Help?! MBR1000/598U Central FL
Hi all - longtime lurker here - reading and gleaning all I can whenever I hit a snag!
I've been with Millenicom for almost three years, with a Sierra 598u modem, and for the last two years have had a setup with Cradlepoint MBR1000 with two daisy-chained smaller routers to extend the range (CTR350 & CTR500). Those didn't get a lot of use - primarily set up for our convenience in an outbuilding and my folks RV. All has worked beautifully until around mid-August, and we've been having increasingly frequent disconnects. Most of the time it's not a big deal as I work from home and am home alone, so traffic isn't that heavy and disconnects aren't as frequent during the day. The last few weeks, though have become more and more frustrating. I have tried rebooting, triple checking router settings, even went so far as to order a new modem, but I don't think that's the issue. The interesting thing is that when I can't connect to any other site, I am able to get to my home page »startpage.com/eng/ hence I'm guessing perhaps a DNS issue. After disconnects every 15 minutes or so all day today, I finally took everything offline, reset my MBR1000 to factory and am now back to just the one router. Since I've done that, I've still had three disconnects. Not really sure where to go with this. I know we're supposed to be having a tower upgrade soon, but not sure which tower I'm getting service from.
Any suggestions? Could it be my MBR1000 going bad? I may try hooking up directly to one of my other routers tomorrow, but any thoughts appreciated!
Cobbs Creek, VA
put the modem directly into a USB port and use SmartView ... see what happens
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/
|reply to kayceespix |
If a file is downloading when this happens will it continue to download even when nothing else will load? Also try installing hotspot shield and connect it when this happens. If the file still downloads and the internet through hotspot shield works you probably have the same problem as me. See my "only able to load things in google domain" topic. Unfortunately I still haven't found a solution, its possible that some of the suggested things will work for you though. I'm curious to know if the new modem fixes the problem, if it does I will probably do the same.
Kansas City, MO
|reply to kayceespix |
If it's a dns issue you can bypass sprint/verizons dns in the cradlepoint itself.
Log into the admin page on the mbr1000 then:
Advanced, Webfilter, select minimal (or login if you want), the check mark the box that says "Enable opendns isp filter bypass algorithm"
I've plugged in directly to check for new firmware/PRL, but honestly haven't tried working that way - I'll try that today as well once kiddos are off to school. Will let you know my findings.
I think our problem may be the same. I followed your other thread with interest yesterday to the point of installing Acrylic and seeing that everything seemed to be set up correctly - and the "no improvement" was what finally caused me to start over with the factory defaults.
Yep, I had that set up as well. I'll get back later this morning once I have my "gotta get it done" things taken care of!
|reply to kayceespix |
Okay, well, no troubles in the hour or so that I plugged directly into my laptop, and I had to update firmware on my CTR500, but I've now set up my network with it alone and so far, so good. I've been on for at l3ast 25 minutes and no hang ups. Unless something changes, I'm thinking that my trusty old mbr1000 is giving up the ghost.
Will let y'all know if anything changes . . .
Well, problem not entirely gone - in a basic 8 hour workday, I had to disconnect/reconnect once. After the kids got home in the afternoon, though, signal dropped repeatedly again probably every 15-30 minutes.
Beginning to think that our tower capacity may be just getting maxed out - makes sense that it works better for me during the day, but when everyone is home it slows down. Even when I'm the only one on the computer after 4PM, we have random disconnects. Generally I'm able to use my search engine and email - just can't load any other pages.
So I think we're in a "hurry up and wait" situation for our towers to be upgraded (our area is slated for 4G LTE in the next few months).
Problem seems to have resolved, to the point where I re-did my original setup with my MBR1000 as main router with the two others daisy chained - either over a period of months my setup had become corrupted, or there has been some tower issue I think, but we're back!