share rss forum feed

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to RazzyW8

Re: [Info] Microsoft Store Online: Windows 8

said by RazzyW8 :

It appears Windows 8 Pro will boot directly to desktop.

Did you do anything to make it do that? Win 8 Pro always boots to Metro for me.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
said by Riamen:

said by RazzyW8 :

It appears Windows 8 Pro will boot directly to desktop.

Did you do anything to make it do that? Win 8 Pro always boots to Metro for me.

The same with me. How did you do it?

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY
reply to Gone Fishing

Re: Classic Shell: Windows 8

From reading reviews Classic Shell free from SourceForge appears to offer more settings & options from Start8 and others that appear to be cost$ and do less. CS open source.
Review today for August CS at howtogeek.cxx
»classicshell.sourceforge.net/features.html

RW8

@rr.com
reply to Gone Fishing

FALSE ALARM!

Not that I care if it's booting to desktop or not.

I installed it as clean install (booted from DVD) to a new hard drive. And I forgot the $39.99 key I entered is Upgrade only but it DID took my key during installation. And I was getting "Activation not found" message in System so I did an upgrade this time from a clean install of 8 and it's all back to "normal"

Sorry about that Didn't mean to get your hope up.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Gone Fishing
Wow. The upgrade assistant says that just about nothing on my pc's are compatible. So.... once again, MS can bite me. And I guess I'll save my money.

And it ticks me that I have to get media center separate. Ok, it would have been a free download instead of paying right now. But really. If I would install win8, I wouldn't be able to play dvds. sigh.

Tel

join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC
reply to Gone Fishing
I just wish I could download it. Compatibility says everything is good, everything is shut down on startup, antivirus uninstalled and every time the upgrade assistant gets to 100% I get the message that the download failed, access denied.

joepwpb
Premium
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing

Upgrade Issues Summary

So far, here is a summary of the posts here regarding the Upgrade issue:

First, we have SoonerAl who upgraded from 7 Ultimate to PRO and “did not have any issues with previously installed programs not running afterwards”

Next we have digialfutur who was running 7 Home Premium and downloaded PRO to a USB stick, ran the Setup, got a choice of upgrade or clean install, chose upgrade, all settings were retained and “Win8 is running well"

Next we have Glen T who was running Vista and downloaded PRO ISO Image, ran Setup from the DVD while running Vista, did not get any options as to upgrade or clean install, did not require a reboot and got all personal files and settings “along with non-functional program files in the Program Files folder that had not corresponding registry entries”
EDIT: Glen clarified his experience to confirm that installing over Vista DOES NOT retain programs/apps.

Does anyone have anything to add to this? I'm hoping to sort this out so we can decided if we want to take the plunge considering what the net effects may be. For me there is no hurry but I do want to know what's in the water before I jump in !! I think I have an advantage in that I have a triple boot setup so I may have the option to pick what OS I want to trash.

Joe P

Glen T

BC
I don't know if this is helpful, but I have extracted the Product Version number that I installed (MAPS distribution):

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
said by Glen T:

I don't know if this is helpful, but I have extracted the Product Version number that I installed (MAPS distribution):

Glen T,

Can you elaborate on your statement “along with non-functional program files in the Program Files folder that had not corresponding registry entries”

Joe P

sekim
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Gone Fishing

I'm curious if anyone has tried unpacking the Pro .iso to say the D drive and run setup .. for an upgrade install from within windows .. and kept all functional existing win 7 program files ?

Glen T

BC
reply to joepwpb

Re: Upgrade Issues Summary

Program files for installed Windows software still existed in the Program Files folder for the Windows software that had been installed under Vista, but there were no corresponding registry entries for those installed programs and no record of them having been installed in the upgraded Win8 environment. I had to remove folders from Program Files and reinstall.

Since this was a test computer that I had been using to test installers for our own software (that was the purpose of setting up this machine with Win8) I knew exactly what had been installed of our stuff and what I expected to find after the upgrade, but none of our stuff was functional.

Glen T

BC
reply to sekim

said by sekim:

I'm curious if anyone has tried unpacking the Pro .iso to say the D drive and run setup .. for an upgrade install from within windows .. and kept all functional existing win 7 program files ?

That's essentially what I did, except that Drive D: was a DVD drive. I didn't boot from it. I ran the install from within Vista.

I don't see how running it from removable media could make any difference, but....

sekim
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
Vista upgrade won't transfer the programs.. not functional working programs anyhow. Win7 pro upgrade is what I'm curious.

Guess its not a big deal, I wanted to try to retain the programs with the upgrade and have the pro iso too. I assume the iso will be online to grab all over the net soon.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
reply to Gone Fishing
Sorry - I started a thread, and this may have been the place to ask - This talks about "upgrade." If one has a PC with no OS, for whatever reason, where is the "full install" version option?

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to Gone Fishing
I have a disability that makes reading a computer screen a bit more of a challenge then it should be. Today is an especially bad day for whatever reason so the answer to what I'm about to ask may have all ready be answered. If so my apologies.

I have an OEM Genuine Copy of Windows Home Premium. The fact that it is an OEM---is that a problem.

In the past on some MS Windows updates and MSE updates I gotten a warning that my windows isn't genuine. (It is though, really.) I the simply have to fiddle with a couple of steps that MS offers me and it resolves itself.

It would be a very unhappy experience to find out that whatever caused that problem would at the end of downloading Windows 8 that the bird wouldn't get off the ground!

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to sekim
said by sekim:

Vista upgrade won't transfer the programs.. not functional working programs anyhow. Win7 pro upgrade is what I'm curious.

Guess its not a big deal, I wanted to try to retain the programs with the upgrade and have the pro iso too. I assume the iso will be online to grab all over the net soon.

From what MS posted, upgrading from Win 7 Pro will not retain the Programs only from Home Basic or Home Premium. Hopefully we'll get that clarified soon.

Joe P

chandom

join:2001-05-23
Tallahassee, FL
Per Microsoft Technet: »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr···353.aspx
quote:
Edition Upgrades

This section describes the operating system editions from which you can upgrade to editions of Windows 8.
Upgrade to Windows 8

You can upgrade to Windows 8 and keep Windows settings, personal files, and applications from the following Windows operating system editions:

Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro

You can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and keep Windows settings, personal files, and applications from the following Windows operating system editions:

Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate

Upgrade to Windows Enterprise (Volume License)

You can upgrade to Windows 8 Enterprise (Volume License) from the following operating system editions:

Windows 7 Professional (Volume License)
Windows 7 Enterprise (Volume License)
Windows 8 (Volume License)

Wikipedia also has a nice chart showing Windows 7 to 8 in place upgrade paths.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_···tibility

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
Great find chandom !!

That info conflicts with what is posted at the Microsoft Store.

I think we are getting closer to the real story which most likely will be verified with the posting of actual experiences.

Joe P

chandom

join:2001-05-23
Tallahassee, FL
reply to joepwpb
Also, it looks like the product page has changed since the first post.

»www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···Pro#tab2
Now states:
quote:
Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. To check compatibility, visit your PC manufacturer’s website and check out www.windows.com/upgrade to run the Upgrade Assistant to check for compatibility and get more details on system requirements.

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
You're correct, they did change the product page dramatically. The second post in this thread shows the original wording (it is the section shaded in Red) which states that only 7 Basic and Premium retain the programs.

Joe P

Glen T

BC
The upgrade 'with applications' rules appear to be a bit arbitrary. Dare I say, punitive?