spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Frosh
@verizon.net

Frosh

Anon

[connectivity] Verizon DSL not available anymore

Currently I have the $19.99 DSL plan. I was thinking of upgrading to the $29.99 DSL plan, but they said it wasn't offered in my NYC neighborhood due to FiOS being available. So they are trying to force me to FiOS, but I don't want FiOS. Any way to get the upgraded plan and know what speed I would get?

Thanks for any help!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

If Verizon isn't offering the upgraded plan, then that's the end of that subject. If there are any other DSL providers in your area (they all have to use Verizon's lines, of course) they may offer an upgrade, but you'll have to do your own research based on your phone number or address.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Frosh

Premium Member

to Frosh
DSL is not available to new customers in FiOS markets. If you already have have DSL you can try a few different REPS to see if they will put the speed up however that DEPENDS on IF your line can handle higher speeds. Your line may only qualify for the lower 1 meg tier. In that case you could never get a higher speed. That said verizon is trying to FORCE FiOS down every DSL customers throat. You can go to a CLEC like DSL extreme but still may not be able to get higher speeds. Other options include a WISP like clearwire if available in your area or cable .

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang to Frosh

to Frosh
as has been said, it is a major pain to upgrade dsl if you can get fios.

that being said, can you post up your stats, and see if you can actually get a speed upgrade. assuming you're using a westell 6100 modem (and i think 7500 gateway is the same), it should be at »192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

Frosh
@verizon.net

Frosh

Anon

Transceiver Information     Down Stream Path	Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)	    1184	                 448
Margin (dB)	                  32.7	                 26.0
Line Attenuation (dB)	    43.0	                 21.5
Transmit Power (dBm)	    10.8	                 12.0

It is a westell 7500.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Frosh

Premium Member

to Frosh
stats look OK line should take the upper tier however because of FiOS being available they may not allow any changes except switch to fiber if you want to stay with Verizon or you can stay on that 1 meg tier or try other options with another provider. Last resort try a few more calls and see if another rep will up it if not then thats it.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang to Frosh

to Frosh
you should be able to do the highest tier on that line with absolutely no problems, it's in excellent condition. i will note that just because it can handle it doesn't necessarily mean the co has enough bandwidth for it.

i would say call a few times, and see if you can get someone who can do it. i would also recommend going to tech support department first, they seem more helpful with this kind of stuff.

Anon12
@verizon.net

Anon12 to Frosh

Anon

to Frosh
Verizon should add another plan, e.g. 5/1 for a price comparable to DSL, to FIOS to accomodate DSL customer migration. Some people just don't need a lot of bandwidth.

Merry1
Premium Member
join:2004-05-27
Lancaster, PA

Merry1 to Frosh

Premium Member

to Frosh
Off topic, but though I'd share my experience.
I had residential DSL (dry loop) through Verizon since late 2006 until the end of last week. I wanted to upgrade my service, but of course Verizon won't upgrade dry loop customers without adding voice service. One rep told me it is because troubleshooting dry loop problems is more difficult for their technicians. ROFLMAO!
Anyway, I found a fairly small company in my area that resells Verizon DSL. They offer dry loop DSL, and I was able to upgrade my service (triple down, double up) for a few dollars more than my old/grandfathered plan with Verizon.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Anon12

to Anon12
said by Anon12 :

Verizon should add another plan, e.g. 5/1 for a price comparable to DSL, to FIOS to accomodate DSL customer migration. Some people just don't need a lot of bandwidth.

Verizon did implement a $20 3/1 Fios tier for this very purpose, a year ago July. Haven't heard a peep about it since.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

It still seems to be around. Word of it surfaces when more folks complain about getting booted off of DSL

AlFrugal
@verizon.net

AlFrugal to Frosh

Anon

to Frosh
Printed on the front of the envelope of both my September and October (paper) Verizon bill:

"Upgrade to FIOS 3/1 Mbps Internet and Digital Voice for only $44.99/mo for 1 year"

I currently have DSL 1Mbps/784 kbps.

Anon12
@verizon.net

Anon12 to elray

Anon

to elray
elray, thanks for the heads up.

Smith6612, I did some searching and saw a post (here: »FiOS 3 / 1 Package now available ) that said the 3/1 plan is only by invitation and is actually provisioned 5/2. Is this still the case from the posts you've seen here? Thanks in advance if you can answer that.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I'm pretty sure that's the case. They invite you to it to get you onto FiOS from DSL. I haven't confirmed if it runs at 5/2 myself but others have.