uniqs
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Generator Time!!!

said by Jack_in_VA:

I'm the little bubble just east of Richmond. Does not look good. Better pick up a little more gas it's going to be a long outage I'm afraid.

OUCH - Im pretty much in the line to the west of Harrisburg PA. Maybe I'll see about another gas can just in case.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by itguy05:

All things we need to do anyway but it's getting rushed because of Sandy.

Don't forget Mr. Sump Pumpy and Mrs. Gutter

Sump Pumpy should be good - the previous owners installed a battery backup (but I have to check it) and I know the main pump works as the condensate from the furnace dumps into it.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 edit
said by itguy05:

Sump Pumpy should be good - the previous owners installed a battery backup (but I have to check it) and I know the main pump works as the condensate from the furnace dumps into it.

Yeah, my sump pit's bottom is still curing (Poured new concrete last week), but IF that pit sees action for the first time in ages, it will work.

Looks like the GFS model for the hurricane says that Sandy might drive near Montreal. I'm gonna fill up my gas tanks just in case as well.

Madame Genny is still a virgin, we'll see if she gets to pop her cherry next week. However, the trees already lost most of their leaves, so I doubt they'll do some damage to the power lines.

I won't hold my breath, but I'll be semi-ready (And get more ready if the forecast holds).
What matters is the sump pump and gutters. Rain is for sure, power outage, unlikely.

I feel sad for the kids on Halloween, it will be quite rainy. Actually, I feel sad for me too! (I'll be stuck outside with my kid).

edit - OKAY, the model for Sandy JUST changed in between this post and now. Now the GFS model shows it won't go anywhere near Montreal.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SwedishRider
I'm not sure how I feel so far... they did a lot of cutting back trees over the summer here.. More so then I've seen in about 4 years.. I wonder if people are just over thinking things here

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to SwedishRider
Ok so I went to the Quick-stop and bought 20 gal of NON-ETHANLOL gas for the generator and filled the wife's SUV up with regular.

Came home and ran generator until hot, shut down and changed the oil. Penzoil 10W30 is all that's ever been it since I bought it in 1997.

Running great. with a 3000 watt load the voltage is stable 120.1, 120.3, 120 etc and frequency is 60.1, 60.0. etc. Can't ask for anything any better.

Now just sit and wait. It keeps moving closer to us with each update.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SwedishRider
It's going south from CT now I don't think I will bother getting gas for the generator now

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Subaru:

It's going south from CT now I don't think I will bother getting gas for the generator now

Just like it changed today, it can change back tomorrow.
It's still forecasted to come mighty close to CT.
The wind radius (just check that box in the Wundermap forecast) is even larger.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I would still get gas. If I recall correctly, Irene's path in 8/2011 was not set in stone until only a little before it actually hit where it did. They say this storm is geographically-large, and the wind radius would extend out quite far from the center.

By Saturday night/Sunday AM, they will have a much better idea of where this thing will actually hit.

In the AM, cars get filled up and 25 gallons of fuel on standby for the generator. Last year, I had 4 of my neighbor's trees (honey locust) fall on my roof. A shallow rooted tree, I have one left that will probably come down and a crew will be here in the AM to remove it. $1,100 but well worth it, as if it fell, it would be enough to do some serious damage to the house at 70 feet tall.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SwedishRider
Whatever the forecast turns out to be, this is a perfect excuse to start early for the winter preparations. I don't want to be prepping my generator shed when it is 30f outside. And I need to bring in the garage my patio furniture, anchor down my BBQ and cover it, remove the bug screens from the windows, etc etc. It's all stuff I'd have to do anyway.

As for fuel, I live in the suburbs of a metropolis. No matter the power outages, most people don't have generators and over half of the area WILL have power. Gas stations won't run out (but I'll keep 15 gallons on hand).

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to SwedishRider
Click for full size
Just gets worse

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to SwedishRider
I am barely within that Circle part in WV I hope like hell it doesn't affect me(I hear maybe WV maybe get 1 to 2ft of snow?!?!)
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by Zorack:

I am barely within that Circle part in WV I hope like hell it doesn't affect me(I hear maybe WV maybe get 1 to 2ft of snow?!?!)

It is my understanding that the circle/borders represent the margin of error for the projected direct path, not the just simply the effected area.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

said by Jeffrey:

It is my understanding that the circle/borders represent the margin of error for the projected direct path, not the just simply the effected area.

Correct

The affected area isn't shown as it would be way too huge if you mix in the margin of error.
You can have an idea of what the affected area looks like from the center point by clicking on "wind radius" in the wundermap and looking at where the hurricane was and the radius around it.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to Jack_in_VA
Click for full size
said by Jack_in_VA:

Just gets worse

I'm not so sure about that. Some of the weather channels here are now saying that the European model is moving it's prediction at least 150 miles northward toward Jersey. Here's the updated map. That would make it worse here in Connecticut as the eastern side has the higher wind speeds... and it's predicted to hit when an astronomically high tide is present along CT's coast.

I would think that lessens the blow to you in VA Jack. But bad news for folks here though.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider
After how many hours of use should I change the oil in my generator? What is standard/typical?

EDIT: Manual says every 100 hours... but that seems like a lot of hours between changes...hmm...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Jack_in_VA
Click for full size
Newest model, posted moments ago. Line in red is the American model, and the European model is slowly starting to agree...

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to SwedishRider
If you were in Mass, you would have to use a double throw transfer switch. I don't think code allows interlock kits.
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by IowaCowboy:

If you were in Mass, you would have to use a double throw transfer switch. I don't think code allows interlock kits.

You'd have to check with your local building inspector, but here, they are legal. Mine was fully inspected and approved... and not a moment too soon...

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

After how many hours of use should I change the oil in my generator? What is standard/typical?

EDIT: Manual says every 100 hours... but that seems like a lot of hours between changes...hmm...

first 5 hours though u gotta change.

100 hours is MAX on light load

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by alkizmo:

first 5 hours though u gotta change.

100 hours is MAX on light load

I've already done the first change to flush out the genny. Manual said to do that at 20 hours... so I ran it on and off earlier in the year to hit that mark and then flush it.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

Mine (Honda) says 20 hours initial break-in then every 50 hours thereafter.

I use synthetic oil, so I believe that following the mfg recommendation is OK.

When I did the first change (during last year's snow storm) I saw the small metal flakes from the break in but the oil looked almost new.

I did another change 6 months after and I did one today.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SwedishRider
So are you guys in CT changing your tune back to "OMG NEED GAS!" ?

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to SwedishRider
The circles are only the cone of uncertainty FOR THE EYE OF THE STORM - not the entire impacted area. This storm is expected to be a monster when it joins with that cold front coming from the west - and that's what will generate so much snow. If I was you guys in the northeast - I'd be spending this weekend getting ready.

Good luck.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to itguy05
Click for full size
Looks like I need more than a generator.

Anonuser

join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI
reply to SwedishRider
Sorry, not trying to thread crap, just one alternative I did when power went out.

I have a bunch of generators, as I rent out my larger ones, but no point in running them if the powers only going to be out a short while. I am working on a disconnect box so that I can plug in to the house easier.
Anyways, I used my Electric Car (Alfa Romeo 164) to power my home during power outtage.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ZYEThfKWk

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
If I had an electric car I'd consider that too. (But I don't).

I saw an article about that in QST (a ham radio magazine) a few months ago.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to scooper
said by scooper:

The circles are only the cone of uncertainty FOR THE EYE OF THE STORM - not the entire impacted area.

I know, but yesterday night, CT went out of that "uncertainty" area.
Now they are back in.
Well, NOW they are back out.
Montreal is almost in.

Last year, Irene's eye passed a couple of hundred miles south of Montreal, and it was just a renmnent of a tropical storm by then. Yet we still had a lot of power outages.

My preparations are continuing this weekend.

I just hope the "daily" green waste collectors pass before tuesday. I have 16 bags of leafs at the curb, AND THEY MAKE US USE PAPER FREAKING BAGS! I cant take them inside.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

A boat?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by fifty nine:

said by pende_tim:

A boat?

A life jacket !

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to alkizmo
Everyone around here are trying to get their boats out of the water.