All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Trencher
join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Trencher

Looks like Telus is Jacking their prices again for TV/Phone.

TELUS Long Distance Basic rate change

Effective Dec. 1, 2012, the rate charged for using TELUS Long Distance service without a Long Distance plan will be 40¢/minute for calls within Canada and the U.S. All other rates are unaffected by this change. To add a Long Distance plan to your account, please call 310-2255 or visit telus.com for more information.
TELUS Operator Assisted Long Distance Basic rate change

Effective Dec. 1, 2012, the rate charged for using TELUS Operator Assisted Long Distance calling will be 40¢/minute for calls within Canada and the U.S. All other rates and service charges are unaffected by this change.
Optik TV™ rate changes

Effective Nov. 18, 2012, the following rate changes will apply:

Movie 4 Pack will be priced at $17/month
Movie 6 Pack will be priced at $19/month
Hi-Fi HD pack will be priced at $6/month
Best of HD pack will be priced at $25/month
All Mature channels will be priced at $20/month
All individual channels will be priced at $4/month

For complete channel listings and prices, please visit our Optik TV Channels & Packages webpage or call us at 310-MYTV (6988) for more information.

*sighs*... didn't they just up their prices not that long ago?
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Being a Telus customer I have not looked at pricing with the competition.Would this price increase make ones bill higher than the
others for a similar package?

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Trencher

Premium Member

to Trencher
We just had a price increase in July ...
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C to Trencher

to Trencher
The link to that was posted here Oct 3rd so you're a little late to the game.

anon1489
@telus.net

anon1489 to Trencher

Anon

to Trencher
Hold your horses.
The LD rate of 40 cents is only for customers that have NO LD plan with TELUS.
So it affects only a few.
The other price increases are pretty normal I would say.
Seeing SHAW increases their prices min. 2 - 3 times per year and is not that open to their customers.

Movie 4 Pack is currently $19 unless you have 5 or more theme packs
Movie 6 Pack is I believe $21 unless you have 5 ore more theme packs
So for some customers it might actually be a reduction.

Just my 50 cents.

Features
@74.198.150.x

Features to Trencher

Anon

to Trencher
Telus home phone voice mail call waiting and call display are now 3 times more expensive than Shaw at $9 each month individually. What justification for about 30% increase on these?

40c minute calls and features rip off »telus.com/content/home-p ··· ures.jsp

Anon1489
@telus.net

Anon1489

Anon

3 calling feature pack is $7

Again, 40 cents only applies to customers that have no LD plan.
Just call in and get the $0 LD plan added to your line and done.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Trencher

to Trencher
A few notes:

1) What does Telus charge so much for a landline? This has been a deal breaker for me when considering moving my services back to Telus. Shaw (while slightly more inferior audio quality) charges maybe 10 or 15 dollars for the phone line. It lessens the ability of Telus bundles to compete against shaw bundles

2) Best of HD - Why can't I find anything about it on the Telus website? I didn't even know they offered it? It's one of the reason I'm on Shaw (I want a lower cost package that offers most of the HD channels).

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

The Best of HD was a promotional package offered last spring. It's not an in market offer right now.
BC Boy
join:2012-02-14
Kelowna, BC

BC Boy to Trencher

to Trencher
@zod5000

VOIP (Shaw) is not regulated by the CRTC so they charge whatever they want.

Traditional copper land lines (TELUS) is regulated by the CRTC therefore is limited in how they can play with the pricing.
CR1239
join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC

CR1239 to zod5000

to zod5000
Home phone + 1 calling feature is $25, which is in the ball park with Shaw anyways. I didn't think Shaw offered phone lines for $10, but I don't know how they break out their new bundles. The Shaw Starter bundles appears to be $94.90, but I don't know how much of that is for the phone... that bundle compares to the TELUS $93 basic bundle.

NoTVPlease
@shawcable.net

NoTVPlease to BC Boy

Anon

to BC Boy
said by BC Boy:

@zod5000

Traditional copper land lines (TELUS) is regulated by the CRTC therefore is limited in how they can play with the pricing.

I'm fairly certain that Shaw phone service is regulated exactly the same as Telus by the CRTC. They don't use a traditional VoIP service, as it is not over the customer's Internet connection. Also, VoIP services are usually able to assign any phone number, but Shaw is bound by the local phone grid.

Performance-wise, I used both Telus and Shaw and didn't notice any difference. Switched because Shaw was so much cheaper. No landline needed anymore though

dreampod
@leaseweb.com

dreampod

Anon

said by NoTVPlease :

I'm fairly certain that Shaw phone service is regulated exactly the same as Telus by the CRTC. They don't use a traditional VoIP service, as it is not over the customer's Internet connection. Also, VoIP services are usually able to assign any phone number, but Shaw is bound by the local phone grid.

Shaw's voip services don't touch the local phone grid nor are they regulated by the CRTC. The reason you can't get a non-local number on Shaw is probably due to some internal policy, also you can't take your Shaw ATA to another location since it only functions under shaw's local data network (unrelated to the phone grid).

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to NoTVPlease

Premium Member

to NoTVPlease
said by NoTVPlease :

said by BC Boy:

@zod5000

Performance-wise, I used both Telus and Shaw and didn't notice any difference. Switched because Shaw was so much cheaper. No landline needed anymore though

Incorrect on all points

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Yeah, Shaw is a CLEC and Telus is an ILEC. CLEC's are not subject to the CRTC pricing regulations.

Features
@74.198.150.x

Features to JammerMan79

Anon

to JammerMan79
Apart from being cheaper with Shaw basic phone plus call display,voice mail and call waiting with Shaw is $20.95 on my bill but with Telus would be $32 which is a big difference. Quality differene between them both is really nothing in my opinion.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Could this be due to the CRTC regulations that Telus has to charge the higher price?

NoTVPlease
@shawcable.net

NoTVPlease to JammerMan79

Anon

to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

said by NoTVPlease :

said by BC Boy:

@zod5000

Incorrect on all points

I thought I read somewhere that Shaw was also regulated by the CRTC, but it sounds like I was mistaken.

Not sure how any of the other points are incorrect though. Shaw doesn't use a customer's internet connection, their phone numbers are only assigned locally, and they have considerably cheaper bundling rates for phone. Stand-alone rates may be different though. Both Telus and Shaw have great phone quality, when working correctly.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Therefore Telus is at a disadvantage due to CRTC restrictions on Home Phone.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to NoTVPlease

Premium Member

to NoTVPlease
Shaw uses the customers Internet connection... Try using their phone service without the modem on.
Not sure why they're subject to the phone grid for numbers.... I personally think that's a choice they've made
Bundling rates mean nothing for the phone.... It's the total package cost that matters and that's pretty similar. If you're bundling they could charge 1.00 for phone... 1.00 for internet and $1000 for tv... Yes the phone and Internet is cheaper but the bundle cost sucks

Features
@74.198.150.x

Features to Kruisey

Anon

to Kruisey
You would be hard pushed to find a regulated area these days
»about.telus.com/communit ··· on_check

Telus is only regulated in area where no competition so
»about.telus.com/communit ··· _service

Full official list
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publi ··· list.htm

So really the fact that maybe less than 5% of Telus phone customers are regulated doesn't really play into the excuse of REALLY high phone rates, then again that's the mentality of cell companies or sales reps looking for excuses. "We rip where we live"
The deregulated list is massive. Comparing pricing as earlier mentioned $15 for Shaw phone compared to $25 with Telus. Add some features on top and Telus is still one third more expensive in nearly all comparison situations. No wonder over a million customers left in the last few years, cell phone plans can be cheaper.
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2 to JammerMan79

to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

Shaw uses the customers Internet connection... Try using their phone service without the modem on.

I turned my Shaw cable modem off, and my Shaw home phone still worked. If you have Shaw home phone, you see that Shaw ata device is connected directly to coax, not to your modem.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to Features

to Features
I have just looked at the Shaw home plan bundles.There is a $2 difference in price between the two.I have to use the 1000 minute package due to overseas calls.Telus prices are separate but added together show the $2 difference on both.That is the one price for Shaw and the two prices added together for Telus.
a bundled plan is the way to go for the cheapest rate which I personally use.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to JammerMan79

to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

Not sure why they're subject to the phone grid for numbers.... I personally think that's a choice they've made
Bundling rates mean nothing for the phone.... It's the total package cost that matters and that's pretty similar. If you're bundling they could charge 1.00 for phone... 1.00 for internet and $1000 for tv... Yes the phone and Internet is cheaper but the bundle cost sucks

Oh come on. It's one thing to compare bundles, phone prices, etc. To try and bash Shaw for their hardware is a bit much. What happens when the Actiontec fails? Oh yes, you have no Internet and TV, as everything goes through it. Not getting deep into this topic, but bashing out plans and bundles and hardware is different. Especially when the Telus hardware is far from any better, if not worse of the two evils. Their bundles are pretty good as it is. I'm paying about the same with Shaw as I did with my Telus, but I also have 25x2.5 with 2 static's, not 25x2 with no HD streams running and no static's and one device with no failover. My 6 months I had my Optik, the Actiontec failed me twice. Last time it was on a saturday of a long weekend. Didn't have any internet or TV until the following Wednesday. Been with Shaw in total 9 years, had one modem go on me. I never lost connection completely, it was just intermittent until the tech delivered one to me two days later.
rustydusty

rustydusty to Trencher

to Trencher
TV and Phone, Shaw and Telus are usually in similar ball parks if you want to compare. Different bundles, plans, promotions, etc. The quality is fairly close, although I think my Optik HD looked a little better than my Shaw HD, IMO. You want to compare hardware or internet, though, Shaw is far superior as of now. Don't bother trying to argue congestion or "sharing" with your neighbours. The line issues that can happen with Telus are just as bad as possible congestion with any cable provider. In 9 years, I had a 6 month spell of congestion where my speeds were half where they should be. Regardless of that, I run biz at home, and Telus couldn't come close to anything I currently have with Shaw. They can't even provide me an upload more than 1Mb with Static IP's. The price of fiber/T1's are absolutely mind blowing, on any provider. The fact they can charge $300/month for a single T1 is mind blowing. Sure it's a consistent 1.4Mb/s speed, however the technology is so old it's from the 50's! How they can get away with charge prices for such an old and terrible service is beyond me.

AnonTechEDM
@telus.net

AnonTechEDM

Anon

said by rustydusty:

TV and Phone, Shaw and Telus are usually in similar ball parks if you want to compare. Different bundles, plans, promotions, etc. The quality is fairly close, although I think my Optik HD looked a little better than my Shaw HD, IMO. You want to compare hardware or internet, though, Shaw is far superior as of now. Don't bother trying to argue congestion or "sharing" with your neighbours. The line issues that can happen with Telus are just as bad as possible congestion with any cable provider. In 9 years, I had a 6 month spell of congestion where my speeds were half where they should be. Regardless of that, I run biz at home, and Telus couldn't come close to anything I currently have with Shaw. They can't even provide me an upload more than 1Mb with Static IP's. The price of fiber/T1's are absolutely mind blowing, on any provider. The fact they can charge $300/month for a single T1 is mind blowing. Sure it's a consistent 1.4Mb/s speed, however the technology is so old it's from the 50's! How they can get away with charge prices for such an old and terrible service is beyond me.

Because t1's are a specialty service, it is not designed for average consumer usage. and please don't mix up congestion with line conditions because shaw can suffer line conditions as well. I have yet to run into a trouble where a Telus customer is suffering from congestion issues because telus knows how to build a network to support the speeds they advertise.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to rewrite2

Premium Member

to rewrite2
I stand corrected.... Shaw uses ip running on their cable infrastructure.. while I knew their packets didn't hit the wan I thought it still went through the modem
JammerMan79

JammerMan79 to rustydusty

Premium Member

to rustydusty
Wasn't bashing the hardware but it appears I was incorrect in the implementation

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to AnonTechEDM

to AnonTechEDM
You bet, you get the whopping 25x2, until you start up a HD stream. I found that extremely disappointing. They need to offer some hardware for the advanced user to seperate the net from tv service. The Actiontec is just painful and extremely limited. The ALU is damn near impossible to retrieve unless you are one of few biz's in a VDSL upgraded area.

Please explain to me the higher costs for a T1 over a standard unmanaged DSL? The line is not monitored for packet loss, sync loss or any other issues. The speeds are terrible, even if you get the full 1.4 at all times. Bond a few together like I had to do at our shop and you can get your 10Mb, but with a hefty cost. Downloading a driver can saturate the pathetic 10Mb down.

AnonTechEDM
@telus.com

AnonTechEDM

Anon

said by rustydusty:

You bet, you get the whopping 25x2, until you start up a HD stream. I found that extremely disappointing. They need to offer some hardware for the advanced user to seperate the net from tv service. The Actiontec is just painful and extremely limited. The ALU is damn near impossible to retrieve unless you are one of few biz's in a VDSL upgraded area.

Please explain to me the higher costs for a T1 over a standard unmanaged DSL? The line is not monitored for packet loss, sync loss or any other issues. The speeds are terrible, even if you get the full 1.4 at all times. Bond a few together like I had to do at our shop and you can get your 10Mb, but with a hefty cost. Downloading a driver can saturate the pathetic 10Mb down.

What you are talking about is more localized congestion ( and most TTV customers on a vdsl2 circuit won't have this problem) where shaw suffers heavily on node congestion.
As far as t1 vs DSL
»lmgtfy.com/?q=t1+vs+dsl