how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

p27522

@comcast.net

[Signals] Check out my signal

Click for full size
I think these look pretty good. This is after Comcast installed a new RG11 drop from the street. Previously with RG6, Down was around -12 and Up was +52. I am OCD though and would like to get that Downstream to zero. I have shortened cables wherever possible, but I think this is as good as I'm going to get.

Does anyone know what "codewords" are? I have zero correctable but a few hundred uncorrectables.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Those signals look terrific. The uncorrectables are probably ok. Are you having problems at this point? If not, I'd ignore the uncorrectables unless they are growing at an alarming rate or in big bursts.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to p27522

When the Motorola SB series makes a connection, it will log a bunch of uncorrectable errors during the synchronization. 1000-2000 is not unusual and you'll see it as soon as you can get at the menus. Just keep an eye on it and see if they start to increase much.

Otherwise, your signals are perfect. I wouldn't worry about trying to get the downstream to 0. It will fluctuate a bit with the weather and other issues. With 37dB SNR, you are excellent. Your upstream is also very good, although that may not prevent T4 timeouts on the middle channel due to some weird bug that seems to happen.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to p27522

Wish my DS was all similar levels like that :P

I have a DPC3008 with a 9db forward path attenuator to get them down to this... Grant it I am in FL and it gets hot and my run is about 70-80feet... I am on am amped ped that they can't lower levels on due to other peds so I get hot signal, thus the attenuator.

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 5.1 dBmV 41.2 dB
Channel 2: 5.4 dBmV 41.4 dB
Channel 3: 4.6 dBmV 41.4 dB
Channel 4: 4.3 dBmV 40.6 dB
Channel 5: 3.1 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 6: 2.4 dBmV 40.1 dB
Channel 7: 1.7 dBmV 39.5 dB
Channel 8: 0.9 dBmV 39.2 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1: 43.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 42.5 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

I would say your signals are good though. My DS SNR is always great lol though my upstream (not listed) is about 30

Medic4302

join:2012-10-14
Carmichael, CA
reply to p27522

Thanks for the info. Right now, (cold predawn morning) I have 37 across, 0 across and 46,45,46 on the up side. Quite happy with that.

Ps- I am the OP. couldn't remember my password so posted as guest. Thanks again.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to p27522

FWIW, there are other aspects of the signals / connection quality that can't be displayed by the modem.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by EG:

FWIW, there are other aspects of the signals / connection quality that can't be displayed by the modem.

Yep, uSNR for one. That's why I said unless he's having problems, or the uncorrected errors (after sync) spike or come in large numbers, he should be ok.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm