Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor

Premium Member

Hurricane Sandy

Click for full size
Click for full size
Weather models, as of now, appear to show Hurricane Sandy may have the potential to impact the CT area sometime Monday or Tuesday of next week. Weather.com is forecasting tropical storm conditions are possible for coastal CT on Monday.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I've been following this pretty closely too.. Seems more and more likely that we won't dodge this one. I'm getting my generator setup warmed up this weekend for the main event next week. Any problems I may have I want ironed out now rather than when I need it.

Otherwise, I'll batten down the hatches like everyone else and hope for the best. Other CT forum regulars might be well advised to dust off those generators this weekend and make sure they're prepped for the worst.. just in case..

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
I only heard about this storm yesterday when on the citydata.com site I guess I will buy some fuel this weekend.

gregamy
join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

gregamy to bennor

to bennor
Jim, what's the brand name on that outside box you're using? I was thinking of doing something like that, but with an RV/boat sealed plug.

That's one of those "Interlockkit"? Yet another item I've procrastinated on...

»www.interlockkit.com/

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
They mentioned the possibility of snow along with 2-3 days of "weather mayhem". Wonderful.

O.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
It's a GenTran Inlet Box: »www.amazon.com/GenTran-2 ··· =gentran
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
said by gregamy:

That's one of those "Interlockkit"? Yet another item I've procrastinated on...

»www.interlockkit.com/

It is an interlock kit, but the one I have is made by GE for my GE panel: »www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· Nzmf5Wb0

The ones you linked to are third party aftermarket interlocks. I'd look to see if your panel manufacturer makes one specifically for your panel... it's the best way to go if available. Either way, check with your local building inspector before you buy to make sure whatever you install meets local codes. Mine was approved without issue.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

geek

Premium Member

Click for full size
GEe that interlock looks oddly familiar . I think I paid $46 at the depot.

gregamy
join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

gregamy to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

The ones you linked to are third party aftermarket interlocks. I'd look to see if your panel manufacturer makes one specifically for your panel...

Nope. I've got an older (1984) Crouse Hinds panel, they won't have anything like that. The Interlocks place does, though.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
said by orion940:

They mentioned the possibility of snow along with 2-3 days of "weather mayhem". Wonderful.

O.

I could see that happening, I think in Northern CA some places got a foot of snow already? Just a matter of time it gets here.. I hope it's better then last year i never got to go out to the slopes last year..
bennor
Premium Member
New Haven, CT

bennor

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Estimated track appears to be moving west now with landfall possible somewhere on the NJ coast on Tuesday.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
Windsor, CT

orion940 to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
If we cancel Halloween again, what am I going to do with all this heart healthy candy?

O.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT

geek

Premium Member

I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to geek

Premium Member

to geek
said by geek:

GEe that interlock looks oddly familiar . I think I paid $46 at the depot.

Nice! Wonder where you got that idea..

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
Great. Weather channel just did an average of all the tracks. Right into Connecticut.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Harddrive:

Great. Weather channel just did an average of all the tracks. Right into Connecticut.

Not sure why... models are moving closer to DC by the hour... CT may be spared even a decent glancing blow at this point..

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
Windsor, CT

2 edits

1 recommendation

orion940

Premium Member

Gas is going donw a little round here. So in the next couple dats, We're all gonna be making Mr. Bill noises when the gauging starts. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo.

O.
bennor
Premium Member
New Haven, CT

bennor

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Models now predicting landfall in the Delmarva area of southern Jersey.
bennor

bennor

Premium Member

Gov. Malloy declares state of emergency...
»www.ctpost.com/news/arti ··· 5692.php

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4 to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
My new toy, purchased last Summer. Looks like it bought it right at $700. I see the same model listing for $950 now.

Don't want to wait for power until line crews show up from Alaska.

Still haven't been able to get electrician to install, so it looks like extension cords this time around. Not gonna do backfeed - too many unknowns. At least we will have heat, refrigeration, and a few lights.

Some good weather links

Hurricane blog
»www.wunderground.com/blo ··· num=2277

Forecast without the BS
»m.wund.com/

Interesting note - due to very warm atmosphere conditions, many weather folk have been insisting that 20th century flood control methods will not work in the 21st century.

Irene nearly flooded the NYC subway system.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Grumpy4:

Still haven't been able to get electrician to install, so it looks like extension cords this time around. Not gonna do backfeed - too many unknowns. At least we will have heat, refrigeration, and a few lights

What are you thinking... interlock kit or transfer panel?
bennor
Premium Member
New Haven, CT

bennor

Premium Member

Predictions from the following site:
»originalweatherblog.blog ··· pot.com/

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:
What are you thinking... interlock kit or transfer panel?

I'm thinking power the entire existing breaker panel* and use a manual transfer switch. Not sure what the electrician will offer or code allows.

*Gen set won't run whole house, but the flexibility of the entire existing panel would be nice. Not sure yet if this is permissible. Existing breaker panel is 200 amp service installed in 2000.

It would be good to have heat and refrigeration and maybe just the first floor power and maybe the master bedroom. The electrician in mind has generator hookup experience. Now, if I could just get him to show...
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Grumpy4:

I'm thinking power the entire existing breaker panel* and use a manual transfer switch. Not sure what the electrician will offer or code allows.

*Gen set won't run whole house, but the flexibility of the entire existing panel would be nice. Not sure yet if this is permissible. Existing breaker panel is 200 amp service installed in 2000.

It would be good to have heat and refrigeration and maybe just the first floor power and maybe the master bedroom. The electrician in mind has generator hookup experience. Now, if I could just get him to show...

I'd vote for an interlock kit for your panel like what I have. Many panel manufacturers make interlock kits for their own products, but in case they don't, you can get aftermarket interlocks (that are UL listed) here: »www.interlockkit.com/

You'd be able to run any combination of circuits provided you don't exceed generator capacity. It's the best way to go with a portable generator installation.
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
PM'd you.
bennor
Premium Member
New Haven, CT

bennor

Premium Member

Looks like some towns are initiating mandatory and voluntary evacuations...
»www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather ··· Jk29G-Q0

BRIDGEPORT -- Mayor Bill Finch orders "Mandatory Evacuation for all residents living in low-lying areas as of 12 noon, Sunday, October 28." Three schools -- Jettie Tisdale, 275 Hollister Avenue; Geraldine Johnson, 427 Lexington Avenue, and Cesar Batalla, 606 Howard Avenue -- will be open as shelters.

EAST HAVEN -- Mandatory evacuations for low areas beginning at 8 a.m. Sunday, to be completed by 6 p.m. East Haven High School will be open as a shelter.

FAIRFIELD -- From First Selectman Michael Tetreau; "For residents of the beach area, we are asking for a voluntary evacuation starting Sunday morning with MANDATORY EVACUATION beginning Sunday at noon." Shelter opens at Ludlowe High School at Noon.

NEW LONDON -- Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio on Saturday declared a state of emergency in effect. Emergency Operations Center has been activated. City says the Water St. parking garage will have free parking for residents from Sunday to Wednesday. Some residents urged to voluntarily evacuate.

OLD SAYBROOK -- "Emergency Evacuation Notice... If your street is on the list, Public Safety STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that you EVACUATE your home when asked." Visit www.StormSandy.com , an interactive, real-time website used to assist the community during the preparation, response, and recovery of Hurricane Sandy.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
Just a matter of waiting now.. I still have to head to work tomorrow morning 4:45 AM but maybe traffic wont be so bad going home.
Subaru

Subaru to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
Windsor, CT

orion940 to bennor

Premium Member

to bennor
wheres that? I pd 3.699 in W Springfield tonight.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Call the State over that BS! Report that station.