MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

mozerd to mattmag

MVM

to mattmag

Re: WNR2000--Something better for high speeds?

The Netgear WNDR4500 is a superb wireless router.

If your wireless clients are capable the WNDR4500 will provide excellent bandwidth. The Key is your wireless clients capability to communicate effectively.

Find out which technology your wireless clients are using --- for example are they a, b, G, N.

b clients will slow your wireless network down dramatically for everyone.
a clients will typically provide 15/30 Mbps
G clients will be between 15/35 Mbps
N clients will be between 25/80 Mbps depending on the number of streams they provide and how compliant they may be -- N clients are not typically equal so it depends on which technology is supported and how the technology has been implemented.

Placement of the wireless router plays a HUGE role on performance regardless of which technology is being utilized.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Thanks much for the very informative post. What I am not sure is exactly what clients I have here. I will try and figure them all out, and see if I can stop using the b-mode which I believe I do have it set to now.

I have a mix of iPods, xBox, Wii, and about 6 notebook computers. Hopefully none of them depend on "b".
mattmag

1 recommendation

mattmag to mozerd

to mozerd

Thanks for the support---seems like I really won't have to buy a new router, the WNR2000 is doing great once I figured out how to set it!!

I changed the "mode" setting, which is quite generic, from "Up to 145Mbps" which according to the directions, was the "default setting" and would "allow all 11b and 11g and 11n wireless stations", to "Up to 300Mbps". It also notes "up to 145" is the "Neighbor Friendly Mode", so I am guessing it has also increased its transmit power now?

Its flying right along now, speeds in the 15-18Mbps range which is outstanding. Before, the downloads were choppy, and had many hesitations, which are all completely gone now. I'm amazed, actually, that it made such a difference!

I think the "help" page could use some help itself, and explain things the way mozerd See Profile did, which made it obvious that the ability to support "b" devices would negatively impact everything else. I never would have known that before, as I surely thought "up to 145" would be plenty!

Thanks again!