Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to Grumpy

Re: Hurricane Sandy

said by Grumpy:

Still haven't been able to get electrician to install, so it looks like extension cords this time around. Not gonna do backfeed - too many unknowns. At least we will have heat, refrigeration, and a few lights

What are you thinking... interlock kit or transfer panel?

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to bennor

Predictions from the following site:
»originalweatherblog.blogspot.com···pot.com/

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:
What are you thinking... interlock kit or transfer panel?

I'm thinking power the entire existing breaker panel* and use a manual transfer switch. Not sure what the electrician will offer or code allows.

*Gen set won't run whole house, but the flexibility of the entire existing panel would be nice. Not sure yet if this is permissible. Existing breaker panel is 200 amp service installed in 2000.

It would be good to have heat and refrigeration and maybe just the first floor power and maybe the master bedroom. The electrician in mind has generator hookup experience. Now, if I could just get him to show...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

Click for full size
said by Grumpy:

I'm thinking power the entire existing breaker panel* and use a manual transfer switch. Not sure what the electrician will offer or code allows.

*Gen set won't run whole house, but the flexibility of the entire existing panel would be nice. Not sure yet if this is permissible. Existing breaker panel is 200 amp service installed in 2000.

It would be good to have heat and refrigeration and maybe just the first floor power and maybe the master bedroom. The electrician in mind has generator hookup experience. Now, if I could just get him to show...

I'd vote for an interlock kit for your panel like what I have. Many panel manufacturers make interlock kits for their own products, but in case they don't, you can get aftermarket interlocks (that are UL listed) here: »www.interlockkit.com/

You'd be able to run any combination of circuits provided you don't exceed generator capacity. It's the best way to go with a portable generator installation.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Grumpy

PM'd you.

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to bennor

Looks like some towns are initiating mandatory and voluntary evacuations...
»www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather/severe_···Jk29G-Q0

BRIDGEPORT -- Mayor Bill Finch orders "Mandatory Evacuation for all residents living in low-lying areas as of 12 noon, Sunday, October 28." Three schools -- Jettie Tisdale, 275 Hollister Avenue; Geraldine Johnson, 427 Lexington Avenue, and Cesar Batalla, 606 Howard Avenue -- will be open as shelters.

EAST HAVEN -- Mandatory evacuations for low areas beginning at 8 a.m. Sunday, to be completed by 6 p.m. East Haven High School will be open as a shelter.

FAIRFIELD -- From First Selectman Michael Tetreau; "For residents of the beach area, we are asking for a voluntary evacuation starting Sunday morning with MANDATORY EVACUATION beginning Sunday at noon." Shelter opens at Ludlowe High School at Noon.

NEW LONDON -- Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio on Saturday declared a state of emergency in effect. Emergency Operations Center has been activated. City says the Water St. parking garage will have free parking for residents from Sunday to Wednesday. Some residents urged to voluntarily evacuate.

OLD SAYBROOK -- "Emergency Evacuation Notice... If your street is on the list, Public Safety STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that you EVACUATE your home when asked." Visit www.StormSandy.com , an interactive, real-time website used to assist the community during the preparation, response, and recovery of Hurricane Sandy.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

Just a matter of waiting now.. I still have to head to work tomorrow morning 4:45 AM but maybe traffic wont be so bad going home.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
reply to bennor

wheres that? I pd 3.699 in W Springfield tonight.
--
Windsor, Home of the 2012 Yard Vermin Olympics

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to Subaru

Call the State over that BS! Report that station.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

said by Harddrive:

For anyone that gets this

»www.ct.gov/dcp/site/default.asp

I was in Norwalk today and the Shell station at 714 Connecticut & Richards Ave was $4.29 14 hours ago and now it's $4.49

The station I posted above is 520 E Putnam Ave & Indian Field Rd in Greenwich.

If you suspect that you are paying an excessive price for gasoline or diesel, please call the Gasoline Complaint Hotline at 1-800-842-2649.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
Windsor, CT

That's .50-.60 above average prices in the state. What kinds of slime are operating the station?
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Real true scum! I will swing by one more time when I get off work later this morning and if it's still the same I will be calling.

I don't know what the process is but perhaps they need their wrist slapped.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

Isnt that a decent price considering demand has, in most cases, out paced current supplies?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
Windsor, CT

1 recommendation

No, that's price gouging.

O.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to bennor

Gov. Dannel Malloy said state highways will close when sustained winds from Sandy reach 45 miles per hour, and a truck ban will take place in the coming hours.
»www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather/severe_···y-monday

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to bennor

Yep, orders state highways closed at 1pm to non emergency vehilces.

»www.darientimes.com/11011/malloy···adlines/

Governor Dan P. Malloy today ordered road closures for all state highways. The closures will be implemented in two phases. At 11 a.m., trucks will be prohibited from operating on limited access highways. At 1 p.m.., state highways will be closed to all non-emergency related vehicles.
Road closure order...
»www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/lib/m···ures.pdf

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to orion940

said by orion940:

O.

If that was the only station around that wasnt empty, wouldnt that be the normal price?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to orion940

said by orion940:

Maybe, maybe not. But it helps to understand what the state of CT considers price gouging (or profiteering).
»www.ct.gov/dcp/cwp/view.asp?a=1629&q=430738
Profiteering
State law prohibits any person, firm or corporation from profiteering -- that is, increasing the retail price of its items during a major disaster, until the disaster has been declared over. The same holds true in the event of a statewide or regional shortage of a product or service, if the Governor proclaims a supply emergency.

For example, raising the price of gasoline, food, or water during a declared state of emergency is illegal. However, the law does not prohibit price fluctuation as part of the normal course of business.

Anyone who suspects that a business is engaging in profiteering may file a written complaint with the Department of Consumer Protection.

Relevant Statute: Title 42, Chapter 743h
»www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap743h.htm
If those prices were being charged before the Governor issued his state of emergency order it might not be considered price gouging/profiteering.

One should keep in mind that the price you pay at the pump includes the price the station has to pay to replace what your pumping, NOT what the station paid for the gasoline already in their tanks.

To prove price gouging/profiteering one would have to prove that the station charged far in excess of normal price fluctuations for that product.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

So then the station is Profiteering the prices are still the same and the other station across the street is still $4.19 that's a HUGE jump in price when on normal days both run about the same price for regular.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Grumpy

Had the notion of a suicide cord with my constant on site low load supervision. Nary a twistlock four prong male plug to be found around here for many miles.

Just as well - Burning down the house and being denied insurance coverage due to an illegal electricity activity is not high on my to-do list anyway. I have the generator under the deck and under a plywood rain hat with extension cords ready to go at the windows for heat, fridge / microwave -- {one at a time,} TV DVD / Netflix box Satellite TV box and internet boxes. 20 Gigs of pod player with for or five audiobooks on it. Coleman gasoline lantern* with fresh mantles and gas, kero lanterns, candles, LED flashlights, DeHavilland Beaver with full sea plane setup (OK, that one was fantasy...)

F---!
Forgot the milk and bread. Good thing mother in law brought Bourbon & Cocaine...
juuuuust kidding.
She brought Heroin and Tequila.

Hey San-dy -- BRING IT!

*Pressurized gasoline spraying white hot flame through a lil bitty silk sock -- does it get much better than that? ;-}

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

So then the station is Profiteering the prices are still the same and the other station across the street is still $4.19 that's a HUGE jump in price when on normal days both run about the same price for regular.

I paid $3.79 Saturday morning for gas in New Haven. So is $4.19 at that station you mentioned two days later profiteering? Who knows.

That particular station may be trying to cash in by profiteering or it's possible the station's supplier jacked their prices up and the station has to cover by charging a higher price. Or it could be an extreme case of zone pricing.

If it was the only station with gas in the area and roads to other stations were blocked by downed trees I could see profiteering charge possibly being made, but since you say a station across the street has a cheaper price by apparently 30 cents, then it's not really profiteering since people could go to the other station and buy cheaper gas.

Every once in a while I see wild swings between gas stations in my area (New Haven), probably due to zone pricing. As much as 25 cents between one station's price and another one a mile or so down the road.

gregamy

join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

...If you suspect that you are paying an excessive price for gasoline or diesel, please...

...go buy it somewhere else where it's cheaper.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by gregamy:

said by Subaru:

...If you suspect that you are paying an excessive price for gasoline or diesel, please...

...go buy it somewhere else where it's cheaper.

I did

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
Windsor, CT
reply to bennor

Hows everyone doing? I managed to get by with about a 30-40 minute power outage noon on Monday, couple hiccups after that, and no tree issues.

O.
--

Darknessfall

join:2012-08-17
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

No outage at all here in southern CT. Just a couple random flickers in the lights when the heavy wind was blowing through. A branch fell on our roof but nothing major.
U-verse TV/Phone = No pixelation or freezes.
Comcast Internet = About the same modem signals and the same latency with 2ms jitter.

Wind was pretty heavy.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

I was out for 15 hours but I had the generator running but I was out taking pictures about all day

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to bennor

Norwich Public Utilities did a great job, just like they did last year with the two major storms. No damage, no loss of power, no loss of internet. I should have sold my generator that I bought last year for some cash.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

Video I took this morning

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB5-0m2-···youtu.be

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to bennor

Lights here in northeastern CT flickered a few times, but I never lost power, internet, cable, or telephone. Given how strong those winds were, I'm amazed that I'm able to post this right now.