Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff

Re: Generator Time!!!

What a mess so far. Wouldn't start, so luckily my neighbor does engine repair. It must have been sitting for a while as the gas broke down from when they started it at the factory. We have cleaned out the carb, filter, everything. Finally have it running, but it idles rough and you can see the throttle going back and forth. Of course there are no generators to be found to replace it with. 4 hours so far....

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Click for full size
Gif
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

The winds are already starting to pick up here

Yeah, I'm noticing it too. Something wicked this way comes...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

What a mess so far. Wouldn't start, so luckily my neighbor does engine repair. It must have been sitting for a while as the gas broke down from when they started it at the factory. We have cleaned out the carb, filter, everything. Finally have it running, but it idles rough and you can see the throttle going back and forth. Of course there are no generators to be found to replace it with. 4 hours so far....

Check the gas line connection to the tank. My Honda has a filter in there if you unscrew the fitting from the tank. When it plugs the engine will hunt like you describe. Lack of fuel.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Of course there are no generators to be found to replace it with. 4 hours so far....

Put a heavy load on the generator and run it for a few hours while occasionally spray carb cleaner.

My generator was hunting out of the box.
I eventually got it to run stable by breaking it in by putting a heavy load on it (2x space heaters @ 1500W) for a couple of hours.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Click for full size
Moderate steady rain. Not much wind. 29 mph but it appears to be increasing.

Interesting the clear area to the west of me is dry. Cold front is blocking the storm but doesn't have enough strength to push it off shore because of the high pressure over Greenland trying to push in onshore.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Keep us up to date.
I'm going to be hit 2 days after you guys. I need to know the scale of things to have an idea of what's coming here.

According to wunderground, I will get 40+ mph winds, but that could end up be worse or less.

I'm ready either way.
I didn't tell Ms. Genny. I didn't want her to get disappointed if nothing happens.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

Keep us up to date.
I'm going to be hit 2 days after you guys. I need to know the scale of things to have an idea of what's coming here.

According to wunderground, I will get 40+ mph winds, but that could end up be worse or less.

I'm ready either way.
I didn't tell Ms. Genny. I didn't want her to get disappointed if nothing happens.

Hell I'm still trying to figure out what's in store here. It does not look good tonight and tomorrow.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Pureblood

MVM

to Pureblood
said by Pureblood:

just a note, synthetic oil is not recommended for use with propane and natural gas systems. synthetic oils could cause carbon build up in propane and NG systems. you want to use oils like Exxon Super Flow or Castrol GTX with low ash content.

Thanks for the caution because I was under the impression that synthetic oils always had lower ash content the regular motor oils. After reading your post I did some checking and found that the ash content of synthetic oils varies with the different products just like it does for regular motor oils.

There also seems to be a confusing amount of disagreement whether a high ash content is a good or bad thing

I have been thinking about converting my old but never used Generac generator to NG/LPG to avoid the hassles associated with maintaining stored gasoline.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Synthetic oil is better for gas powered small air cooled engines because they run hotter. Supposedly.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

said by Pureblood:

just a note, synthetic oil is not recommended for use with propane and natural gas systems. synthetic oils could cause carbon build up in propane and NG systems. you want to use oils like Exxon Super Flow or Castrol GTX with low ash content.

Thanks for the caution because I was under the impression that synthetic oils always had lower ash content the regular motor oils. After reading your post I did some checking and found that the ash content of synthetic oils varies with the different products just like it does for regular motor oils.

There also seems to be a confusing amount of disagreement whether a high ash content is a good or bad thing

I have been thinking about converting my old but never used Generac generator to NG/LPG to avoid the hassles associated with maintaining stored gasoline.

here is the follow up to that. No confusion here, high ash with NG or Propane is not good, over the long run you will end up with deposit buildups. My system runs great after the conversion. Plus as you said you don’t have to worry about storing gasoline which could present its own problems. Plus you don't have to worry about NG or Propane gumming up your carb
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

How can you tell apart the oils that have "high ash content" from "low ash content"? I never even heard of oil ash content before this thread (and still really don't know exactly what it means).

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

How can you tell apart the oils that have "high ash content" from "low ash content"? I never even heard of oil ash content before this thread (and still really don't know exactly what it means).

I've had my Honda EB5000X since 1997 and have run the heck out of it including 17 straight days 16 hrs/day after Isabel, 7 days after the 2007 N'Easter, and 5 days after Irene plus many times a day or two. Even load it down heating water in the water heater for showers @4500 watts. (Continuous rating limit)

I've always used Penzoil 10W30 and never had any problems or any problem with the engine burning oil.

Oil is something I don't have to worry about in my Generator given the workout I've given it using the Penzoil.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Hey buddy, I was thinking of doing something similar, but not sure how to go about it.

1) how many wattage?
2) how do you wire into the house? where are the switch overs?

Ideally, I need the furnace fan running (stove, water heater and furnace are all gas), also the fridge and freezer. Likely will have electric going to internet as well...

If I am not mistaken, the furnace is 350 watts, 550 watts for the fridge and likely 600 for the freezer, of course, not likely to run all at once. I am thinking a three thousand (4,000 max) gen should be good enough.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

basically it is the proprieties of the oil, loads of info out there on the net but just did a quick search found this one;

»www.viragotech.com/fixit ··· Oil.html

Again for the guys just running gasoline run whatever you want, my post was intended for NG and Propane users. Here is the bottom line as per the above link A high ash content will tend to form more sludge and deposits in the engine. Low ash content also seems to promote long valve life. Look for oils with a low ash content.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Pureblood:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

basically it is the proprieties of the oil, loads of info out there on the net but just did a quick search found this one;

»www.viragotech.com/fixit ··· Oil.html

Again for the guys just running gasoline run whatever you want, my post was intended for NG and Propane users. Here is the bottom line as per the above link A high ash content will tend to form more sludge and deposits in the engine. Low ash content also seems to promote long valve life. Look for oils with a low ash content.

My generator does run on propane only. I bought Castrol GTX because it was on sale truthfully... and until now I've never heard of ash content, but the Castrol has been working well thus far. Guess I'll stick with it for the generator.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood

Premium Member

just make sure you change it according to the maintenance schedule and you are good to go. Also buy yourself one of those little Hour/Tachs meter combos on eBay for $15 so you know your hours. It just wraps around the spark plug, make sure you get the 4 stroke model. Castrol is great oil, I got over 215K with Castrol in my old Ford.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
holy gas price jumps.. Greenwich gas is already not cheap but right along with Norwalk, CT the gas for regular jumped up about 25 cents more.

Funny thing is right across the road is Sunnco and the reg was $4.19/gal so filled up the car at that station but got the generator fuel at Mobil.. had I seen the price drop I would of went to the other station.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

holy gas price jumps.. Greenwich gas is already not cheap but right along with Norwalk, CT the gas for regular jumped up about 25 cents more.

Funny thing is right across the road is Sunnco and the reg was $4.19/gal so filled up the car at that station but got the generator fuel at Mobil.. had I seen the price drop I would of went to the other station.

I paid $3.38 to fill my vehicles up and $4.09 for my non-ethanol.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Are Mobil and Shell owned by the same company funny how in two towns the price for reg. was pretty much about the same.

The gas here has 10% ethanol I think

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Subaru

to Subaru
Governor Christie warned about illegal price gouging during a state emergency. Can't raise prices more than 10%, until 30 days past the end of the state of emergency.
fifty nine

fifty nine to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I paid $3.38 to fill my vehicles up and $4.09 for my non-ethanol.

Where do you get non ethanol from? A marina? The only non ethanol gas I can get here is Avgas for $6/gallon.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

Where do you get non ethanol from? A marina? The only non ethanol gas I can get here is Avgas for $6/gallon.

Around here more and more stations are either taking out mid grade and selling 100% gas regular, 10% ethanol regular and 10% ethanol super. Others are remodeling with 4 pump choices and having 3 grades at 10% ethanol + regular @ 100% gas.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

1 recommendation

WK2 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Im glad I got a generator. Worth every penny
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Stay safe guys!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
I wonder what they are going to do here in CT, it's nuts and it's the two biggest oil companies Shell and Mobil that both have the highest prices in two towns about 20 miles from each other.. places like Citgo and other smaller stations are fine so far
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by ptrowski:

Stove would be nice as well.

It would be a luxury of short term.
If I wanted to cook a pizza or something for the stove (not range), I'd use my toaster oven. Heck I already use my toaster oven for everything as long as it fits. I hate the pre-heat delay on full sized stoves.

As for the range, you can always buy a cheap little 1800W single element range for the emergency times.

A combined convection oven/microwave can run on 120v 15A - this gives you all the oven/reheat capacity you need for most things (excluding the 22lb turkey).

A single induction burner device can be purchased for $80 or so. You can boil a full pot of water in 2 minutes if you have the correct type of pots (iron/steel core).

If you have natural gas/oil/propane heating in the house, most people could get by with 6000W generator running just about whatever they wanted that uses 120v circuits. That's a nominal 50A. De-rate that to 40A, and aside from central air and electric fryers and full-sized ranges, you're pretty well covered for an average home.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to Subaru

Mod

to Subaru
I just have a 6000 watt portable and run extension cords (as my kids call them... redneck Christmas lights) through my windows and it gets old. Yesterday as I was prepping I had to find the three 12g cords I use, think about how I am going to protect the running generator from the driving rain, etc. My old and aching back didn't much like me rolling the generator out of the shed to get it started. I'm still trying to locate my hooded rain coat. If the power goes out, I am going to be out in the rain, soaked and handling electrical cables, constructing a temporary rain shelter and tracking mud all through my house. Then I am going to have to listen to my wife complain about it all. If I had the money, I would get a whole house too or at least a "most of the house" generator. "Having the money" includes having the money to fuel it too. My portable goes through 35 bucks a day of fuel. I can only imagine what a whole house generator would use. I can't imagine spending $1000 plus to have electricity for a week.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Isabel put 9" of water in the house at $94K damages. I hope it's not the case this time as it is going to be east of us instead of west heading inland.

A 2" submersible electric dewatering pump will move several hundred gallons/minute.

Something like this »www.ebay.com/itm/42-0007 ··· 2355bffc would probably keep up if it was placed at the low point of a basement right from the start.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

A combined convection oven/microwave can run on 120v 15A - this gives you all the oven/reheat capacity you need for most things (excluding the 22lb turkey).

A single induction burner device can be purchased for $80 or so. You can boil a full pot of water in 2 minutes if you have the correct type of pots (iron/steel core).

That's what I meant. You can live off 120v and/or a smaller generator and still cook. Buying a generator capable of running a full range + lights/furnace/fridge is a bit extreme especially with the cheaper solutions (As mentionned, smaller oven and single burner).

Of course, my generator at 3000W (4000W surge/starting) would necessitate a careful control of what's running if I'd use a cooking appliance @ 15A (1800W) since the furnace blower + fridge already would take nearly 1000W. Add the lights, TV, computer and you have around 3000W, so anything else kick starting would bring it over the 4000W starting wattage.

Considering where I live, I can just go for delivery or take out
A lot of restaurants would still have power as we're near several sub stations. My house however is second to last on a power line, inside a neighborhood where all power lines are surrounded by trees. So I'm at high risk to lose power, restaurants aren't