Search similar:

uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

3 recommendations

alkizmo to SuperNet

to SuperNet

Re: How do I extend the dryer vent outside?

Where, in your kid's drawing, is the 5" gap?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

The dryer tube connecting to the outside vent..
The Dryer tube just barley touches the out side vent tube..

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

said by SuperNet:

said by alkizmo:

So is there a 5" gap inside the wall, where your kid wrote "IN SIDE" ?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by C_Chipperson:

said by SuperNet:

said by alkizmo:

So is there a 5" gap inside the wall, where your kid wrote "IN SIDE" ?

Yes, but I can easily get to the "gap" if I take the vent tube out and make it longer.. and then there won't be a 5" gap.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to SuperNet

Mod

to SuperNet
I would cut the drywall out behind the dryer. Disconnect the 90 where you have the "dryer tube" label pointing from the straight run going outside. Then take out the entire straight run and rebuild it to the correct length. Tape all joints with aluminum tape, but do not use any screws to hold it together. Slide the new, 5 inch longer tube back into the wall from the outside and then reconnect the 90. Repair drywall and you are done.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

Yes, but I can easily get to the "gap" if I take the vent tube out and make it longer.. and then there won't be a 5" gap.

Yes.
Take out the tube
Why do you think you need to open up the wall for that?
1. Remove the dryer's flex tube
2. Grab the "in side" tube
3. Pull it out

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Wow...what a confusing thread. If I'm reading it correctly (and it's entirely possible I'm not), the dryer vent runs inside the wall, and it's nearly impossible to get to or replace?
If so (the original problem aside), that doesn't seem to be such a great setup.
Mainly because those dryer vents should be cleaned or replaced occasionally. I just replaced mine (long over due), and it was so loaded with lint, it was for all practical purposes about half of the original diameter.
Not only is that a fire hazard, but with a new vent, my dryer dries in half the time now.
Ok, back to your (our), regularly scheduled confusion.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I am with jabarnut See Profile, not sure what is going on and confused by your diagram, pictures and description. Been following this thread the last couple of days

But I heartily agree with him, that if it is running as is interpreted, then you need to shorten the run and make sure the inside of the vent can be easily cleaned. Avoid as many joints and 90 degree turns as possible. All the way from the underside of the Dryer to the very tip of the outside vent. So it can be cleaned easily.

At one time, I specialized in Commercial Insurance Adjusting. I worked many fires that were caused by improperly cleaned dryers and vents. I mainly represented the Third Parties that had installed, manufactured, sold, designed, or had some involvement with the venting or even the manufacturing of the Dryer. It was usually the Homeowner's Insurance looking to be reimbursed from these various entities.

Usually the Damage [read cost] was substantial. I therefore could justify digging deep with my investigations [was working on the billable hour, plus mileage and expenses]. After an "event", all kinds of records are created and many "eyes" have looked at the original install and possible "causes". The trick was to find those "eyes" and associated reports. Cannot recall paying for any of them, as it was always determined to be the fault of the Homeowner for not properly maintaining and cleaning the system.

hth

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I fail to see a problem if the installation is as diagrammed. Straight metal duct from outside going 8 to 10 feet inside the wall to a 90 and through the wall to the utility room. That would be a proper install. What I don't understand why it is now short. I still don't think the OP has really given us all of the details. Would still like to see a better pic from the outside and also one behind the dryer.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

I agree with you. The concern I have, that another brought up, conjured up thoughts from my past, involving safety. For some reason, as I recall, most of the fires occurred in the Fall or Winter.

The OP has not been really clear in what they are trying to accomplish by the subsequent posts, the diagram and pictures. And I have seen some real "hack" jobs or "there, I fixed it" solutions over the years.

And this thread results in a lot of guessing/assuming by all that try to post solutions to help.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Totally agree -- maybe the OP can try to be more forthcoming with info.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Everything is fixed now. What a mess it was, there was a break inside the wall with 2 tubes. It must of been like that for years. And luckily, there was drop ceiling where the break was but still wasn't easy to get to. Anyway after fixing the break we got a longer tube and extended it 3in and everything is great now

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
I wonder how much dryer lint is inside that wall !

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Hall:

I wonder how much dryer lint is inside that wall !

Same here, Should I worry about that? Since the tubes were split should I worry about mold? The tube was about 6 feet.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

Is this the same room and "furace" as in your other posting? You have a drop ceiling below your sump pump?

»Any of this look like mold???

Well, anyways, you got it fixed.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by jrs8084:

Is this the same room and "furace" as in your other posting? You have a drop ceiling below your sump pump?

»Any of this look like mold???

Well, anyways, you got it fixed.

Close to it but other side of wall.