Click for full size
Microsoft Store by Digital River
Click for full size
Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows
Click for full size
Microsoft TechNet - Windows 8 Upgrade Paths
***BEFORE YOU BUY:
»www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· Pro#tab2
( CONTACT US @ »www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· ntact_Us )

Transferring settings, apps, and files
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ection_4

Windows 8 Upgrade Paths
»technet.microsoft.com/li ··· 353.aspx
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

1 edit

Glen T

Re: ***BEFORE YOU BUY

This bit me. Why the **** did MS allow Win7 Home Basic and Win7 Home Premium upgrades to Win8, to move installed programs to Win8 automatically, but not from Win7 Pro?? In my case, upgrading from Vista Pro to Win8 Pro, it moved all the files in Program Files but didn't move any of the registry entries. So not only did I have to reinstall everything, I also had to clean up all the old program files first.

This appears to be the exact opposite of what I would have expected.

joepwpb
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit

joepwpb to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing

Re: [Info] Microsoft Store Online: Windows 8

I discovered conflicting statements regarding Upgrading. The first page »www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· Pro#tab3

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8. If your PC is running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.

The second page »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· PP_Light

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. Check out our great lineup of new PCs, many of them are touch.

So, does anyone know for sure which is accurate?

Joe P

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T

Show stopper for me! I have Win7 Ultimate and do not want to reinstall everything. I will wait until I get a new computer for Win8 Pro.
Expand your moderator at work
Glen T
BC

Glen T to joepwpb

to joepwpb

I only know for a fact that, despite a relatively painless install, my installed programs were not functional after Win8 Pro installation, even though the program files still remained in place. The registry appeared to have been purged and there were no shortcuts on the desktop.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to Gone Fishing

to Gone Fishing
just purchased my upgrade for laptop

one thing you can do is if you dont like Metro-UI install stardock win8 start , you get 30 days trial (5$ after it)

btw I paid 16$ with the promotion for new computers.

Subtotal $39.99
Promotion BB-XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX ($25.00)
Tax $1.33
Total $16.32

Stardock:
»www.stardock.com/product ··· /start8/

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to joepwpb

MVM

to joepwpb
said by joepwpb:

I discovered conflicting statements regarding Upgrading. The first page »www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· Pro#tab3

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8. If your PC is running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. Check out our great lineup of new PCs, many of them are touch.

Joe P

FWIW I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro on my HP G60 laptop and did not have any issues with previously installed programs not running afterwards...

The issue I had was booting and Windows 8 thinking I still had a second monitor connected even though it was not. As a result the main screen was black and I had to reconnect the second monitor in order to get to the login and change the display settings. Interestingly this happened about three days after the initial upgrade and not right away...

Beyond that I am getting to like Windows 8 although I will look at using Start8 to boot straight into the desktop since my wife uses this machine when we travel. Thanks to patt2K for the tip...

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit

joepwpb to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
In addition to those variables I posted here I also noticed another pitfall in the info the OP posted:

Important
If you choose to start your PC from removable media that you created when you downloaded windows 8 upgrade files, you won't be able to keep your apps, windows settings or personal files when you upgrade.

That statement really throws me a curve because I had planned on downloading the upgrade file and sit on it until it could be determined what the parameters were.

This is like navigating a mine field!!! I sure hope we can get this figured out because I am sitting this out for now.

Joe P

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
Start8 configuration screens
Click for full size
Root desktop
said by SoonerAl:

Beyond that I am getting to like Windows 8 although I will look at using Start8 to boot straight into the desktop since my wife uses this machine when we travel. Thanks to patt2K for the tip...

Just installed Start8...

So far it seems to work as advertised. See the screen shots for my Root (admin account) user. I am booting straight into the desktop.

Booting to the desktop also works as advertised for my account, ie. non-admin standard user...

Thanks to patt2K for the tip...

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD

jbgroup1 to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T

I think it refers to an upgrade from Window 7 professional versions to Windows 8 home versions which would be understandable. There's Windows 8 which is the home version and Windows 8 Pro of course the professional version.

edited for clarification
jbgroup1

jbgroup1 to joepwpb

Premium Member

to joepwpb

said by joepwpb:

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY

Joe P

Just to reiterate there two versions Win 8 and Win 8 Pro. The first section is for those who upgrade to Win 8 (the home version). The second section is for those who upgrade to Win 8 Pro.

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

Thanks jbgroup1...

Now lets try to figure out this one:

Important
If you choose to start your PC from removable media that you created when you downloaded windows 8 upgrade files, you won't be able to keep your apps, windows settings or personal files when you upgrade.

Joe P

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD

jbgroup1

Premium Member

Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that statement.

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

said by jbgroup1:

Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that statement.

Thanks...I'll continue to search for an answer which I believe will benefit all of us here.

Joe P

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to joepwpb

Premium Member

to joepwpb
I've just finished installing Win8 Pro after creating removable media (USB) from the $39.99 download link. After you click Setup on the USB stick, you have a choice a few screens later between an upgrade or clean install. The former, which I chose, lets you keep all your settings if you are upgrading from Win7 Home Premium.

Win8 is running well.
Glen T
BC

Glen T to joepwpb

to joepwpb
said by joepwpb:

Thanks jbgroup1...

Now lets try to figure out this one:

Important

OK, I downloaded Win8 Pro via our MAPS subscription. The download was an ISO DVD image, which I burned onto a DVD. I then ran the DVD Setup.exe from the Vista Pro desktop ( I did not boot from the Win8 DVD ). I was surprised that the install started immediately and did not require a reboot. Files were copied to the HD while Vista was still running.

I was not presented with any screen offering options of clean install vs. moving settings (that I recall) but I did not get a clean install. I got all of my personal files and settings moved over, along with non-functional program files in the Program Files folder that had no corresponding registry entries.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to Gone Fishing

Anon

to Gone Fishing
It appears Windows 8 Pro will boot directly to desktop.

I just installed it on my work PC (Clean install) LOVE IT!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 recommendation

EUS

Premium Member

I don't get it, a desktop O/S booting into a desktop session is reason for celebration?
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to RazzyW8

Premium Member

to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

Did you do anything to make it do that? Win 8 Pro always boots to Metro for me.
Glen T
BC

Glen T

said by Riamen:

said by RazzyW8 :

Did you do anything to make it do that? Win 8 Pro always boots to Metro for me.

The same with me. How did you do it?
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound to Gone Fishing

to Gone Fishing

Re: Classic Shell: Windows 8

From reading reviews Classic Shell free from SourceForge appears to offer more settings & options from Start8 and others that appear to be cost$ and do less. CS open source.
Review today for August CS at howtogeek.cxx
»classicshell.sourceforge ··· res.html

RW8
@rr.com

RW8 to Gone Fishing

Anon

to Gone Fishing

FALSE ALARM!

Not that I care if it's booting to desktop or not.

I installed it as clean install (booted from DVD) to a new hard drive. And I forgot the $39.99 key I entered is Upgrade only but it DID took my key during installation. And I was getting "Activation not found" message in System so I did an upgrade this time from a clean install of 8 and it's all back to "normal"

Sorry about that Didn't mean to get your hope up.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Gone Fishing

MVM

to Gone Fishing
Wow. The upgrade assistant says that just about nothing on my pc's are compatible. So.... once again, MS can bite me. And I guess I'll save my money.

And it ticks me that I have to get media center separate. Ok, it would have been a free download instead of paying right now. But really. If I would install win8, I wouldn't be able to play dvds. sigh.

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel to Gone Fishing

to Gone Fishing
I just wish I could download it. Compatibility says everything is good, everything is shut down on startup, antivirus uninstalled and every time the upgrade assistant gets to 100% I get the message that the download failed, access denied.

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit

joepwpb to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing

Upgrade Issues Summary

So far, here is a summary of the posts here regarding the Upgrade issue:

First, we have SoonerAl who upgraded from 7 Ultimate to PRO and “did not have any issues with previously installed programs not running afterwards”

Next we have digialfutur who was running 7 Home Premium and downloaded PRO to a USB stick, ran the Setup, got a choice of upgrade or clean install, chose upgrade, all settings were retained and “Win8 is running well"

Next we have Glen T who was running Vista and downloaded PRO ISO Image, ran Setup from the DVD while running Vista, did not get any options as to upgrade or clean install, did not require a reboot and got all personal files and settings “along with non-functional program files in the Program Files folder that had not corresponding registry entries”
EDIT: Glen clarified his experience to confirm that installing over Vista DOES NOT retain programs/apps.

Does anyone have anything to add to this? I'm hoping to sort this out so we can decided if we want to take the plunge considering what the net effects may be. For me there is no hurry but I do want to know what's in the water before I jump in !! I think I have an advantage in that I have a triple boot setup so I may have the option to pick what OS I want to trash.

Joe P
Glen T
BC

Glen T

I don't know if this is helpful, but I have extracted the Product Version number that I installed (MAPS distribution):

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

said by Glen T:

I don't know if this is helpful, but I have extracted the Product Version number that I installed (MAPS distribution):

Glen T,

Can you elaborate on your statement “along with non-functional program files in the Program Files folder that had not corresponding registry entries”

Joe P

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim to Gone Fishing

MVM

to Gone Fishing

I'm curious if anyone has tried unpacking the Pro .iso to say the D drive and run setup .. for an upgrade install from within windows .. and kept all functional existing win 7 program files ?