medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer to Atacand

to Atacand

Re: [Caps] Comcast Business vs Residential and data usage

said by Atacand :

After reading that, I just closed my torrent client.

(I'm on business class.)

Thanks for the clarification.

so now you understand....but being anonymous with your ISP domain showing didnt help...

i was kinda expecting that you were a business client but thought that you must have more than a bigger pipe than what regular Comcast biz subscriptions could provide a hosting / data center company...

and just so you know...proxies doesnt cover all your tracks...if you know what I mean....

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand

Anon

I am well aware that proxies do not cover all of my tracks.

OpenVPN on the other hand....

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

»business.comcast.com/smb ··· e-policy

III. Network Management and Limitations on Data Consumption

The Service is for commercial use only in a small, medium, or large business as determined by the applicable Business Services Agreement.

The way I read that, if you want Business Class service, it must be for commercial use only. If that is true, and totally enforceable by Comcast, then how are people getting "Business Class" service at a non-business location? I've seen many posts on here where people will order Business Class to avoid the 250 GB cap (when it was in place), and they get it.

Not trying to start a fight here or anything, but the way I read that statement, if I'm not a business (aka a normal Joe Home User), I should not be allowed to get Business Class service. Or, am I missing something?

--Brian
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

The way I read that, if you want Business Class service, it must be for commercial use only. If that is true, and totally enforceable by Comcast, then how are people getting "Business Class" service at a non-business location? I've seen many posts on here where people will order Business Class to avoid the 250 GB cap (when it was in place), and they get it.

Not trying to start a fight here or anything, but the way I read that statement, if I'm not a business (aka a normal Joe Home User), I should not be allowed to get Business Class service. Or, am I missing something?

--Brian

When I signed up for it, they classified my residence as a home office. Presumably, that would fall under the small business portion. I didn't have to provide a business name though.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

said by JohnInSJ:

»business.comcast.com/smb ··· e-policy

III. Network Management and Limitations on Data Consumption

The Service is for commercial use only in a small, medium, or large business as determined by the applicable Business Services Agreement.

--Brian

Most people have "home businesses" - I do. You can get business class by saying you have a home business. You still are bound to the TOS/AUP. The wording is vague (I call this the weasel words clause) but I expect it's there to give comcast the option to reign in or upsell a customer who fills up or down or both pipes 24/7 on one of the lower tiers "because there is no cap" - I personally use anywhere between 200-400GB/mo, seldom more, on starter. I doubt I am anywhere near using "too much"

Starter 12/2 was 3.7TB down, .632TB up total capacity (ignoring speedboost). I was using about 10% of capacity before, even less now that it's 15/3.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand

Anon

I have the Premium 27/7 and am getting speeds of about 33/8. Is that normal?

Does anyone have an idea of what acceptable usage would be of this tier? Guesses?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Atacand :

I have the Premium 27/7 and am getting speeds of about 33/8. Is that normal?

Does anyone have an idea of what acceptable usage would be of this tier? Guesses?

33/8 during powerboost I take it?

As for acceptable use, I don't think there are any defined "limits" to where someone would get the call to bump up their speed plan. At least I've never seen anything confirmed.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand

Anon

I'm getting ~35/7 sustained.

The sales rep told me there was powerboost, but I have yet to see it.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Atacand :

Weird. The advertising material and others with 27/7 are seeing 27 sustained (although it's erratic, it averages out to 27 Mbps).

I guess they pushed a different config to your modem than the rest of us

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by pflog:

said by Atacand :

Weird. The advertising material and others with 27/7 are seeing 27 sustained (although it's erratic, it averages out to 27 Mbps).

I guess they pushed a different config to your modem than the rest of us

OTOH, if Atacand is doing the speed tests through a VPN to leaseweb.com, that could have an effect too.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by NetFixer:

OTOH, if Atacand is doing the speed tests through a VPN to leaseweb.com, that could have an effect too.

Perhaps, but how can a VPN cause PB to "stay on"?

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
The speed test results are from speedtest.comcast.net and speedtest.net.

I do realize that speeds will be lower when using the VPN, but luckily, they haven't been much lower.

Here are my speed test results WITH the VPN connected. Very pleased!

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 2592.png

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Speed test results are notorious for misreporting speeds, since they do not last long enough to test sustained speeds.

Try running shaperprobe to get your actual post-PB speeds.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

--Brian

don't forget those workers who telecommute from home...

not exactly a business but an employer requirement or employer paid perk..

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand to pflog

Anon

to pflog
Here's my shaper probe results (without the VPN, of course) :

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.142.215.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7983 Kbps.
Downstream: 33236 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7765 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19641-19784 KB; Shaping rate: 28746 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe
logout

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yep, so you're seeing ~8 Mbps upstream power boost, ~33 Mbps downstream power boost, and sustained speeds of ~27/7.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand

Anon

We switched from residential to business class internet las week because we were exceeding our 250GB data allowance.

Someone in the household is disabled and streams ~450GB/month on streaming services -- it's all they have, and we don't subscribe to TV.

We are coming from the 105/20 Extreme tier on the residential side, and the speed difference is quite noticeable. The only two things we are really gaining are better customer support and [almost] unlimited data usage.

Do you think the Premium tier (27/7) is sufficient to stream a HD movie on say an Apple TV or Hi-Def TV while another user streams CD-quality music and browses the internet at high speed?

Also, does business class traffic get some type of priority above that of residential traffic? I realize I'm connected to the same node as the residential folks (they used the existing residential drop), but my ping times are more stable, and even though there is powerboos that I was unaware of, the speeds aren't all over the place -- they seem more stable.

Any thoughts on traffic priority for business class customers and the bandwith usage I asked about?

Thank you.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Atacand :

Do you think the Premium tier (27/7) is sufficient to stream a HD movie on say an Apple TV or Hi-Def TV while another user streams CD-quality music and browses the internet at high speed?

Yes, even 720p higher end video streaming is more like 6 Mbps and Netflix uses nowhere near that:

Netflix streams HD content using Microsoft VC1AP encoding at a maximum bitrate of between 2600 kbit/s and 3800 kbit/s (depending on the movie).

3800 kbit/s (or ~4 Mbps, rounding up) is less than 1/6th of your bandwidth. So if the route and connection is clean, you could theoretically stream probably 4-5 simultaneously, and CD streaming is much, much less. So 1 HD video stream + CD streaming should be no problem.

Also, does business class traffic get some type of priority above that of residential traffic? I realize I'm connected to the same node as the residential folks (they used the existing residential drop), but my ping times are more stable, and even though there is powerboos that I was unaware of, the speeds aren't all over the place -- they seem more stable.

Nope, same lines and same priority.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand

Anon

Do you think 1TB of usage is excessive for the 27/7 plan?
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925

I am on Comcast business class and done 2tb this month so far no call I am pretty sure on business class you would not get a call there is no cap for business class I hope that answers your question

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I wouldn't personally feel comfortable doing 2TB month after month on a 27/7 plan, but then again I rarely exceed 200G/mo.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand to greg925

Anon

to greg925
There is a 'soft cap' from what I have heard from others in here.

I *do* use P2P (that's my business) over OpenVPN, but with that I don't think they can see the type/protocol I am using.
keason
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
·Comcast Business
·T-Mobile

keason to taiganaut

Premium Member

to taiganaut
I also would not be concerned , we routinely upload > 1tb on 27/7. If you plan on uploading somewhat close to the bandwidth limit, I would jump to the next tier for practical reasons (nailing your upload will also adversely impact download, plus latency dependent apps won't perform properly). We usually limit uploads to 80% of capacity for those reasons.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Atacand

Premium Member

to Atacand
said by Atacand :

I *do* use P2P (that's my business) over OpenVPN, but with that I don't think they can see the type/protocol I am using.

That depends on whom you consider to be "they". If "they" are Comcast, then as long as "they" don't get calls/letters from third parties complaining about your activity, "they" could care less what protocols you use, or the content of any file transfers that you do.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand to greg925

Anon

to greg925
Greg,

What business class internet plan are you on?
stonecolddsl
Linux Junkie
join:2004-01-07
Sarasota, FL

stonecolddsl to taiganaut

to taiganaut
So I normally don't post here, but should say the real trick is not business but Teleworker account through your employer if you for big enough business. I got a nasty gram once from local business rep ( they were down in naples fl ) I called and said hey this is a business teleworker account and I work for pretty big software company. Moving large files is part of my business ( close to 4TB in one month. Basically had two projects I had to dump from my NAS to company server. I told the women she had a problem go talk to my company about it. 3 days later comcast was outside upgrading the neighborhood to support my substained bandwidth usage.
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925 to Atacand

to Atacand
I am on 27/7
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Atacand

to Atacand
said by Atacand :

wait..P2P is your business? or you were just saying that like it's none of my business and dont be snoopy??

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand

Anon

Ah, the wonder of semantics.

Now that you mention it, I suppose P2P and streaming in my house are my "business" and no, I wasn't be rude to tell you to mind your own.
Atacand

Atacand to greg925

Anon

to greg925
Greg,

Do you find that this speed suits your needs? It's the same one I have.

I'd love to upgrade to the 50/10, but it just costs too much.