uniqs

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to cpsycho

Premium Member

to cpsycho

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

said by cpsycho:

Nope, win7 is my last windows. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 9 is most likely going to be full cloud based. With steam coming to Linux and steam port the source engine, there are other developers in the list that will probably port as well. For me, Linux will be my next OS.

That is the way it is looking for me. You know the other big names will follow along once Steam starts it's domination on Linux. It's good that at least one of the big companies out there can see the light and is willing to lead the way.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to atuarre

to atuarre
I'd only recommend those with a touch-screen to upgrade to win8 for the gaming PC's. Win8 was developed for one purpose, to target the mobile market against Apple.
kcrupp
join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI

kcrupp

said by bohratom:

I'd only recommend those with a touch-screen to upgrade to win8 for the gaming PC's. Win8 was developed for one purpose, to target the mobile market against Apple.

Win 8 works just fine with a mouse. And has been stated many times, is much faster than Win 7.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

said by kcrupp:

said by bohratom:

Win 8 works just fine with a mouse. And has been stated many times, is much faster than Win 7.

kcrupp pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to kcrupp

to kcrupp
said by kcrupp:

said by bohratom:

+1

Microsoft simply beat Apple to the punch on this. A unified iOS/OSX has been on the roadmap for Apple for some time. Windows 8 runs better than 7. Don't become your father and simply refuse to do something new because you have to change a few ways you do things. The next step down that road is yelling at the neighborhood kids for being on your yard.

Yes, Steam is coming to Linux and all the developers are going to jump ship on Direct X. Not happening. Not anytime soon.. certainly not enmass. PC games have a hard enough time competing with console for marketshare and you want to make that share even smaller by not programming for Windows? Not happening.

I still laugh in the guy's face a work about 'We'll never move off Windows NT, it's all we need'.
tonydenton88
join:2012-11-29

tonydenton88 to atuarre

to atuarre
I'd like to wait a little bit..
Xentoch
join:2012-08-30
Chicago, IL

Xentoch to atuarre

to atuarre
I wouldn't upgrade my desktop right now just to go to win8. But I just orderd a new gaming laptop this week and it will be coming with win8 installed. Im actually looking forward to checking it out.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

I upgraded mine at launch, interface took a day to get used too but it's great now.
Dradden
join:2009-01-17

Dradden

I usually do not touch any new version of windows for a minimum of 1 year after it officially launches hehe. Still on 7 here atm.

vliktor
join:2005-07-27
Philippines

vliktor to atuarre

to atuarre
I frankly do not see a need to move to Windows 8. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Retail user here. I saw/read some of the performance reviews of existing games on Windows 8 v.s. Windows 7, and Windows 8 only showed marginal improvements.

For me, it'll all be about performance; I couldn't care less for that Metro UI garbage. I'll stick to my Android phone/iPod Touch for that, thanks.

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul

Seems worth it for even marginal improvement and super fast startup for $39.
kcrupp
Allen Park, MI

kcrupp to atuarre

to atuarre
Way too much is being made of the Metro UI. Its not that big of a deal. One click and you're at your old desktop.

Second, You can pay for the upgrade now, opt to burn it to a disk, and install anytime in the future as you please.
kcrupp

kcrupp to atuarre

to atuarre
By the way, anybody that upgrades to Win 8 can also get the Windows Media Center Upgrade /Pack whatever for free for a limited time.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· re-packs

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to kcrupp

Premium Member

to kcrupp
No start button is jarring. The desktop is barren compared to past editions, and from what little I've seen, much of the power-user elements are either kept hidden deeper in the OS, or are just flat out gone.

I don't necessarily want to get a touchscreen monitor to use my PC. But with Windows 8's design, it's as if they're trying to make it mandatory. And all the prebuilts that have such displays usually sacrifice everything else that makes a PC in favor it.
kcrupp
Allen Park, MI

kcrupp

said by C0deZer0:

No start button is jarring. The desktop is barren compared to past editions, and from what little I've seen, much of the power-user elements are either kept hidden deeper in the OS, or are just flat out gone.

I don't necessarily want to get a touchscreen monitor to use my PC. But with Windows 8's design, it's as if they're trying to make it mandatory. And all the prebuilts that have such displays usually sacrifice everything else that makes a PC in favor it.

Right Click on the Metro UI -> Show all Apps

If it was there before you upgraded and wasn't un-installed due to incompatibility then its still there. Also, in the Metro UI you can just start typing what your looking for and it will find it. Control Panel, MSCONFIG, ect... Its all still there.

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
Search -> Control Panel
Search -> Whatever you want.

It's really not hidden. A touch screen really isn't needed. Most of the people complaining about it are the ones who haven't even tried it.
58983932 (banned)
join:2012-12-20
Juneau, AK

58983932 (banned) to atuarre

to atuarre
Not so far but looking to upgrade window 8.