uniqs

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

I currently have Windows 7 on my gaming machine, and my other machines. Two of those, I am thinking about upgrading to Windows 8 when it comes out. Anyone else doing it or are you holding off? I don't know how Windows 8 will affect peformance in games.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

WireHead

Premium Member

I'm not upgrading my current rig, but I'm going to be building one after January and I'll pick it up then. I'll be giving this one to my kids to use and 7 is a great OS,

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to atuarre

to atuarre
I think I will be staying away from windows 8 and staying with windows 7, so many new things to learn with win 8 and experience and its required to relearn all those things all over again. If you take a good look at all windows you will see a pattern (one version crummy while the next is better, repeat) windows vista was a very crappy windows, thats for sure but windows xp was outstanding and now theres windows 7, its as if its a newer version of xp.

I know a lot of people who put lots of time into xp and there still running it to this day witch is good imo, besides its the only thing that's compatible to old software (including games) heck I wouldn't be very surprised if many are still using win 95 but its there choice.

I was told a few times by different people that with windows 8, you can only install one OS (per machine/tower) if this is the case then i sure ain't going to even use win 8, I use to have three OS's on this system i had always been using and i had no such trouble with it and i don't want win 8 to manipulate that. I don't wanna even think about security on windows 8, passwords for administration privilege to install programs (same as in win 7) and even opening programs or updating (that would be ridiculous)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
Not immediately, at least. I have several Win7 computers in the house, but Vista on the HTPC, so I ordered a copy for it. We'll see how we like it.
Jorge11
join:2012-10-17

Jorge11 to atuarre

to atuarre
I won't upgrade immediately. I want to see how Win 8 will be before changing from 7.
Shatter13
join:2006-07-24
Waterford, MI

Shatter13 to atuarre

to atuarre
Nope, 7 works well for me right now and dont feel like screwing with it unless I knew I would gain some huge performance benefit

Fishead1
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Fishead1 to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I'm still using 64 bit version of Windows XP. If I build another PC any time soon I may go to Windows 7 but not 8.
Windows 8 is a complete departure from the Windows and it seems more made to compete with Apple and also because Microsoft is getting into the tablet business.Eventually if Microsoft continues to go down this path I will look to go to Linux.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

1 recommendation

ekster to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I'll wait till Windows 9. If MS stays on track, it'll be kickass.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I'll let the rest of the world test it for me for a year or two.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
No interest here. I'd rather buy an extra game or two than an OS.
Like with what happened when XPx64 lost support, and win7 was there to take over, I'll get something newer when win 7 loses support.
jofos
join:2008-02-14
Irvington, AL

jofos to atuarre

to atuarre
I still like windows 95

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

I'll wait till Windows 9. If MS stays on track, it'll be kickass.

This + 1, Windows 7 64 bits works just fine don't see a reason to change.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to atuarre

to atuarre
I usually only upgrade to the "latest" OS when I upgrade my PC

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to atuarre

to atuarre
No

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to puppy

to puppy
said by puppy:

I usually only upgrade to the "latest" OS when I upgrade my PC

+1 - Same for me.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to atuarre

to atuarre
said by atuarre:

I currently have Windows 7 on my gaming machine, and my other machines. Two of those, I am thinking about upgrading to Windows 8 when it comes out. Anyone else doing it or are you holding off? I don't know how Windows 8 will affect peformance in games.

I have free access to 8 but I see no reason to upgrade my gaming lappy.

If there were some compelling reason like marked performance boost I would rebuild it with 8.

But I have SO many games to install that there is no rush.

Dave
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit

gaforces (banned) to atuarre

to atuarre
I'll wait till comprehensive benchmarks from multiple sources publish more data to see how the speed and compatibility compares to Win7 which is working well atm.
Beta drivers usually have problems that cause me much aggravation.

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho to atuarre

to atuarre
Nope, win7 is my last windows. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 9 is most likely going to be full cloud based. With steam coming to Linux and steam port the source engine, there are other developers in the list that will probably port as well. For me, Linux will be my next OS.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to diablo18926

to diablo18926
Ironically CNET had a walk through to dual boot Windows 7 and 8, I couldn't get it to work following their steps, 8 kept throwing a fit that it wasn't the primary OS.

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

Ryan to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I guess I am the oddball, as I will probably do a clean install tomorrow. With the upgrade only costing $40 dollars I figured why not. It starts much faster and the built in iso mounting is something I have always wanted. Metro is bleh, but I rarely used the start menu anyways (I pin my applications to the taskbar) so the only time I will really open it is to open rarely used applications or pin new applications.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

I'll let the rest of the world test it for me for a year or two.

+1

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to atuarre

to atuarre
I think we(my family) going to skip windows 8. I really don't see anything that makes my jaw-drop.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to cpsycho

Premium Member

to cpsycho
said by cpsycho:

Nope, win7 is my last windows. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 9 is most likely going to be full cloud based. With steam coming to Linux and steam port the source engine, there are other developers in the list that will probably port as well. For me, Linux will be my next OS.

Hopefully the situation you describe will be a reality for me as well. I'll be hanging onto Win 7 for my gaming machines as long as I can, but I have no intentions of moving beyond Windows 7... I'll be settling on either Ubuntu or MInt.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

2 recommendations

Exodus to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
No. Hope like hell that Linux will eventually play all the games that I play and then I could drop the OS entirely.
ohh
join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA

ohh to atuarre

to atuarre
Nah, fuck M$ for dumbing down Windows 8. Tablet =! Desktop / Laptop.

Windows 7 will most likely be the last for me unless they change their attitude about OS and computer users.

I'll most likely go to some kind of .nix OS. I'm just hoping that wine will support everything about foobar2000. Anyone know any super awesome audio players for .nix? In foobar I have all the plugins setup to drive my speakers how I like it

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
Dual-booted windows 8, spent about 20 minutes tweaking stuff I didn't like to look/act like windows 7. After noticing the horrible "classic gray" inactive window colors decided it's not worth the time and effort and may as well just keep on trucking with windows 7 until if and when they enable aero glass and add a desktop mode for the modern ui that doesn't have huge empty icons that simply waste space.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
No, every other OS from MS has been bad (or every other one good depending on your glass).

Good- 2000, XP, 7
Bad - 95, Me, Vista

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to ohh

Premium Member

to ohh
Some useful info:

»www.hydrogenaudio.org/fo ··· ic=90199

They recommend foobnix (site is in cyrillic alphabet, making it a little tough to figure out) and deadbeef.

Good luck.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to atuarre

to atuarre
I'll probably just make my own OS.

Hyrules
join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC
·EBOX

Hyrules to atuarre

to atuarre
Already have. I have access to free Windows 8 pro from my university academic program with microsoft. The only problem I have with it right now is my soundcard loses it's config ( creative sb) every time I reboot. They should release the official drivers pretty soon. It takes about a week to get use to the no menu setup or metro ui. Otherwise it's pretty fast and I dont have any other problem with it. It's built on the already working well windows 7 so there are not alot of risks.