join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to fifty nine

Re: Generator of a different kind

said by fifty nine:

It might be some local flunkie who decided he was being "union strong" by doing this. I doubt that it's an official union position.

Could be but we'll never really find out now given the negative reaction. Union officials are in the hunker down denial mode.

At any rate all resources union and non-union should be welcomed. The suffering is incredible.

I saw the network news last night showing the massive generators (guarded by armed security) the pallets of bottled water, hospitality tents with food Bloomberg had for the marathon. Disgusting. If he had not cancelled the race then the people should have run him out of town on a rail.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to Subaru

Re: Generator Time!!!

said by Subaru:

lucky it's way higher here hah I think the avg is like $4.10

Being intimately familiar with both of your locations, you're the one who's lucky.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

said by garys_2k:

It's not likely a noise in the line issue (which would be very, very small, this isn't an audio line) but related to how well the governor controls the generator's speed. Non-inverting generators' output frequency directly depends on the speed, and the speed often depends on the load and how quickly the governor reacts.

That, and some generators also do not hold a stable voltage. Also, if the inverter is not of a decent quality the UPS may not like the line noise the inverter generates (not line noise picked up from the wire). Cheap UPS's do not like cheap inverters and/or cheap generators any more than expensive UPS's like cheap inverters.

Thanks for the reply back but that was not case. Sometimes we over analyze things and the answer couldn't be any easier.

I have a 5500watt (running watts) B&S generator which uses True sine wave "thus producing a cleaner power" as stated by B&S. Also I have a decent APC UPS so not really using junk. Today I resolved the issue by simply redoing my terminations. I placed the meter back on and tested at a few different outlets and HZ held @ 60 ~ 61 just like the Utility company, before it was unreadable. The voltages always been good, never thought to check Hz until after the storm, all is good again...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SwedishRider
Click for full size
I don't know if this works but this is saying how NY/NJ drivers are coming to CT for gas.. anyways this caught my eye..

Just hope no one takes a drink!

tmh

@verizon.net
said by Subaru:

I don't know if this works but this is saying how NY/NJ drivers are coming to CT for gas.. anyways this caught my eye..

I *hope* this one's been Photoshopped. Otherwise, wow. Just wow.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by tmh
[/BQUOTE :

Desperate times means Desperate measures...
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to tmh
nope it was posted on a local news paper site.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SwedishRider
I watched several people get rejected on line trying to fill anything but an approved gas can ....

Power came back on last night! Have to say, I'm thrilled with the performance of my generator, Tecumseh engine and all. It worked great and got us through, and that's all that counts.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

All you east coasters out there... might be time to get those generators up and running...

I just picked up a new one this past week sort of after the fact but I don't what to endure an outage like that again and winter time is coming.

»www.kipor.com/product/xiangxi.as···6&id=211

--
November is National Epilepsy Month

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to SwedishRider
Just picked up a 7500watt Generator to replace my 2500watt generator
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Cool I'm gonna have to buy me one too eventually,as I was lucky enough to borrow my brothers 5500 watt generator for the two days I needed it. What brand did you get?
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to tmh
said by tmh :

said by Subaru:

Likely not photoshopped. Gas cans are sold out everywhere.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
You can see the article here it's picture #32

»www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar···-3680218

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
You gotta do what you gotta do. He has entirely different priories than we do sitting here comfy at our computers. I hope it worked out for him.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Use a diesel or kerosene container instead?

While I did not check for fuel cans in Home depot I've nothing but red fuel cans while out today.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Coma
I would of thought that was diesel looks pretty nice.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand
said by Subaru:

I put it my shop where there is a 240V outlet and back feed to the main panel with an interlock. Planning on plumbing the exhaust outside so I can run it in any weather.

--

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by Coma:

I put it my shop where there is a 240V outlet and back feed to the main panel with an interlock. Planning on plumbing the exhaust outside so I can run it in any weather.

Even with the exhaust connected outside this is still dangerous. Ensure plenty of ventilation to prevent the buildup of harmful fumes in your shop.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Use a diesel or kerosene container instead?

While I did not check for fuel cans in Home depot I've nothing but red fuel cans while out today.

I'm sure if he had that option that's what he would have used.

Annmarie
Lillian
join:2000-11-11
kudos:5
reply to dennismurphy
We did the same "extension cord" dance.

Power left at 5:30 Monday and just returned about an hour ago.

I will not roll up those cords for 24 hours though I will pull them.
Power has a tendency to change it's mind here on LI and I hear there maybe a bit more nasty weather ahead.
--
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Coma
Nice just make sure the exhaust has no leaks

Anonuser

join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI
reply to SwedishRider
Ive done the same with my shed at my old house. It's perfectly fine as long as, subaru said, their are no leaks.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Zorack
I got a UST

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Anonuser
said by Anonuser:

Ive done the same with my shed at my old house. It's perfectly fine as long as, subaru said, their are no leaks.

You know my supervisor at my job said they were running a generator but they had it in the basement and I think they ran a cord up in the house in a little hole.. I'm not sure what they did about exhaust gases but basement?? I was trying to figure that one out..
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Looks similar to the Honda EU6500 (which I have). The controls are practically the same.

If it operates in a similar manner you have a winner.

On Eco-throttle I can basically go 14-15 hours on a tank of gas (4 gallons).

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by fifty nine:

All inverter generators tend to be very economical on fuel when running well below their capacity.
They don't have to stay at a minimum RPM (3600) to maintain 60hz.

14-15 hours on 4 gallons .... for what load? My generator (non inverter) can do 12 hours on 4 hallons with a 1500W load.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to leibold
said by leibold:

said by Coma:

Even with the exhaust connected outside this is still dangerous. Ensure plenty of ventilation to prevent the buildup of harmful fumes in your shop.

I have worked as a mechanic for more then 30 years in shops and in the field, this shit doesn't scare me and besides I have a Carbon monoxide detector available.

--

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by Coma:

I have a Carbon monoxide detector available.

A reasonable precaution under the circumstances. Play safe
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by fifty nine:

All inverter generators tend to be very economical on fuel when running well below their capacity.
They don't have to stay at a minimum RPM (3600) to maintain 60hz.

14-15 hours on 4 gallons .... for what load? My generator (non inverter) can do 12 hours on 4 hallons with a 1500W load.

About 1-1.5kw load. That's mostly what my whole house draws except when using heavier loads like laundry, the dishwasher and central air (which I can't use with the generator).

The other nice benefit is the lack of noise. I don't even hear the generator running when I'm inside.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to Coma
Carbon Monoxide detectors only last up to 3 to 4 years, 5 years max. before failure.
--
Getting it Done.