spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AZConfused

join:2012-06-17

[AZ] Slow Internet & Streaming, yet Fast Download?

Ok, so I'm really confused here.

In the last week, maybe two, I've noticed that my internet is rather sluggish on websites. Sometimes they'll load right away, other times they hang and hang. Then I noticed that streaming stuff off youtube and other such sites wasn't working so well. The video will start to play, and then hit a hiccup and hang/buffer. This will happen anywhere from a couple times a video, to every 10 seconds. It's getting very annoying. At first I thought it was just the website I was visiting, but then I noticced that it is happening on any of the video streaming sites I go to(even cnn.com).

The really odd thing, though, is that when I test my download speed, it is as fast as ever. If I go to a website where there is an option to either stream or download the video, downloading whizzes right by, while streaming doesn't. If I test my download speed using an ftp connection, it also is very, very fast.

Any ideas on what could cause a slow internet experience(browsing/streaming video) yet leave my actual download speed intact? I feel stupid even asking, but I figure there's more to the internet than I know about, so maybe there's something I could check?

Not sure if these levels are helpful, but here they are from the modem (Cisco DPQ3212):
Downstream Channels

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 0.6 dBmV 38.5 dB
Channel 2: 0.8 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 3: 0.6 dBmV 38.8 dB
Channel 4: 1.1 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 5: 0.9 dBmV 38.3 dB
Channel 6: 0.5 dBmV 37.9 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1: 40.2 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 40.9 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

check firewall settings, also make sure flash,java and video card drivers are up to date

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well a little odd seeing a channel gap between the two upstream channel's. But hearing your complaints as of recent. You may want to try using some different DNS servers, if your using the ones provided by cox. There is Opendns, google dns, and others. Your problem sounds like it may be dns server related.

AZConfused

reply to m8trix

Hi m8trix, all of my software and hardware is up to date as far as drivers/most recent versions. Originally I suspected some type of malware infection or something, but my computer reads clear by all the software I've run it through. This issue only happens when I'm at home, not at other places(like work, where I use the same laptop I use at home). It's just odd

AZConfused

reply to lilstone87

lilstone87: Ah, good advice, I will give that a try. I've not changed dns servers, so I am using the cox ones. I'll give open or google a try, and see if it gets better! Thanks

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to AZConfused

You might want to try the Line Quality test here: »/pingtest

You'll need to allow incoming requests on your router for it to work. It could be an issue where getting stuff from you is problematic which causes delays in getting the next item from them (like in streaming).

How are your upload speed tests?

AZConfused

MarkRH, upload speeds are pretty good. This test I just ran as I got home at 5pm local time(well a few minutes before five) which is usually when I get a little slow down as people get home.

I've changed my dns settings per lilstone87's suggestion. Will report back on if it works

AZConfused

reply to AZConfused

Well, it's only been a couple of hours, but...so far so good. Looks like the dns change has helped. I suppose I'll know for sure if it's fixed after the weekend, when I have more time to test it

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by AZConfused:

Well, it's only been a couple of hours, but...so far so good. Looks like the dns change has helped. I suppose I'll know for sure if it's fixed after the weekend, when I have more time to test it

Well cox's dns servers are known to be problematic at times, and often signs of dns server trouble is webpages hanging up, and loading slow. Also have seen dns servers affect streaming, which really it shouldn't but does happen. This is always something to keep in mind, when speeds are fine, but you are seeing the kind of trouble you described.

This is the steps I take, when I see problems like this. First I check speeds to see if that could be a sign of the problem. If speeds are fine, Secondly I will check modem log for errors pointing to a problem. Then when that's not a problem, it's finally time to check out changing the dns servers, to see if it is indeed the problem.

AZConfused

Well, after a weekend and a day, I'd say that switching dns servers has definitely helped. I still had some slow down issues, but they were far, far less than before.

I also found out something weird. During one of the slow down times, I queued up an ftp file to test my download speed. As soon as I had a file going, the rest of my internet went along super fast. When the file stopped transferring, it slowed back down again. So I queued up another file, and restricted the download speed to 200K so that it wouldn't finish in under an hour. And for that entire hour the rest of my internet was blazing fast. I paused the transfer, and internet slowed again. I unpaused the file transfer, and internet fast.

I've no idea why having some file downloading in the background would make the rest of the internet go faster, but it certainly did.

AZConfused

reply to AZConfused

So apparently there was a crew in my alley today. They had to do something with a wire/cable/whatever form a telephone pole to the box that my cable comes from.

Since they've been done....I've had no slow down issues. I wonder if whatever they changed was causing the issue.

I have 3 upstream channels now instead of teh 2 I had before.

MarkRH
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to AZConfused

Sometimes it still seems that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic..

Reminds me of the time I had to keep moving my mouse over a video window to keep it from messing up.

Hopefully is stays working better.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to AZConfused

said by AZConfused:

lilstone87: Ah, good advice, I will give that a try. I've not changed dns servers, so I am using the cox ones. I'll give open or google a try, and see if it gets better! Thanks

for clean dns[no opendns redirects] use 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to MarkRH

said by MarkRH:

Sometimes it still seems that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic..

Reminds me of the time I had to keep moving my mouse over a video window to keep it from messing up.

that would be a flash issue. ive had that happen too.
--
Despises any post with strings.

MarkRH
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK

said by dvd536:

said by MarkRH:

that would be a flash issue. ive had that happen too.

Yeah, that was a number of years ago. Different OS, Hardware, Versions of everything. Had to do it to keep the video transferring to me or it would buffer. It was weird. Never happened on my current system.