Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gwm
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Irvine, CA

[CA] Service Change

I'm located in Irvine in OC. I just noted this am that my connection has been changed from 4 channels down/ 1 up to 8 channels down/2 up. I have Premier service which, for my market was specified as 25/31 down and 2/3 up. Using the Cox speed check, I achieved this most of the time. Noted this morning that the speed check indicated 30.3 down and 6.7 up. I suppose that either they didn't provision the upstream correctly or that they have increased it to 5 which I think is what it is in most markets.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well being as there is more downstream channel's available to you, it's possible it is causing your upload to powerboost a little more. But there are many things it could be, as you could be on a less crowded upstream channel with more bandwidth available. Reason for the higher powerboost your seeing on speedtest results. Also just because your seeing faster speeds on speedtest results, doesn't mean your getting actual faster speeds.

burner226

join:2006-08-19
Irvine, CA
reply to gwm

said by gwm:

I'm located in Irvine in OC. I just noted this am that my connection has been changed from 4 channels down/ 1 up to 8 channels down/2 up.

Could you tell me what zip you're in?

I'm in 92606 (Warner/Paseo Westpark) getting 4 down/1 up, and am wondering if I should upgrade my modem.

gwm
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Irvine, CA

92612, University Park. I would guess that even if you don't have an 8/2 connection now you will have one soon.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to gwm

I'm in Nellie Gail (92883) we're still on 3 down 1 up.

bspencer

join:2012-10-17
Foothill Ranch, CA
reply to gwm

4 Down / 2 Up in 92610 using DOCSIS 3.0.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

said by bspencer:

4 Down / 2 Up in 92610 using DOCSIS 3.0.

But it depends on the brand and model of the modem you have. You may have DOCSIS 3.0 but your modem may only support 4 down and 4 up. Most newer modems are 8 down and 4 up.

(edit for fat fingering the num pad )

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

original docisis 3.0 cable modem can support up to 4x4, not 4x2. since the upsteam channels are limited to four channels that due lower band frequency that called sub channel band.

yes, a newer cable modems can do 8x4, again notice this 4 sub channels still there. it is very limited sub frequencies about 5Mhz to 50Mhz around.

I am looking forward the docsis 3.1 as i'm skipping the 8x4 modem.

burner226

join:2006-08-19
Irvine, CA
reply to burner226

said by burner226:

said by gwm:

I'm located in Irvine in OC. I just noted this am that my connection has been changed from 4 channels down/ 1 up to 8 channels down/2 up.

Could you tell me what zip you're in?

I'm in 92606 (Warner/Paseo Westpark) getting 4 down/1 up, and am wondering if I should upgrade my modem.

An update...I bought a Cisco DPC3010 modem and am now getting 8 down/4 up.

A word of advice to those of you shopping for a new modem in south OC...don't buy a Zoom. I bought a 5341J from Best Buy, hooked it up, got it registered...and it kept resetting every 2 minutes. Techs came out and told me there's a problem with Zoom modems and the local Cox system.

So if you're in Orange County, stick with either Motorola or Cisco.