A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

What's for dinner (just for fun)

If anyone wants to play, we were talking about how people eat in another thread. I'm not the only one who questioned if people were capable of pulling together a healthy meal (or even knew what one was). Play along if you want, calorie counts optional. I'm adding them as I have easy access to a program and use it to figure out most homemade foods I make. I don't normally do it daily, but I keep an eye on calories as I'm in weight loss mode. My aim for dinner daily is 500-800 cals.

Dinner (653 cals, 32% protein, 42% fat, 26% carbs)

hamburgers (2), homemade, no bun
ketchup, mustard
dill pickles (3 I think), homemade
mixed veg (bean / carrot blend, frozen) ~6oz
butter
salad
dressing (homemade, no oil)

No bun because I left work late and didn't want to bother going into the store to see if they had one left. Added the mixed veg as I thought having just 2 patties on the plate was kind of sad.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

I'm eating leftovers, but here's the original meal (I don't have a calorie counter):

2 large chicken breasts
baby potatoes
baby carrots
about two tbsp of olive oil
seasoning for all ingredients that is only spices, herbs and pepper (no salt or MSG)

All put in a cast iron casserole dish and baked for 45 minutes, and served with a small mixed green salad with grape tomatoes, chipped Parmesan cheese and a bit of olive oil & balsamic vinegar.

Served with a Cesari Mara Valpolicella Ripasso (a very reasonable $16.95 at the LCBO).
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

I don't usually eat dinner (as I'm not usually hungry, or just forget to eat due to passing out with the kiddo when I put him to bed), but tonight dinner is 2 Fried Egg Sandwiches, slightly runny, with a bit of marg & ketchup.

There's pretty much nothing in the fridge since hubby forgot to go grocery shopping.

It was either that, or Tuna Helper.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
I'm guilty of being one of those people who are in the 'too busy' category so my default 'too busy' meal is a salad.

I have no idea how many calories, carbs, protein or fat I consume in any meal but I vary my diet with enough stuff a week that I should be getting all the vitamins and minerals I need.

- Salad with diced green, red and yellow peppers, gigantic tomato and some grated chedder cheese.

- Dressing is extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegarette and a few dashes of tobasco habanero.

- Handful of cashews, sunflower seeds almonds.

All of that took about 15 minutes to prepare / eat and then I changed and went back to the office where I sit now distracting myself with this forum.

For lunch I had a poached egg and spread some all natural kraft peanut butter on a 12 grain toasted slice of bread.

Tomorrow I'll probably have whole grain pasta with tomato sauce and a butternut squash soup.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

A 6 oz. rare strip loin steak, and a spinach salad with home-made garlic dressing. Fresh pickled beets on the side.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to A Lurker

to A Lurker
Leftover pan cooked meat cubes with rice and baby carrots.

I like to keep things simple after a day's work.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to A Lurker

Anon

to A Lurker
Dinner for two tonight was a home made Irish Stew with:

1/2 lb lean flank steak cut up for stewing
2 large carrots sliced
1 medium onion diced
1 green bell pepper diced
1 stalk celery sliced
6 button mushrooms sliced
3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon Mazola corn oil
2 cans Campbell's beef broth
1 tsp Italian Giardinera for seasoning
1/4 tsp salt for seasoning.

Fry up the meat in the oil and Giardinera to brown, then add the vegetables and stir fry until onions are translucent then add the broth, bring to a boil and allow to simmer for one hour.

I can't say how many calories I consumed but suffice it to say this fed two adults with a generous helping leftover for one of us tomorrow.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
Better late than never...
B.B.Q. Rainbow Trout marinated in Teryaki sauce.
Mashed potatoes with lots of butter.
Salad.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
Dinner for 2 was 2 big sweet potatoes and onions with 2 chicken breasts all baked together and a couscous salad on the side (couscous, tomatoes, celery, onions, parsley and a bit of grape seed oil.)

No idea about the calories, but not counting the baking, it took about 15 minutes to make, and we had enough leftovers to make lunches for 2 as well.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Continuing on today (not bothering with the calorie count)...

large chicken breast poached in homemade salsa, mixed rice blend, tossed salad with homemade dressing

Came home beat and this is a 15 min meal made in one pan. Okay, I do tend to make the rice up in a larger batch and leave it in the fridge or freezer, so it would have been two pots if I didn't have the rice made. I was going to add some veg, but I just made the salad larger for my veggie fix.

Simple dish - brown the chicken in a small skillet, dump in some salsa, cover, turn down and cook until ready. Usually set the timer for 12 mins and get everything else ready. Warm up, or cook, some rice, serve over it. Veggies on the side is how I usually serve it, but doing the bigger salads as I'm tired this week.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Tomorrow I'll probably have whole grain pasta with tomato sauce and a butternut squash soup.

lol reliably today I had whole grain pasta with home made tomato sauce (jarred last month).
said by A Lurker:

mixed rice blend

Have you tried long grain brown rice? We eat small portions of it with many of our dinners and it fills us up more than white or wild rice and since the list of nutrients is more than almost any other natural food I've ever seen.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to A Lurker

to A Lurker
Had some extra lean ground beef I had to use up. Fried it up with
veggies then added sundried tomato rissotto. Simmering as I speak.

FaxCap

TBBT_Mealz
@start.ca

TBBT_Mealz to A Lurker

Anon

to A Lurker
Whole wheat pasta with cut up hot dogs. Got that one from The Big Bang Theory, its actually not that bad. Plus Tomato paste, oregano, basil and a dash of olive oil, but no salt.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to A Lurker

to A Lurker
Home made pizza, cooked in the BBQ.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Have you tried long grain brown rice? We eat small portions of it with many of our dinners and it fills us up more than white or wild rice and since the list of nutrients is more than almost any other natural food I've ever seen.

Yep, I use it too. I take this recipe:

»www.foodnetwork.com/reci ··· dex.html

I do use long grain, increase the water slightly (to a 2-to-1 ratio) and it takes a little longer, by about 15 mins.

However, I also use a blend every now and then from Costco (white & brown basmati, red & wild rice) for a change.
A Lurker

A Lurker

Premium Member

Tonight was a complete freeze/thaw meal. I was supposed to go out, but decided not to at the last minute. It's been a long week and I have work to do over the weekend. So...

chicken lentil soup - mix of red lentils, onions, tomatoes, roasted corn and green peas (just for colour), seasoned with ginger and garlic, and made into a meal with chicken sausage and/or chicken breast. This batch had both as they were both on sale when I made it and froze it.

+ a frozen homemade drop biscuit with some cheese in it

The biscuit had been there for a while, but did okay thawed slightly, then toasted.

miakica
join:2009-11-10

2 edits

miakica to A Lurker

to A Lurker
Click for full size
Click for full size
BBQ sausage, fried catfish, slaw and beans.
And, I mean really BBQ, not grilled
And finished with deep fried homemade chocolate pie

In Nick's BBQ in Carlisle, AR

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by miakica:

BBQ sausage and beans.

That's about all I'd try off the plate. Now, the slaw looks creamy and that's just a personal no no (cream based stuff doesn't agree with me). I'm not a fish person, and frying it wouldn't encourage me to try it. To each their own. I have a relative who just had to have catfish whenever they're in the south, although I think they tend to stay away from deep fried.
A Lurker

A Lurker

Premium Member

I'm in for the week, so I think this is day 4...

sun-dried tomato meatloaf (mixed up and frozen in single portions, cooked fresh) with roast potatoes, garlic and green beans

salad with homemade dressing

(boiled the potatoes, tossed with a little oil, garlic, salt and pepper - cooked in same dish as meatloaf - with a few green beans added in about 15 mins before serving)

miakica
join:2009-11-10

miakica to A Lurker

to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

said by miakica:

BBQ sausage and beans.

That's about all I'd try off the plate. Now, the slaw looks creamy and that's just a personal no no (cream based stuff doesn't agree with me). I'm not a fish person, and frying it wouldn't encourage me to try it. To each their own. I have a relative who just had to have catfish whenever they're in the south, although I think they tend to stay away from deep fried.

Like you said, to each his own...
When I started driving, I decided to eat in small, local joints instead of big restaurant chains. Had some amazing food, and some not so amazing...
Mexican in California, Cuban in Florida, some local specialities, like alligator in Louisiana and rattlesnake in Arizona...
So far best I had was in a small Peruvian restaurant in Miami. Awesome seafood in a not so awesome looking restaurant, but somebody said long time ago that you can't judge a book by the cover and it's proving to be right over and over again

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by miakica:

So far best I had was in a small Peruvian restaurant in Miami. Awesome seafood in a not so awesome looking restaurant, but somebody said long time ago that you can't judge a book by the cover and it's proving to be right over and over again

No, you can't, the best Peruvian restaurant in Toronto was a restaurant that looked like a hole in the wall. Been a few years since I lived in Toronto so I'm not sure if it's there anymore.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Tonight I went for:

octoberfest sausage and homemade sauerkraut

I bought the octoberfest sausages a while back, not having had them for years. They weren't as good as I remembered, but I had 2 to finish up. I swapped some canned dills for some sauerkraut a while back, so they were a good side dish. I'm not patient enough to make the sauerkraut myself, but luckily I have a friend who does. I have make dills in a crock though, but I don't think it's big enough for 'kraut.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Cooked a steak in the oven since the kitchen was a little chilly today since I forgot the heat off while I was out. D'oh.

Nice prime rib steak cooked rather rare with a rub of cayanne pepper, cumin, paprika and some onions and various coloured peppers with some ginger, coriander, olive oil, and a little bit of soy salt. Since I like the meat rare, the vegetables are still juicy. Hot and juicy.

I ate too much.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Soup night tonight as well (warming up now).

beef/turkey barley mushroom soup with homemade biscuit

The soup goes with the cold weather, but it has more to do with the fact that I didn't thaw anything. Tomorrow will be chicken breast, method of cooking to be determined with how I feel tomorrow night.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

Pork Chops tonight, breaded and fried, with mashed potatoes and steamed frozen mixed veggies.

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to A Lurker

to A Lurker
may as well lol;

Teriyaki shrimp (butterflied, shell in) with multiple coloured peppers, red onions, carrots, and a few mushrooms.

A large basa fillet with a barbeque rubbed then, grilled

Plain white rice with light flavouring.
Expand your moderator at work

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to A Lurker

to A Lurker

Re: What's for dinner (just for fun)

I can't make a decent meal if my life depended on it. I usually have a boost meal replacement for dinner. and maybe an apple. If only I knew how to make sushi.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Sushi isn't hard at all. You just need the proper ingredients.

And we had a tournedos (veal tenderloin wrapped in a bacon), with some pasta and some home made basil pesto on top and some crispy kale.

First time we tried kale... it's a pretty awesome thing when baked and crispy.

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu

said by ekster:

Sushi isn't hard at all. You just need the proper ingredients.

Its all in the technique ~.^ Though freshly caught (killed) fish and the proper "sushi rice" are a must to do it authentically.
said by ekster:

And we had a tournedos (veal tenderloin wrapped in a bacon), with some pasta and some home made basil pesto on top and some crispy kale.

First time we tried kale... it's a pretty awesome thing when baked and crispy.

I have never had kale, for somone who has eaten and knows how to prepare a huge number of foods from 14 different cultures around the planet thats pretty sad...

Its something I need to try.