sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

ethanol & older vehicle concerns

I'm going to be looking soon to replace my old friend, a '93 Nissan Maxima with newer wheels. I'm kinda partial to Asian makes. Am also on a limited budget.

Having read an Australian government report (»www.fcai.com.au/environment/can-···-petrol-) on make/model/year compatibility and seen it supported on a couple auto-centric US sites, it looks to me like it'll have to be a 2004-or-newer choice, depending on make/model, which of course will be more expensive than a slightly older model.

Besides the risk of going over-budget, my question is what, if any, after-market treatments would you suggest if I'm unable to hit the target date on my prospective vehicle to avoid mucking up the engine and/or fuel system?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

Why Australian data? Do you live there now or LA? I am thinking perhaps the Australian data may be in regards to vehicles built to be sold in that market, which may not accurately reflect what is available here in the US for the same automaker. I am quite sure that older Nissans than 2004 are capable of running E10.

Of course, E85 is a much more specific fuel, and the vehicle must be expressly compatible with that, no matter where you are.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

I guess I settled for the first official-looking, seemingly authentic listing of various makes/models that wasn't an obvious advertisement. Didn't want to have to rely on anything the petroleum companies dished out.

According to the DOE site I just visited, all vehicles manufactured since 1978 can run on E10 so it must have been an Aussie-specific list of vehicles on the link originally provided. Why info like that isn't in a Google Top 10 of hits is beyond me.

Presumably, vehicles manufactured between the late 90's to mid 2000's are all capable of running E10.

thanks, mattmag See Profile.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

You're welcome. and yes, you are correct on US models beginning in the late 90's.

said by sfogliatelle:

Why info like that isn't in a Google Top 10 of hits is beyond me.

That's easy. They have to pay to get in those spots.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to sfogliatelle

What does your owner's manual say about fuel requirements?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

said by Bob4:

What does your owner's manual say about fuel requirements?

Since he hasn't bought the vehicle yet, that would be a bit difficult to do.