neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Need replacement for old Linksys...

My old Linksys WRT54G v2, running DD-WRT, is starting to die. Randomly drops connection, loses the port mappings, locks up... Well, it is OLD as hell...

So, I am looking for a replacement. All of my wireless devices are still "G". I have five wired devices and four wireless (seven if you count the three smartphones) devices.

Requirements would be:

Similar in size to the WRT54G - Where my router is currently, I'm limited for space. That and I hate these new stylish looking things.

External Antennas - So I can use my remote antennas

Ability to run DD-WRT - Self explanitory

Any ideas?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

»www.asus.com/Networks/Wi ··· /RTN66U/
207 x 148.8 x 35.5 mm (WxDxH)

It is not be as small as the WRT54G. 7.32” x 1.89” x 6.06” (186 x 48 x 154 mm)

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· ces#Asus

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Looks interesting......

Any more recommendations?

Anything especially built for an aftermarket firmware?

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
Netgear WNR3500L

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· wnr3500l

OOPS! No external antennae

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

Give the WNR3500L a miss, it has really poor wireless performance, the WRT54G is at least twice as good.

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by toby:

Give the WNR3500L a miss, it has really poor wireless performance, the WRT54G is at least twice as good.

Not really, but that's your opinion. I'm using one and have had experience with Linksys and much prefer it. Running Toastman's tomato, maybe that's the difference.

tucker8235
@bellsouth.net

tucker8235 to neonhomer

Anon

to neonhomer
Why not just buy a WRT54GL brand new? They are usually $50 at newegg shipped. The only reason to go for something else would be to get a gigabit switch imo.

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
With certain cable service a gig switch capability is required for modem to acknowledge the router.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to PeeWee

to PeeWee
said by PeeWee:

said by toby:

Not really, but that's your opinion. I'm using one and have had experience with Linksys and much prefer it. Running Toastman's tomato, maybe that's the difference.

I have tested the signal strengths with InSSIDer on a laptop aswell as wifi analyzer on an Android phone.

I have seen many reviews where the signal quality of the WNR3500L is poor. I have used TomatoUSB for the most part on my routers, always works well.

I have also used other Netgear and TP-Link routers with their own firmware, also not as good as the old dependable WRT54G.

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by toby:

said by PeeWee:

said by toby:

I have tested the signal strengths with InSSIDer on a laptop aswell as wifi analyzer on an Android phone.

I have seen many reviews where the signal quality of the WNR3500L is poor. I have used TomatoUSB for the most part on my routers, always works well.

I have also used other Netgear and TP-Link routers with their own firmware, also not as good as the old dependable WRT54G.

On a 10/100 network, maybe. But where a gig port is required for modem compatibility, fail. (your words)
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

So, I am looking for a replacement. All of my wireless devices are still "G". I have five wired devices and four wireless (seven if you count the three smartphones) devices.

Why not the same replacement?
New routers have a faster cpu and hence wan speed, and maybe gigabit lan, but unless you live in an city with 100/10M service, wan speed is not an issue.
I have WRT54Gv2 with ddwrt or tomato, or openwrt for 14.95, or the newer WRT54GL for 24.95.
Either can handle 20Mbps, has bandwidth monitoring, and advances routing features.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

stev32k to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
I would get the WRT54g-tm with DD-WRT pre-installed. There are several on ebay now. The-tm has 32 MB memory and 8 MB flash that's a little better than the v2.

I have two of them that are now 4 years old one is the AP the other is a repeater. Both have been running at 200 Mhz the whole time. They both have -9dB antennas and I have complete coverage in the house, yard, and garage.