has 6 Gbps SATA ports should have little, if any bearing on a potential SSD upgrade. Heck, I've personally seen tremendous speed increases using newer SSDs on 1.5 Gbps ports (see this video I made with an Intel 320 in an old Pentium 4 machine). I have a Mushkin Chronos SSD (similar to an OCZ Agility 3) in my 6+ year old Dell laptop, with an ICH7-M southbridge providing a 1.5 Gbps port. It was a big improvement in speed on that machine, even though the SSD is nowhere close to being stressed.

It only really matters with high sequential throughput scenarios, or random IO with high queue depths. For the former, other storage would probably be the bottleneck. For the latter, you're unlikely to experience such workloads, unless you're using the PC as a highly-loaded server.