share rss forum feed

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to El Quintron

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

said by El Quintron:

said by TigerLord:

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.

I'll second disdain towards Wubi.

Another alternative is virtual machine. Because games require more dedication, Windows is usually my host OS. I have many, many different flavors of Linux within vdi files all over my house. I dual boot Windows 8 and Arch, with Virtual Box in both that utilize shared .vdi's to help test development.

As I only use Windows for DirectX games, mainly, Windows 8 was a nice upgrade. With all the games on the tiles, I boot, pick and am in enjoying it much, noticeably much faster than any other version. It really does feel like a gaming appliance now, I thought that would bother me, but it doesn't. If I want to tinker, hack, or get my geek on: Linux is there. If I just want to game, I'm 16-24 seconds from power button to in-game menu with Windows 8.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

Hyrules

join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Videotron
·ELECTRONICBOX
·FreePhoneLine
reply to atuarre

Second that. Win8 is much faster than 7 . I've been using it for 3 weeks now and i'm used to metro and new shortcuts. Anyway 99% of the time you will end up on the desktop.
--
- Technicien en informatique [A+]
- Chasseur d'orage

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

I'm going to upgrade my PC to Windows 8.

I want more bells and whistles that I'm not going to use.

AND I want my PC to run slower.

MS pushes OSes because they are in the business of making money off of OSes!!

They'll change interfaces and stop supporting older OSes, just to make money!

As other users have pointed out, Windows 8 is much faster.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

You could create a live distro with unetbootin + a live distro of your choice.

Knoppix is a distro that's intended to be used live rather than installed you could give that a go.

I use K/X/Ubuntu live all the time to fix and recover friends' borked Windows machines.

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to El Quintron

I understand your rationale, but the only reason I haven't dabbled into Linux so far is because what I use a PC most for is gaming and work, both of which are better accommodated in Windows.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

But they're not as user friendly as iOS or Windows. They need to be if they want to pierce through.

There are some distros that are aimed specifically at people switching from Windows... so the effort is being made that's for sure.

Also worth mentionning... a learning curve is a learning curve. If you spent as much time on Linux as you do on Windows you'd know it as well as Windows.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to ekster

Google has helped this jump immensely over the last few years.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Archivis

I find the new Linux releases to be very user friendly and easy to use.

And Linux community has had the best support I've ever seen.

Only downside is there just isn't too much software still, so getting something to meet your needs might be a bit harder to find, or if you do find, it might require some effort to compile, install, etc.

But overall, there has been a HUGE jump from 5 years ago and it's still continuing to rapidly improve.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to TigerLord

They're much closer than you would think. There are several builds out there that are very close and the support communities are much better than say... the League of Legends community.

Linux isn't necessarily for the grandma, but for an enthusiast, it could be. If a company like Valve can package a Steam product to run flawlessly on Linux, then the ease of use is identical to Windows or iOS.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to Archivis

But they're not as user friendly as iOS or Windows. They need to be if they want to pierce through.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to TigerLord

Linux has several choices in GUIs. Some of them are very nice.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

And the open Linux platform, combined with the continuous closing of the Microsoft platforms means that Linux is more of a possibility than ever.

Android demonstrated how a company can be successful on a Linux platform.

If Linux can come out with a nice GUI, everything is possible.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to atuarre

I'm going to upgrade my PC to Windows 8.

I want more bells and whistles that I'm not going to use.

AND I want my PC to run slower.

MS pushes OSes because they are in the business of making money off of OSes!!

They'll change interfaces and stop supporting older OSes, just to make money!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to malem83

And the open Linux platform, combined with the continuous closing of the Microsoft platforms means that Linux is more of a possibility than ever.

Android demonstrated how a company can be successful on a Linux platform.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

malem83

join:2006-08-25
Quebec, QC
reply to WhyMe420

Going to Linux for playing PC games won't be that easy. Steam are making great steps in that direction but remember that they don't publish every games.

It must become a developper's choice to develop on this platform and they will follow the direction of the majority of people. And they will go to a cloud based OS, I fear.

Microsoft, google, apple are slowly converting us. Everything is becoming cloud based.
--
La vie continue ... / Life goes on ...

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
reply to Baud1200

said by Baud1200:

said by cpsycho:

Nope, win7 is my last windows. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 9 is most likely going to be full cloud based. With steam coming to Linux and steam port the source engine, there are other developers in the list that will probably port as well. For me, Linux will be my next OS.

Yep, looking to Linux now as well as everything else seems to be moving to the cloud storage and content nannying. We can only hope that there is enough market and no influence from Microsoft on large developers, that they start to port the games over, would be a death blow for MS imo, as pretty much every PC gamer i know would convert to Linux, really game compatibility is pretty much the only reason most home users used windows to begin with.

I will be upgrading an old Vista partition (Have 7 and Vista on the gaming rig) to 8 however as you said if Win 9 is cloud-based then bye-bye. I avoid all this cloud crap it's bad enough that I have to put crucial information into Steam and everything I purchase online only to have them get hacked, not going to start putting every personal file I own on servers that I have no idea where in hell they are nor who's looking at them. This cloud crap is so stupid, are people really that stupid? Sure it's convenient, but too often have I seen the price that people have paid for "convenience" on the Internet.
Expand your moderator at work

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to cpsycho

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

said by cpsycho:

Nope, win7 is my last windows. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 9 is most likely going to be full cloud based. With steam coming to Linux and steam port the source engine, there are other developers in the list that will probably port as well. For me, Linux will be my next OS.

Yep, looking to Linux now as well as everything else seems to be moving to the cloud storage and content nannying. We can only hope that there is enough market and no influence from Microsoft on large developers, that they start to port the games over, would be a death blow for MS imo, as pretty much every PC gamer i know would convert to Linux, really game compatibility is pretty much the only reason most home users used windows to begin with.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
reply to atuarre

Upgraded this weekend and while the MetroUI took a little getting used to, I'm ok now. Loads faster, shuts down faster and have gotten a little better performance in games.

The only issues I've had is with my Brother Printer software claiming to have problems... and not. And my Bluetooth headset needed to be repaired several times, but works now.

My games all work: SWTOR, GW3, and Planetside 2.

mr_boodog

join:2008-08-12
reply to atuarre

Certainly not any of my gaming systems. There are too many unknowns given how MS is trying to be like Apple in sandboxing apps and limiting software to "approved" MS app store apps.

Rumors abound on how many current games might not even run because they have not gone through their approval process.

If MS locks down their OS as Apple does, it is going to be the final blow to Windows as a mainstream os for the public. IF it cannot run Skyrim or Starcraft, Windows 7 will stay around longer than XP.

Bergmann

join:2012-10-24
Cambridge, MA
reply to atuarre

yes. I agree. I don't see much point of doing the upgrade. I may wait, maybe after half year or so.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to atuarre

I don't see any reason to do so.

Firstly, it's a money issue.

Secondly, I'm not fond of the missing start and the changes done to how to actually access things in Windows 8 vs. 7.

Third, given Microsoft's uh... "pattern" for OS quality based on release, all signs point to 8 being shit.

Fourth, I'm having a hard enough time finding a motherboard I like enough to start a new build with, much less gear worth making a new system out of before I could even think about what OS to put on it.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to atuarre

I am holding off mainly because I want to be sure its compatible with all games and no MacGuyvering of settings is required.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to kcrupp

untill after december?? pff that means everyone will prolly get a copy as there christmas present... rip off MS, thats all i gotta say but the more the people buy it, the more the expense of total on it rises..... I would not be surprised if MS got over a million dollars because of this either. oh well
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

kcrupp

join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

said by kcrupp:

This is with the taskbar "up"

Wait, so minus the "Start" menu (which I find myself using less and less), and the Metro UI, how is this different from Win 7? I think I'll save my $40 for something decent, like MoH, Halo 4, or *gasp* Microsoft Office (2010, because 2012 is entirely on the cloud).

Well, as I stated, there's a lot of little things that impress me. But the over riding reason I upgraded now is the price, Its going to cost a hundred dollars more to upgrade after December. Having said that, now that I've actually upgraded, I would say to wait. Yes, there are problems. Driver and accessory support just isn't there yet. Razer says my Copperhead might get a driver in November. Ect, Ect. Ect... Adobe?....pffffffft. No new flash support yet. I mean, come on. Win 8 has only been in beta for 6 plus months.

The_ANoN

@charter.com
reply to sk1939

Not upgrading here... Im fine with Windows 7

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kcrupp

said by kcrupp:

This is with the taskbar "up"

Wait, so minus the "Start" menu (which I find myself using less and less), and the Metro UI, how is this different from Win 7? I think I'll save my $40 for something decent, like MoH, Halo 4, or *gasp* Microsoft Office (2010, because 2012 is entirely on the cloud).

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Ryan

Gonna throw it on the HTPC today. Upgrading from Vista, so even if it sucks, it will suck less than Vista. At $40, you won't find me complaining either.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to atuarre

Well my fresh install is running great so far. Pretty happy with it overall. Not a big fan of all the metro apps so I removed all but the weather and photos. Metro is just a glorified start menu and it runs as quickly as the start menu in windows 7, but in fact it searches faster. Overall it feels much snappier and it had a big bump in boot speed.

As far as gaming dont really think it makes a difference. As far as os I think there have been many nice improvemnts (native iso mounting, built in pdf viewer, more detailed and controllable file copies). Overall I am happy and for 39.99 I cant really complain, although I have to admit I probably wouldnt have paid more then that.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

said by atuarre:

Battlefield 3 ran fine, except the screen will go black for about a second after I get killed before showing who killed me, never had that happen on Windows 7. Not too worried about that. If Battlefield 3 plays fine, then im sure my other games will play fine.

Thats probably only half of it then, as long as this does not worsen and possibly stay away from SP mode a little bit every now and then you should be fine.. What I was referring to is the time when i finally upgraded to win 7 for the first time, everything seemed perfect when i first played my game on it, the game was called far cry 2 so yea pretty old but there is a difference between having only win 7 drivers installed and not with asus drivers or the GFX drivers (cannot remember) anyway my SP mode was acting funny, it was showing floating items in the air, burn marks in my GFX on my screen, half the screen was blacked out, alot of weird stuff.

I was out of it when I got those drivers yesterday. I don't even remember how I got from my computers into the room where I sleep. After looking at the ASUS site again, I was downloading old drivers, that were beta, but they had new drivers up. So silly.