spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cellophane

@insightbb.com

[Connectivity] Modem provisioning issues - Louisville

I've had the same issue pop up twice now in the last couple months. Prior to this I've had the same modem (SB 6120) for several years with no issues whatsoever.

Around August I got home and wasn't able to connect to the web. I called Insight and they said that the modem was stuck at provisioning and was not getting an IP. They sent out a tech who did the basic steps and came to the conclusion that my modem was bad. He was able to hook up a modem he had with him and connect with no issues. After this I bought a new modem (SB 6141) and set it up. Same issue. After ages on the phone the CSR tried bumping my service up from 10mb to 50mb and the modem synced up almost instantly. We then worked backwards and found that 30mb was the cutoff. At this point they sent out an Insight tech to test the lines. After testing everything he said that signal levels were nearly perfect and there wasn't any obvious reason for the issue. Call back a third time and we come to the conclusion that the only solution is to set my service at 30mb. Begrudgingly did this and it worked fine up until this week.

This week I again was not able to connect. Call Insight again and it is stuck at provisioning. We tried the usual gamut of power cycling the modem and PC, going through the router and connecting directly to my PC and laptop as well as trying the increase in speed which did not work this time. After escalating the request to a manager and special services (usage violation guys?) they still had no answer and a tech is again scheduled.

At this point I don't see why two different modems would work fine and randomly quit obtaining an IP. To me that says the issue is on Insight's end of things but I am far from an expert on it.

Any thoughts or help would be most appreciated.

InsightTech5
Premium
join:2006-11-30
Louisville, KY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Hi, I work for Insight Communications in the technical support center. I have read your post and would like to help; however, because you are an anonymous user I am unable to private message you. If you would like help with your issue please send us a message or you can contact us through your local office or enter our online chat at: »helpchat.insightbb.com/netagent/···ion=1000. We are very sorry that you are experiencing problems with your service and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Insight Broadband Technical Support

cellophane

join:2012-10-25
Louisville, KY
Thanks. I'm registered now. Your link to the help chat cut off as well.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast
Try this: »helpchat.insightbb.com/netagent/···ion=1000

...and welcome to DSLReports.com & the Insight forum

cellophane

join:2012-10-25
Louisville, KY
Thanks

I talked to a rep online last night and still had no luck. The only thing he could think of is that the Insight provided modems have different (custom?) firmware that allows them to sync. I don't really see how an off-the-shelf modem wouldn't be able to though, especially when it was working fine a few days ago.

Singular
Premium
join:2008-08-13
Shelbyville, KY
kudos:2
said by cellophane:

Thanks

I talked to a rep online last night and still had no luck. The only thing he could think of is that the Insight provided modems have different (custom?) firmware that allows them to sync. I don't really see how an off-the-shelf modem wouldn't be able to though, especially when it was working fine a few days ago.

DOCSIS is a standard and every DOCSIS device should adhere to that standard which means they should all be compatible.

That being said it sounds to me more like a network or line quality issue.

Can you go to your modem's configuration page, most likely at 192.168.100.1 and post the SNR, Upstream and Downstream values from the modem? That will help me determine if it is a line quality issue.
--
-Singular