SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to meskinct

Re: Hurricane Sandy

So after using it a few days, how did that interlock setup work for you? Glad you went that route or would you set it up differently?

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast

It was great. The whole setup worked perfectly. I guess the only thing I would have done differently is to group the most common breakers together in the panel. Simply for ease of use. I just have to get stickies like you do to make it a bit easier for the wife. But I made her go through it all once while I sat upstairs just to make sure she knew how. She did wonderfully.

Now the only thing is I need is a way to easily identify when street power comes back on. I toyed with the idea of wiring to one of the main lugs and just having a small LED bulb sit by the panel but I like my life a little too much to gamble with doing that.
--
Rich. My Website

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

I think there is a device that you can buy that clamps around the incoming power wire (from the meter to your panel) that detects the presence or absence of electricity. That would be ideal. I've never looked into it really... I just figure when everyone else's lights go on... power is back up!

Dell User
Premium
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT
reply to bennor

Power just came back on.
Generator worked well. It Used between 7.5 and 8 gal of gas every 24 hours. That seemed reasonable based on what I've seen posted.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

Did someone delete my topic about the fuel price here? really??

Anyways the price is still the same and they been getting hammered but it's mostly NY people filling up.. They close at 10 PM so maybe I can finally get in the station and put some air in my tire.

»www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar···-3681981

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to bennor

At 5+ days with no power, few minutes ago managed to trip the generator's breaker. Guess TV, refrigerator, some lights, dryer and coffee maker are too much...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by cowboyro:

At 5+ days with no power, few minutes ago managed to trip the generator's breaker. Guess TV, refrigerator, some lights, dryer and coffee maker are too much...

Is your dryer electric or gas?

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by SwedishRider:

Is your dryer electric or gas?

Electric... I have no idea how much it draws, been too lazy to open the panel and measure... But the generator was definitely working hard...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

I've read that rule of thumb for electric dryer is 3500-4500 watts. It also depends on the particular settings, but it's really high.

That's partly why I went with a gas dryer... 500 watts max.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
reply to cowboyro

An electric dryer? Off a generator? Wow.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
reply to bennor

Click for full size
I saw this and went back to get my camera

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgntuF1-Oyc

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
reply to bennor

Power came back earlier.. just a a bit over 6 days...

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to bennor

I gotta give credit to the storm fix gods this time for getting out of state crews here early.

On the other hand, our power went out for 1/2 a second only.

If I had spent $48 a day for generator fuel for 6 days....

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to bennor

just got power back