share rss forum feed

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to alkizmo

Re: Generator Time!!!

said by alkizmo:

You should have went for a bigger transfer switch if you wanted more circuit space

What does the big red button do? I wanna touch it.

What part don't you understand? I only needed a few more spaces so I gave up two in my main panel and gained 6 in the genny panel.
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

said by dosdoxies:

What part don't you understand? I only needed a few more spaces so I gave up two in my main panel and gained 6 in the genny panel.

Just saying...
Depending of the cost of a bigger panel, the extra space might become useful a few years down the line.

So what's the button for?

dosdoxies
Premium
Wallingford, PA

said by alkizmo:

said by dosdoxies:

Just saying...
Depending of the cost of a bigger panel, the extra space might become useful a few years down the line.

So what's the button for?

That's not a button. It's just a piece of red tape to denote that the breaker is utility fed. As far as the cost of the panel, I picked it up off ebay for like $30 new with the two main breakers in it.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

said by dosdoxies:

That's not a button. It's just a piece of red tape to denote that the breaker is utility fed. As far as the cost of the panel, I picked it up off ebay for like $30 new with the two main breakers in it.

No no, not the tape, that red lighted circle at the bottom of the imagine... well, maybe it's just a red status light.

As for the transfer switch, okay for 30$ you can't go wrong.

said by ptrowski:

Thanks, was reading up on them in the meantime. I went to The Depot and was able to get the generator I linked to, transfe switches etc were all sold out.

Go to other hardware stores, you'll find one. I doubt those fly off the shelf as fast as generators. People buy generators before a storm, not knowing that a transfer switch would help.

dosdoxies
Premium
Wallingford, PA

said by alkizmo:

said by dosdoxies:

No no, not the tape, that red lighted circle at the bottom of the imagine... well, maybe it's just a red status light.

As for the transfer switch, okay for 30$ you can't go wrong.

That's a little neon light plugged into the receptacle for the sump pump. I can just glance over and make sure that the breaker for the pump is still on and hasn't tripped. I have one on my freezer receptacle as well.
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.