1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: Generator Time!!!

We have family up from Florida now not because of the storm but just how they set the timing of visiting... They don't think it's going to do much.. but from what I remember I think out west was getting hit with a snow storm?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Ok so I went to the Quick-stop and bought 20 gal of NON-ETHANLOL gas for the generator and filled the wife's SUV up with regular.

Came home and ran generator until hot, shut down and changed the oil. Penzoil 10W30 is all that's ever been it since I bought it in 1997.

Running great. with a 3000 watt load the voltage is stable 120.1, 120.3, 120 etc and frequency is 60.1, 60.0. etc. Can't ask for anything any better.

Now just sit and wait. It keeps moving closer to us with each update.

Bought a generator during the October snowstorm. Just installed a transfer switch at Home Depot last month and installed it myself.

The oil I use in my generator is Briggs & Stratton synthetic 5W30 to maintain the warranty coverage on my genset. My generator is a Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder 5500 watt generator. Running my usual loads will draw about 1000 watts.

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
God if I can ever afford it,I'd like to install a whole house generator...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Zorack:

God if I can ever afford it,I'd like to install a whole house generator...

You know this had me thinking today Why does someone want the whole house to have power if the power goes out? What I mean is what's bad about just having the must have things like fridge, Hot water or stove & TV?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

You know this had me thinking today Why does someone want the whole house to have power if the power goes out? What I mean is what's bad about just having the must have things like fridge, Hot water or stove & TV?

It's nice to have things like heat, air conditioning, sump pumps, well pumps, and other essentials to work as needed.

Last storm outage here was almost 3 days. I have a well. We didn't have water for 3 days. Now, I can plug the well pump into my generator. My neighbor came over and knocked on my door to ask if he can plug in his sump pump if needed. He apparently gets alot of water in...

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

said by John97:

said by Subaru:

It's nice to have things like heat, air conditioning, sump pumps, well pumps, and other essentials to work as needed.

Last storm outage here was almost 3 days. I have a well. We didn't have water for 3 days. Now, I can plug the well pump into my generator. My neighbor came over and knocked on my door to ask if he can plug in his sump pump if needed. He apparently gets alot of water in...

Bingo!

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

Annmarie to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I think it was last year just before Irene since the tickets are still on it but I was able to purchase one of the last remaining, according to the shop, generators in Suffolk County.
I called and called all the smaller stores and lawn mower shops.
One had that busy signal that sounded like it was off the hook so I kept calling that one over and over.

The person answered the phone actually saying "if you are calling about a generator we have one and I will hold it with a credit card".

It is orange and it's name is Bertha.
»www.allenlawnmower.com/s ··· 161.html
2 refrigerators, an AC and a few this and thats.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Bought a generator during the October snowstorm. Just installed a transfer switch at Home Depot last month and installed it myself.

The oil I use in my generator is Briggs & Stratton synthetic 5W30 to maintain the warranty coverage on my genset. My generator is a Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder 5500 watt generator. Running my usual loads will draw about 1000 watts.

I think since I've been using Penzoil 10W30 since 1997 in my Honda Generator and in my John Deere mower with a B&S twin cylinder 22 HP engine I'll stick with it. I'm not paying $13 for a quart of B&S oil.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

fifty nine to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I use mobil 1 synthetic, $6/quart.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Damn good oil. That's what I use in my vehicle, and lawnmower.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Click for full size
Transfer Switch
Click for full size
Inlet Box
I put these in last month. I had some voice in my head that said that we were going to have a major storm over the winter. And considering last year with the June 1st tornado (did not hit my house), Irene (did not lose power during Irene), and the October Snowstorm (lost power for three days and scored a generator after waiting two hours in line at Lowe's), I decided to install a transfer switch.

As a Boy Scout during my youth: Be Prepared.

I did the install myself. Looking forward to living on the grid for a few days like XXXXXXXXXXX1 See Profile but my generator uses good old gasoline. Generac makes a propane generator (which I would have gotten but it is only 3250 watts but it would be good as storing propane is easier than storing gasoline). There are gas lines running down the street but I don't have the $ to install a standby generator and associated costs of running a gas line. The house is all electric.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

1 edit

Pureblood to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
just a note, synthetic oil is not recommended for use with propane and natural gas systems. synthetic oils could cause carbon build up in propane and NG systems. you want to use oils like Exxon Super Flow or Castrol GTX with low ash content. I had Mobil1 in my gen and once I converted to NG I dumped it for Castrol GTX
edit: typo

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
IowaCowboy, you'll want to fix that loose conduit attached to your meter.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Pureblood

Premium Member

to Pureblood
said by Pureblood:

just a note, synthetic oil is not recommended for use with propane and natural gas systems. synthetic oils could cause carbon build up in propane and NG systems. you want to use oils like Exxon Super Flow or Castrol GTX with low ash content. I had Mobil1 in my gen and once I converted to NG I dumped it for Castrol GTX

I run Castrol GTX 10W-30 in my propane generator. So far, so good!

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
and the purple one is saying it might go to my parts.
chip89

chip89 to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
It does not look good for me as will as in live in clveland

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to Pureblood

to Pureblood
said by Pureblood:

Can you provide some more details on this? Generac requires synthetic oil in their air-cooled propane/NG gensets.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by H_T_R_N:

The piece of mind knowing that if it did go out you were covered, was almost as good as not having to use it.

You know what? It's too true.
I'd rather have the generator and never have to use it, than having to use it frequently, or not having a generator and needing it that one time.

I mean, aside from man testosterone chest pounding pride that comes from showing off having a generator that runs the house furnace, tv, computer, fridge, etc, it's actually a freaking hassle to have to run outside in a snow storm to start it up, worry about gas and worry about whether or not to let it run over night.

I haven't used mine enough to worry about it honestly, I'd be better off selling the thing. Since I bought it before hurricane season last year I've used it a grand total of 6 hours. We'll see how this season goes, but since I don't have a hardwire connection like so many of you I'm stuck with the extension cord through the window, which is not worth the hastle if the power is out less than 6 hours imo, especially just to power a fridge and some lights.
ame101
join:2002-05-02
Torrington, CT

ame101 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Click for full size
Must be the end times Zero bread at BJ's yesterday.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

What's on the racks?
ame101
join:2002-05-02
Torrington, CT

ame101

A few muffins and stuff.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Better than nothing, but depends on what you have. Grab 'em, and bagels too. Everything goes with anything in a pinch.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

said by alkizmo:

said by H_T_R_N:

The piece of mind knowing that if it did go out you were covered, was almost as good as not having to use it.

You know what? It's too true.
I'd rather have the generator and never have to use it, than having to use it frequently, or not having a generator and needing it that one time.

I mean, aside from man testosterone chest pounding pride that comes from showing off having a generator that runs the house furnace, tv, computer, fridge, etc, it's actually a freaking hassle to have to run outside in a snow storm to start it up, worry about gas and worry about whether or not to let it run over night.

I haven't used mine enough to worry about it honestly, I'd be better off selling the thing. Since I bought it before hurricane season last year I've used it a grand total of 6 hours. We'll see how this season goes, but since I don't have a hardwire connection like so many of you I'm stuck with the extension cord through the window, which is not worth the hastle if the power is out less than 6 hours imo, especially just to power a fridge and some lights.

Manual transfer switches are not that difficult to install if you are good with electrical wiring. The Reliance kit at Home Depot includes the inlet box and you'll need 10/3 wire along with it. The kit includes a DVD on how to install it but the video is available on YouTube. As with any electrical work, if you have ANY doubts about your ability to do it or feel the slightest bit uncomfortable doing it, hire an electrician.

It's best to install these things before the need arises like I did so you don't rush through the process. If you wait for disaster, every Home Depot within a 100 mile radius of the disaster zone will be out of stock on both transfer switches and generators along with generator accessories. And finding an electrician will be as fun as finding an A/C technician during a heat wave as electricians are not just installing generators but repairing storm damage as well (such as repairing meter sockets and service enterance equipment that is not the responsibility of the poco).
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to ame101

Premium Member

to ame101
The Big Y in Ludlow, MA looked like people were stocking the bomb shelters during the Cuban missile crisis.

I am not old enough to remember that era but I have seen the movies about that era. My mother remembers the bomb drills in school.

Every last case of Poland Springs water was sold out. All they had left was that crappy Dasani water (that Weird Al Yankovic specifically prohibits in his backstage writers).

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired
said by PSWired:

said by Pureblood:

Can you provide some more details on this? Generac requires synthetic oil in their air-cooled propane/NG gensets.

Sure, for people like myself who did the self-conversion conventional oil with low ash content is recommended as per this post. That said I could still use synthetic as long as it is low ash content. Another reference to NG & Propane systems could be found here under APPLICATIONS. For you this is something that might be worth a call to Generac to see what they say, cite the posts I provided and see what their response is. I highly doubt they will insist your use oil with a HIGH ash content.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to ame101

to ame101
said by ame101:

Must be the end times Zero bread at BJ's yesterday.

We see that for every storm that comes around here - we call it "making french toast" .

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by scooper:

we call it "making french toast" .

Hmmm french toast.
So easy to make, yet so tasty.

OMG

GUYS

GO BUY MAPLE SYRUP BEFORE IT IS SOLD OUT!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

I stocked up on milk but only because we have three very young kids in the house and I didn't want to have to run out of milk only to find out that people bought up all of it to make french toast.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Click for full size
I don't know what to make sense of this:

We're supposed to get the strongest winds (yet weak) in 24 hours, which is when Sandy is still over the water.

Then when Sandy is right over our heads (Thursday/Friday), we're forecasted to get a "breeze".

I think one forecast isn't talking to the other

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
The winds are already starting to pick up here