Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

Google has helped this jump immensely over the last few years.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

But they're not as user friendly as iOS or Windows. They need to be if they want to pierce through.

There are some distros that are aimed specifically at people switching from Windows... so the effort is being made that's for sure.

Also worth mentionning... a learning curve is a learning curve. If you spent as much time on Linux as you do on Windows you'd know it as well as Windows.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

I understand your rationale, but the only reason I haven't dabbled into Linux so far is because what I use a PC most for is gaming and work, both of which are better accommodated in Windows.

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

You could create a live distro with unetbootin + a live distro of your choice.

Knoppix is a distro that's intended to be used live rather than installed you could give that a go.

I use K/X/Ubuntu live all the time to fix and recover friends' borked Windows machines.

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

I'm going to upgrade my PC to Windows 8.

I want more bells and whistles that I'm not going to use.

AND I want my PC to run slower.

MS pushes OSes because they are in the business of making money off of OSes!!

They'll change interfaces and stop supporting older OSes, just to make money!

As other users have pointed out, Windows 8 is much faster.

Hyrules
join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC

Hyrules to atuarre

to atuarre
Second that. Win8 is much faster than 7 . I've been using it for 3 weeks now and i'm used to metro and new shortcuts. Anyway 99% of the time you will end up on the desktop.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by TigerLord:

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.

I'll second disdain towards Wubi.

Another alternative is virtual machine. Because games require more dedication, Windows is usually my host OS. I have many, many different flavors of Linux within vdi files all over my house. I dual boot Windows 8 and Arch, with Virtual Box in both that utilize shared .vdi's to help test development.

As I only use Windows for DirectX games, mainly, Windows 8 was a nice upgrade. With all the games on the tiles, I boot, pick and am in enjoying it much, noticeably much faster than any other version. It really does feel like a gaming appliance now, I thought that would bother me, but it doesn't. If I want to tinker, hack, or get my geek on: Linux is there. If I just want to game, I'm 16-24 seconds from power button to in-game menu with Windows 8.

Nightshade
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Nightshade to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I put it on my desktop at first (got an SSD for programs and applications) and it worked great. No issues what so ever.

Then I loaded up vent and the Old Republic.

Come to find out that I couldn't chat and play at the same time. The multitasking was either funked up or something. It was a pain in the tush to have to go out of TOR to chat in vent (windowed mode), and with a OPs I might of as well as not even use vent. TOR plays fine BTW on 8 if you want to know.

So I put back 7 and threw 8 on the laptop because I still want to use 8 due to probably having people who I know may use it, and have questions and may have to troubleshoot it.

8 is nice and I got the hang of working with metro rather quickly. Since I don't use vent on my laptop the multitasking issue I had with the desktop doesn't apply.

If any of you have come across this since I am sure you all use vent or teamspeak for chatting while gaming did you come up with a solution for it, or point out to me what I was doing wrong.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by Nightshade:

If any of you have come across this since I am sure you all use vent or teamspeak for chatting while gaming did you come up with a solution for it, or point out to me what I was doing wrong.

TOR and Vent don't work for me on any OS except Windows XP. Vista, 7, nor 8. The workaround is to launch both Vent and TOR as "Administrator". You can do this by checking the box under the shortcut properties or by right clicking both of them and choosing "launch as Administrator".

Nightshade
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Nightshade

Premium Member

said by markofmayhem See Profile
TOR and Vent don't work for me on any OS except Windows XP. Vista, 7, nor 8. The workaround is to launch both Vent and TOR as "Administrator". You can do this by checking the box under the shortcut properties or by right clicking both of them and choosing "launch as Administrator".
[/BQUOTE :

So do you think launching them both as admin will allow me to play TOR and chat on vent at the same time without minimizing the game?

Worth a try. I'll see if that works when I get home.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by Nightshade:

So do you think launching them both as admin will allow me to play TOR and chat on vent at the same time without minimizing the game?

It's the only way I can get Vent to operate correctly with many games that take over audio, such as TOR and BF3, though completely eliminating EA's Sonar helped with BF3 as well as launching both Vent and the game with Admin elevation.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by markofmayhem:

said by Nightshade:

It's the only way I can get Vent to operate correctly with many games that take over audio, such as TOR and BF3, though completely eliminating EA's Sonar helped with BF3 as well as launching both Vent and the game with Admin elevation.

I know you guys are talking about teamspeak but I was just gonna say that xfire has a nice overlay while in many different games.. When xfire is running you can chat with friends but by typing, see what everyone is playing, see what game servers are all up and running, etc.

I honestly do not like teamspeak, I find it sometimes to be.. rather bothering... I get annoyed too easily when I either hear quietness over my speaker, I turn off my music just to talk to others but all i hear is quietness, because they are afk.. Another reason why i find it annoying is when kids whine and complain about every little thing while in game.. I like to enjoy the game instead of having to teamspeak with that kid the entire time i'm playing, this eats up my entire gaming time.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I'm sure that the under-the-hood changes in Windows 8 would improve DirectX games, but what about games that use OpenGL?

One of the big things that always bugged me with ATi is how shit they are in OpenGL performance for what's supposed to be superior hardware, and for the time that I used them, legendarily unstable to boot at anything that used OpenGL at all.

How does Windows 8 handle OpenGL then? Is it left up to the video driver like it is in Windows 7?

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by C0deZer0:

but what about games that use OpenGL?

Probably be added to the rest of collectables in the corner, pretty sad if thats what has to be done but its whats gotta be done, but i'm not sure since i only know games use it but not windows or any other OS so.
kcrupp
join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI

kcrupp to atuarre

to atuarre
Open Gl appears to work just fine on Win 8. Apparently, there may be issues with older cards and driver support catching up.

JimMcCoy
join:2011-08-20
Midlothian, VA

JimMcCoy to atuarre

to atuarre
I upgraded my main rig on the release day and i've not had any issues; OS is very fast: booting, file transfers, older programs, etc., it just works.

Desktop is what I expected, no real changes there not missing the Start button at all; the Metro UI is interesting, I see plenty of potential. If you are just using a mouse, scroll bar works fine; if you have a multi-touch device (Wacom Intuos5 or Apple Magic Trackpad) its just like using a touch screen (at least it is to me).

Say what you will, I've been tearin apart and building computers since 1989, I definitely think they have another winner here; I'm hoping that they can create some interesting games that will take advantage of the Metro UI. If not (rather when I finish my Master's this spring) I'll thow one together I've been thinking about for while.
kcrupp
Allen Park, MI

kcrupp to atuarre

to atuarre
Click for full size
Steams Big Picture Beta on Win 8

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

2 recommendations

Baud1200 to atuarre

to atuarre
said by atuarre See Profile...
"As other users have pointed out, Windows 8 is much faster. "

I wonder how many of these "other users" have been sitting on the same install of Win 7 for over 2 years without reinstalling... You would see a performance boost just by simply reinstalling a clean version of 7 this far in.

kcrupp
Allen Park, MI

kcrupp

said by Baud1200:

I wonder how many of these "other users" have been sitting on the same install of Win 7 for over 2 years without reinstalling... You would see a performance boost just by simply reinstalling a clean version of 7 this far in.

Or maybe we have and Win 8 is faster?

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to Baud1200

Premium Member

to Baud1200
I do clean installs multiple times every month, on both of my Windows machines. Not so much on any of my machines running Linux.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Wow, every month!? Why? Once I get everything setup the way I like it, I don't want it to change until the next OS comes out.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Wow, every month!? Why? Once I get everything setup the way I like it, I don't want it to change until the next OS comes out.

Always have, since Windows Vista. I buy a new computer every other year for gaming, and the former gaming computer becomes my second Windows machine. I just bought my new gaming PC this year, so next year, I won't, and in 2014, I will buy a new gaming machine. The old Windows machine, will become another Linux box, the (in 2014) old gaming machine, which is now my new machine, will becoming my old Windows machine, and the new gaming machine will take its place as the new gaming PC.

I just have always redone them, as clean installs, every so often. Games don't take long to reinstall, and anything important, like spreadsheets, files, etc, that I do on the other machine, are stored on network drives.

I love how fast Windows 8 is though. Can't get over that.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Wow, a new computer every other year? I'd like to be able to do that. I usually upgrade my GPU about that often. Still trucking away on x58, and I don't see a need switch (although I probably will when LGA 1155's replacement drops).

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Wow, a new computer every other year? I'd like to be able to do that. I usually upgrade my GPU about that often. Still trucking away on x58, and I don't see a need switch (although I probably will when LGA 1155's replacement drops).

You do it more often than I do, I'm also running X58 still, and will until at least this time next year. GPU upgrades I do every two years or so (9800GT to 6870 to show the frequency interval).

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I'm still in love with x58.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to Baud1200

to Baud1200
said by Baud1200:

Or maybe people upgraded their old version of Windows 7 and find Windows 8 faster.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I did go to Win8 when it was available. Last night I went back to Win7. It just doesn't work well at all without all the touchscreen shit Microsoft want you to have. It seemed like some kind of hybrid desktop/mobile/tablet OS that wasn't ready for deployment.

netentropy
@sbcglobal.net

netentropy to atuarre

Anon

to atuarre
Have been using Windows 8 RP. All games (including MW3, Black Ops & Crysis 2) work great. No issues.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Harddrive

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

I did go to Win8 when it was available. Last night I went back to Win7. It just doesn't work well at all without all the touchscreen shit Microsoft want you to have. It seemed like some kind of hybrid desktop/mobile/tablet OS that wasn't ready for deployment.

ditto

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU to atuarre

to atuarre
At this point in time, No. I won't be upgrading to Windows 8. My current system runs perfectly. Lately, I've hardly had issues (knock on wood) with anything I've been running or thrown at my system. I've finally gotten to the point where everything literally just works great! My hardware is optimally OC'd, OS settings/permissions are set beautifully, and the system is overall finely tuned to eek out the most performance from everything in and on it.

I'm really very happy with Windows 7 and where I'm at. I'm going to be working on budgeting some hardware upgrades in the next month that will really set me up for the next year or two. But as far as my OS... I'm golden. Windows 7 is an awesome operating system. I don't want to throw away a time-tested, solid OS at this point for an OS just out the gate.

I'd like to run Win 8 on atleast *a* machine and buy a touchscreen monitor for it. But Win 8 is not gonna touch my gaming machine with a 10 ft. pole.