NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Grumpy

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Had the notion of a suicide cord with my constant on site low load supervision. Nary a twistlock four prong male plug to be found around here for many miles.

Just as well - Burning down the house and being denied insurance coverage due to an illegal electricity activity is not high on my to-do list anyway. I have the generator under the deck and under a plywood rain hat with extension cords ready to go at the windows for heat, fridge / microwave -- {one at a time,} TV DVD / Netflix box Satellite TV box and internet boxes. 20 Gigs of pod player with for or five audiobooks on it. Coleman gasoline lantern* with fresh mantles and gas, kero lanterns, candles, LED flashlights, DeHavilland Beaver with full sea plane setup (OK, that one was fantasy...)

F---!
Forgot the milk and bread. Good thing mother in law brought Bourbon & Cocaine...
juuuuust kidding.
She brought Heroin and Tequila.

Hey San-dy -- BRING IT!

*Pressurized gasoline spraying white hot flame through a lil bitty silk sock -- does it get much better than that? ;-}

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

So then the station is Profiteering the prices are still the same and the other station across the street is still $4.19 that's a HUGE jump in price when on normal days both run about the same price for regular.

I paid $3.79 Saturday morning for gas in New Haven. So is $4.19 at that station you mentioned two days later profiteering? Who knows.

That particular station may be trying to cash in by profiteering or it's possible the station's supplier jacked their prices up and the station has to cover by charging a higher price. Or it could be an extreme case of zone pricing.

If it was the only station with gas in the area and roads to other stations were blocked by downed trees I could see profiteering charge possibly being made, but since you say a station across the street has a cheaper price by apparently 30 cents, then it's not really profiteering since people could go to the other station and buy cheaper gas.

Every once in a while I see wild swings between gas stations in my area (New Haven), probably due to zone pricing. As much as 25 cents between one station's price and another one a mile or so down the road.

gregamy

join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

...If you suspect that you are paying an excessive price for gasoline or diesel, please...

...go buy it somewhere else where it's cheaper.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

said by gregamy:

said by Subaru:

...If you suspect that you are paying an excessive price for gasoline or diesel, please...

...go buy it somewhere else where it's cheaper.

I did

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
reply to bennor

Hows everyone doing? I managed to get by with about a 30-40 minute power outage noon on Monday, couple hiccups after that, and no tree issues.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the 2012 Yard Vermin Olympics

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

No outage at all here in southern CT. Just a couple random flickers in the lights when the heavy wind was blowing through. A branch fell on our roof but nothing major.
U-verse TV/Phone = No pixelation or freezes.
Comcast Internet = About the same modem signals and the same latency with 2ms jitter.

Wind was pretty heavy.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

I was out for 15 hours but I had the generator running but I was out taking pictures about all day

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to bennor

Norwich Public Utilities did a great job, just like they did last year with the two major storms. No damage, no loss of power, no loss of internet. I should have sold my generator that I bought last year for some cash.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

Video I took this morning

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB5-0m2-···youtu.be

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to bennor

Lights here in northeastern CT flickered a few times, but I never lost power, internet, cable, or telephone. Given how strong those winds were, I'm amazed that I'm able to post this right now.

Dell User
Premium
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT
reply to bennor

No power here in the southeast corner since 4pm Monday. CL&P outage page indicated 77% of the town was out. The good news is the generator is working fine, and we have cable and phone (DSL).

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to SwedishRider

Power went off here Monday around noon. CL&P called today to inform us they have no restoration estimate. This does not look good.

House rode out the storm like a concrete bunker. Didn't feel or hear a thing. But the sign on the tree out by the road was blown off, and the numbers nailed to the tree were ripped off by the winds. Trees snapped in half all over the neighborhood.

This hurricane was halfway to being as bad as Belle in '76. Still, it was pretty windy.

gregamy

join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT
reply to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

No outage at all here in southern CT. Just a couple random flickers in the lights when the heavy wind was blowing through...
Comcast Internet = About the same...
Wind was pretty heavy.

Ditto in Middletown. Wind, rain, couple power flickers, no outage, neither phone nor cable Internet interruption. DirectTV sucked most of the day, but I guess that's to be expected with a hurricane parked to the southwest... Streamed WTIC all-day coverage with Geoff Fox and Weather Channel to the big screen TV...back at work on Tuesday AM.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

I'm not sure about my job at UPS.. I went by and they have no power.. they from what I heard are trying to hook up a generator.. but this is a 3 phase building with a pretty heavy set of like 30 belt motors..

and what's the point lots of streets can't fit a truck down the streets, My concern is people who's generators are stuck on a trailer

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

They shouldn't have waited until the last freakin' minute to plan the need for a generator, in my opinion.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I'm trying to let my friend use my generator for his fridge but he is like they are so loud..

Why do people complain about this? It's hardly loud at all.. at least 4 people on his block have them and from 200 Ft away you can hardly hear them and they are no Honda.

He's still undecided he's like I have to make a hole in the door.. and I'm like what?? I ran mine in the window and under the door.. I don't want my food to go bad I don't know about you.

But yeah I agree why wait until the last min
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to bennor

Power stayed on here. Winds peaked at about 40MPH with gusts to around 55. Trees are intact. Need to put some antenna wire back up.

I'd rather run a noisy generator than not have power. Run the cords [had better be at least #12, none of that #16 junk] in the windows or the cellar door if you have one. We were quite content to listen to our 5.5KW generator for 9 days this time last year. The neighbors didn't complain about the noise. They asked to charge their phones instead.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to bennor

Southbury, CT (near the Roxbury line in back of Southbury Training School)- Lost juice at 6:15pm on Monday. It's going to be a very long time until we get it back. Two roads run up either side of the hill leading up to my neighborhood. Trees down across the road on both those routes. Luckily, there is a third way out!

So on one side of the hill is the fiber feed to Charter's node which of course I connect to. On the other side of the hill feeds the power. Both side have trees down across the road that took down power lines, cable and POTS and smashed a transformers all to pieces.

As of this morning the trees haven't even been cut yet to make the roads passable. So I'm planning on an extended outage since we are kind of in the sticks now.

Running the generator every 5-6 hours for 2 hours at a time. That's enough to cool the freezer/fridge back down to acceptable levels (we start at 23/46 and in two hours it cools to 9/38), heat the place, do the well, all that stuff. Then we plunge back into darkness for the next 5 hours. We've only gone through about 3 gallons of gas for the about 8 hours we've run it. So I'm figuring 1/2 gal/hr rate. Pulled right up to the pump in Bristol this morning to replenish fuel. So now after work, I'll head home to 15 gallons on hand and full generator (4 gals).
--
Rich. My Website

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

I'm trying to let my friend use my generator for his fridge but he is like they are so loud..

Why do people complain about this?

Well, there are those people out there who if they won a 300 million dollar Powerball, would complain about having to hire a funds manager or how a 50 mile drive to sign the award paperwork is such a hardship.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

LOL well I guess he is using ice for his stuff.. mine genny is only 68db hardly loud at all

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT

Damn - I'd worship the ground you walked on if you offered me a generator in a power outage.

Can't make everybody happy...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah :-/ oh well I tried.. I highly highly doubt he is going to have power back before the end of the week I will just keep it on standby hah

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to bennor

The rest of the neighborhood is back up, but our street is still dark.
Running on generator.. avg 1/2 gallon per hour. That puts a price on this event.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

7000W?

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to bennor

My 7k is supposed to do around 12 hours on 6 gallons = 1/2 gallon per hour. So far I've only done a half hour welcome to my yard are all your nuts and bolts tight inside? run on it (thankfully. ) Glad it isn't LP. I think a week at The Bellagio in a suite would be cheaper than a few days worth of LP consumption.

I paid 2.899 for regular the other day

MA lower fuel tax + Shell + Stop & Shop points = $2.899

Course then again, we pay $50 for $20 of groceries, so we get a $10 gas discount for our troubles. The next nearest grocery store is 20 miles out.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to bennor

A friend has a house right on the beach in Old Saybrook. He said he doesn't even know where to start. He just had the floors done in May.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to bennor

Click for full size
The generator is holding better than I expected... I don't expect to have power restored anytime soon... Took 4 days after Irene...

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT
reply to bennor

Hope everyone is OK. I know the coastal areas got hit really hard. Hang in there.
--
I ski at Mount Snow

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

You're in WV/VA admiring the 3 feet of snow, aren't you.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
reply to bennor

Yea! Got my juice back at 8:00pm last night. Thank you to CL&P and all the line workers out there. Still no Charter service but we'll get there.
--
Rich. My Website