spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

iceqube

@verizon.net

[Northeast] FIOS Internet Speed Upgrade for Apartment Resident

I live in an apartment in Area Code 20874. My current FIOS connection is set at 20/5. I tried to upgrade today, and was told this is the only internet speed option available for me. Verizon has an online ad featuring an apartment dweller, and the ad screams about new FIOS speeds like 50/25 and 75/35. I wish I could get an (intelligent) answer from someone at Verizon why I don't have internet speed options like those Verizon screams about in its own ads.

BTW: It's deceptive advertising if these speeds are not available to apartment residents. There is nothing in the ads that addresses restrictions based on type of residence.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

Re: [Northeast] FIOS Internet Speed Upgrade for Apartment Reside

said by iceqube :

Verizon has an online ad featuring an apartment dweller, and the ad screams about new FIOS speeds like 50/25 and 75/35. I wish I could get an (intelligent) answer from someone at Verizon why I don't have internet speed options like those Verizon screams about in its own ads.

BTW: It's deceptive advertising if these speeds are not available to apartment residents. There is nothing in the ads that addresses restrictions based on type of residence.

Could be worse. You could be getting ads on TV and in the mail where FiOS isn't even available. Weird but true.

Your restriction is likely due to how your apartment bldg was wired. MDU with shared ONT with internet delivered through VDSL modem establishes the limit. Other MDU installs have individual ONTs that can get those speeds.

At least you're getting the right answer from CSR. In the past, some folks have been able to order an upgrade only to find later it couldn't be done.

You described it right. Screaming advertising is just noise.

cmthru

join:2005-03-19
Rockville, MD
reply to iceqube

I'm also in an apartment in 20874. My speeds are 25/5 even though a Verizon rep told me I am provisioned for 25/25.

As birdfeedr says above the building has an ONT in the wiring closet but the feed to the apartment is via a copper VDSL.

I used to get mailings from Verizon telling me I was eligible for the new Quantum speeds. A call to Verizon told me otherwise. So I mildly complained and they gave me a $10 'loyalty' discount good through the end of my contract.