uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to cowboyro

to cowboyro

Re: Generator Time!!!

said by cowboyro:

I'd venture to guess that for most people there would be an electrician involved. Labor is expen$ive. Installing an interlock takes 30min total. Moving circuits from the panel to the transfer panel can be a surprise if the wires are too short.

I admit that you're right.

I required a LOT of hand holding from Whizkid when I installed my transfer switch. I did also have issues with wires being too short to move certain circuits (Situation easily remedied by Whizkid's solutions as well).

I feel it would be a piece of cake to do it again, but it isn't simple to do it the first time.
said by dosdoxies:

In my case, I went with a Square D generator panel as I was out of spaces in my main panel and I was able to gain 6 spaces by giving up 2 in the main panel. This was cheaper and easier than changing the main panel. The circuits in my genny panel are heater (oil furnace), sump pump, freezer and refrigerator, kitchen (for microwave and coffer maker), and general lighting.

You should have went for a bigger transfer switch if you wanted more circuit space

What does the big red button do? I wanna touch it.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

You should have went for a bigger transfer switch if you wanted more circuit space

What does the big red button do? I wanna touch it.

What part don't you understand? I only needed a few more spaces so I gave up two in my main panel and gained 6 in the genny panel.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by dosdoxies:

What part don't you understand? I only needed a few more spaces so I gave up two in my main panel and gained 6 in the genny panel.

Just saying...
Depending of the cost of a bigger panel, the extra space might become useful a few years down the line.

So what's the button for?

dosdoxies
Premium Member
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by dosdoxies:

Just saying...
Depending of the cost of a bigger panel, the extra space might become useful a few years down the line.

So what's the button for?

That's not a button. It's just a piece of red tape to denote that the breaker is utility fed. As far as the cost of the panel, I picked it up off ebay for like $30 new with the two main breakers in it.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by dosdoxies:

That's not a button. It's just a piece of red tape to denote that the breaker is utility fed. As far as the cost of the panel, I picked it up off ebay for like $30 new with the two main breakers in it.

No no, not the tape, that red lighted circle at the bottom of the imagine... well, maybe it's just a red status light.

As for the transfer switch, okay for 30$ you can't go wrong.
said by ptrowski:

Thanks, was reading up on them in the meantime. I went to The Depot and was able to get the generator I linked to, transfe switches etc were all sold out.

Go to other hardware stores, you'll find one. I doubt those fly off the shelf as fast as generators. People buy generators before a storm, not knowing that a transfer switch would help.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by dosdoxies:

No no, not the tape, that red lighted circle at the bottom of the imagine... well, maybe it's just a red status light.

As for the transfer switch, okay for 30$ you can't go wrong.

That's a little neon light plugged into the receptacle for the sump pump. I can just glance over and make sure that the breaker for the pump is still on and hasn't tripped. I have one on my freezer receptacle as well.