norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

pci-e power cables, 90 deg

I didn't think this would be a hard one:
A mate's project - he would like to tidy up cabling while adding water-cooling.

Does anyone know anywhere world wide that sells 90 deg power cables to help avoid looping of the power cables to the graphics cards. There is 2 in crossfire and he has a modular supply from Cooler Master but will be happy with extensions if that is all he can obtain.

Any ideas where?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I didn't see any 90 degree PSU cables at first glance, but if anyone has them, it will be FrozenCPU--check out their cables section for aftermarket cables and extenders:

»www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1 ··· les.html

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks - had a good look but found nothing, even the power connectors that you wire up yourself do not show a 90 deg plug.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

A quick google search shows it has been often asked for on Overclockers, but there doesn't seem to be a solution out there. Sorry.

Edit: If you are feeling adventurous, you could attach this directly to the PCB on the mobo: »www.frozencpu.com/produc ··· 79#blank

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I wasn't expecting this to be a hard question to answer either, but I've had a good look for him and I know he has been looking for some time. Maybe someone in manufacturing may come along with an answer.

Ah, bushman's mechanics to the rescue, modify/make your own - it maybe his only option at this rate.

They are 8-pin graphics cards too. The machine will be a beast when complete.
norwegian

norwegian to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

A quick google search shows it has been often asked for on Overclockers, but there doesn't seem to be a solution out there. Sorry.

Funny thing is I came across a agp card with a 4-pin plug in the same spot on the side, I thought most until recently were end of card connectors. So we have had 4-pin and now pci-e and still no 90 deg plug ends!

Even a 90 deg adapter?
norwegian

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

Has anyone heard of these?

I was going to start a poll, simple thing really.

Guess it would be easier to solder and be done with it.....just warranty....!?!

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

3 edits

1 recommendation

FizzyMyNizzy to norwegian

to norwegian
??? are you talking about those?

6-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E 90 Degree right angle Extension

»www.ecrater.com/p/573799 ··· e?gps=1#

Convert 2 HDD 4-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E Short right angle

»www.ecrater.com/p/573832 ··· t?gps=1#

Convert 6-Pin to 8-Pin PCI-E 2.0 90 Degree power cable

»www.ecrater.com/p/573797 ··· r?gps=1#

===

I dont see any that's right angle molex.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

4 edits

norwegian

Premium Member

That's almost a start, you are on the right path, however 2 x 7970's require 2 x (2 x 8-pin) from memory.

Edit: the third one you posted seems the only one found close.

This almost looked promising:
»www.ecrater.com/filter.p ··· &srn=119

That was from a 128 page cross check on "cables" - anyone want to continue the search?

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

said by norwegian:

That's almost a start, you are on the right path, however 2 x 7970's require 2 x (2 x 8-pin) from memory.

Edit: the third one you posted seems the only one found close.

This almost looked promising:
»www.ecrater.com/filter.p ··· &srn=119

That was from a 128 page cross check on "cables" - anyone want to continue the search?

good luck. =D

CovMac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA

CovMac to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
How about this one:

»www.ecrater.com/p/573799 ··· n+cables

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

2 edits

FizzyMyNizzy

said by CovMac:

How about this one:

»www.ecrater.com/p/573799 ··· n+cables

That one is for the mainboard.

I think he want like a molex type for the gpu.

GPU pci-e power to molex 90 deg adapter to power cable.. I think thats what he wants.. shrug.

========

Yes the HD 7970 use 8pin.. Shouldn't you be getting 2 cables?.. because 8pin split to 2x8pin.. The rail on the PSU might not support that much power.. shrug..
For CF just get 4..

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

The power supply is a 1000w or more from memory, Cooler Master. Which ever it is, I'm guessing it will have 4 x pcie plugs....It would be great if you could find a cable long enough that plugs into the psu straight to the gpu.

Instead of the standard power cable the 90 deg tail is what we are hunting to help tidy up the wiring. I'll see if I can source a picture.
norwegian

norwegian to FizzyMyNizzy

Premium Member

to FizzyMyNizzy
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

good luck. =D

Up to 250 page search.
norwegian

norwegian to FizzyMyNizzy

Premium Member

to FizzyMyNizzy
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

GPU pci-e power to molex 90 deg adapter to power cable.. I think thats what he wants.. shrug.

========

Yes the HD 7970 use 8pin.. Shouldn't you be getting 2 cables?.. because 8pin split to 2x8pin.. The rail on the PSU might not support that much power.. shrug..
For CF just get 4..

4 x long cables with 2 x male 8-pin PCIe connectors, 1 straight, 1 x 90 deg is what would be ideal for the project.
norwegian

norwegian

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is the project, and as you can see, a set of solid 90 deg bends would be just fine out of the graphics cards. Sorry, it is a 1200 watt psu too.

By the way, any hints to improve it all to be functional and look tidy wouldn't go astray. There is more gear fitted by now, this was the first fitting of the liquid cooling and more was to be fitted.
norwegian

norwegian

Premium Member

Looking at the psu it only has 2 x plug outlets.
Seems strange to see smaller selections with 4 and the top of the line with 2. That means splitting as well as. 4 x single cables won't work....