uniqs
share rss forum feed

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to trparky

Re: [WIN7] No Service Pack 2

For the SMB sector that doesn't buy PCs in bulk and/or doesn't use images, the issue here is the time/cost associated with patching up 'new' PCs. With the service packs, the OEMs roll them into the builds and that saves a bunch of time for the end user.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by lorennerol:

For the SMB sector that doesn't buy PCs in bulk and/or doesn't use images, the issue here is the time/cost associated with patching up 'new' PCs. With the service packs, the OEMs roll them into the builds and that saves a bunch of time for the end user.

Good point. Think about millions and millions of computer hours they could save, if they provide service pack, that consolidates all of those updates.

And here is one more thing that should be mentioned here. From my experience when I install new OS from the scratch, there is a big difference between computer, that was updated using those multiple updates one-by-one and computer, which has installed OS with already integrated service pack. That's why I always made (or looking for) installation media with integrated service packs. It was easy to do with WXP (slipstreaming, remember?). And I think it would benefit greatly everyone, if with W7 they did the same...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
reply to lorennerol

MS WSUS 3.0 can help speed up windows updates. It downloads them from the Internet and then pushes them out to the PCs.

It is free and can run on a PC if need be (vs server).

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

There's many tools out there in addition to WSUS that do this as well. Granted, most cost money, but given the MS option that is free, it doesn't have to be as big of a deal as people may try and make it.