uniqs
share rss forum feed

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to atuarre

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

Wow, every month!? Why? Once I get everything setup the way I like it, I don't want it to change until the next OS comes out.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Z'ha'dum
said by urbanriot:

Wow, every month!? Why? Once I get everything setup the way I like it, I don't want it to change until the next OS comes out.

Always have, since Windows Vista. I buy a new computer every other year for gaming, and the former gaming computer becomes my second Windows machine. I just bought my new gaming PC this year, so next year, I won't, and in 2014, I will buy a new gaming machine. The old Windows machine, will become another Linux box, the (in 2014) old gaming machine, which is now my new machine, will becoming my old Windows machine, and the new gaming machine will take its place as the new gaming PC.

I just have always redone them, as clean installs, every so often. Games don't take long to reinstall, and anything important, like spreadsheets, files, etc, that I do on the other machine, are stored on network drives.

I love how fast Windows 8 is though. Can't get over that.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Wow, a new computer every other year? I'd like to be able to do that. I usually upgrade my GPU about that often. Still trucking away on x58, and I don't see a need switch (although I probably will when LGA 1155's replacement drops).
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Krisnatharok:

Wow, a new computer every other year? I'd like to be able to do that. I usually upgrade my GPU about that often. Still trucking away on x58, and I don't see a need switch (although I probably will when LGA 1155's replacement drops).

You do it more often than I do, I'm also running X58 still, and will until at least this time next year. GPU upgrades I do every two years or so (9800GT to 6870 to show the frequency interval).

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
I'm still in love with x58.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1
reply to Baud1200
said by Baud1200:

said by atuarre See Profile...
"As other users have pointed out, Windows 8 is much faster. "

I wonder how many of these "other users" have been sitting on the same install of Win 7 for over 2 years without reinstalling... You would see a performance boost just by simply reinstalling a clean version of 7 this far in.

Or maybe people upgraded their old version of Windows 7 and find Windows 8 faster.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to atuarre
I did go to Win8 when it was available. Last night I went back to Win7. It just doesn't work well at all without all the touchscreen shit Microsoft want you to have. It seemed like some kind of hybrid desktop/mobile/tablet OS that wasn't ready for deployment.
--
"The level of sacrifice that you give is beyond my comprehension. If the rest of us in the Country showed the level sacrifice that you do on a daily basis, we wouldn't have any of the problems we have." – Comedian Lewis Black speaking to the US troops.

netentropy

@sbcglobal.net
reply to atuarre
Have been using Windows 8 RP. All games (including MW3, Black Ops & Crysis 2) work great. No issues.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

I did go to Win8 when it was available. Last night I went back to Win7. It just doesn't work well at all without all the touchscreen shit Microsoft want you to have. It seemed like some kind of hybrid desktop/mobile/tablet OS that wasn't ready for deployment.

ditto

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
reply to atuarre
At this point in time, No. I won't be upgrading to Windows 8. My current system runs perfectly. Lately, I've hardly had issues (knock on wood) with anything I've been running or thrown at my system. I've finally gotten to the point where everything literally just works great! My hardware is optimally OC'd, OS settings/permissions are set beautifully, and the system is overall finely tuned to eek out the most performance from everything in and on it.

I'm really very happy with Windows 7 and where I'm at. I'm going to be working on budgeting some hardware upgrades in the next month that will really set me up for the next year or two. But as far as my OS... I'm golden. Windows 7 is an awesome operating system. I don't want to throw away a time-tested, solid OS at this point for an OS just out the gate.

I'd like to run Win 8 on atleast *a* machine and buy a touchscreen monitor for it. But Win 8 is not gonna touch my gaming machine with a 10 ft. pole.

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to cpsycho
said by cpsycho:

Nope, win7 is my last windows. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 9 is most likely going to be full cloud based. With steam coming to Linux and steam port the source engine, there are other developers in the list that will probably port as well. For me, Linux will be my next OS.

That is the way it is looking for me. You know the other big names will follow along once Steam starts it's domination on Linux. It's good that at least one of the big companies out there can see the light and is willing to lead the way.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to atuarre
I'd only recommend those with a touch-screen to upgrade to win8 for the gaming PC's. Win8 was developed for one purpose, to target the mobile market against Apple.

kcrupp

join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
said by bohratom:

I'd only recommend those with a touch-screen to upgrade to win8 for the gaming PC's. Win8 was developed for one purpose, to target the mobile market against Apple.

Win 8 works just fine with a mouse. And has been stated many times, is much faster than Win 7.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Z'ha'dum
said by kcrupp:

said by bohratom:

Win 8 works just fine with a mouse. And has been stated many times, is much faster than Win 7.

kcrupp pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Uncle Paul

USA
reply to kcrupp
said by kcrupp:

said by bohratom:

+1

Microsoft simply beat Apple to the punch on this. A unified iOS/OSX has been on the roadmap for Apple for some time. Windows 8 runs better than 7. Don't become your father and simply refuse to do something new because you have to change a few ways you do things. The next step down that road is yelling at the neighborhood kids for being on your yard.

Yes, Steam is coming to Linux and all the developers are going to jump ship on Direct X. Not happening. Not anytime soon.. certainly not enmass. PC games have a hard enough time competing with console for marketshare and you want to make that share even smaller by not programming for Windows? Not happening.

I still laugh in the guy's face a work about 'We'll never move off Windows NT, it's all we need'.

tonydenton88

join:2012-11-29
reply to atuarre
I'd like to wait a little bit..

Xentoch

join:2012-08-30
Chicago, IL
reply to atuarre
I wouldn't upgrade my desktop right now just to go to win8. But I just orderd a new gaming laptop this week and it will be coming with win8 installed. Im actually looking forward to checking it out.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
I upgraded mine at launch, interface took a day to get used too but it's great now.

Dradden

join:2009-01-17
I usually do not touch any new version of windows for a minimum of 1 year after it officially launches hehe. Still on 7 here atm.

vliktor

join:2005-07-27
Philippines
reply to atuarre
I frankly do not see a need to move to Windows 8. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Retail user here. I saw/read some of the performance reviews of existing games on Windows 8 v.s. Windows 7, and Windows 8 only showed marginal improvements.

For me, it'll all be about performance; I couldn't care less for that Metro UI garbage. I'll stick to my Android phone/iPod Touch for that, thanks.

Uncle Paul

USA
Seems worth it for even marginal improvement and super fast startup for $39.

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
reply to atuarre
Way too much is being made of the Metro UI. Its not that big of a deal. One click and you're at your old desktop.

Second, You can pay for the upgrade now, opt to burn it to a disk, and install anytime in the future as you please.

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to atuarre
By the way, anybody that upgrades to Win 8 can also get the Windows Media Center Upgrade /Pack whatever for free for a limited time.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ··· re-packs

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to kcrupp
No start button is jarring. The desktop is barren compared to past editions, and from what little I've seen, much of the power-user elements are either kept hidden deeper in the OS, or are just flat out gone.

I don't necessarily want to get a touchscreen monitor to use my PC. But with Windows 8's design, it's as if they're trying to make it mandatory. And all the prebuilts that have such displays usually sacrifice everything else that makes a PC in favor it.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
said by C0deZer0:

No start button is jarring. The desktop is barren compared to past editions, and from what little I've seen, much of the power-user elements are either kept hidden deeper in the OS, or are just flat out gone.

I don't necessarily want to get a touchscreen monitor to use my PC. But with Windows 8's design, it's as if they're trying to make it mandatory. And all the prebuilts that have such displays usually sacrifice everything else that makes a PC in favor it.

Right Click on the Metro UI -> Show all Apps

If it was there before you upgraded and wasn't un-installed due to incompatibility then its still there. Also, in the Metro UI you can just start typing what your looking for and it will find it. Control Panel, MSCONFIG, ect... Its all still there.

Uncle Paul

USA
reply to C0deZer0
Search -> Control Panel
Search -> Whatever you want.

It's really not hidden. A touch screen really isn't needed. Most of the people complaining about it are the ones who haven't even tried it.

join:2012-12-20
Juneau, AK
reply to atuarre
Not so far but looking to upgrade window 8.