ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Jeffrey

Re: Generator Time!!!

Awesome, thanks Jeff. The reviews sounded great.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
said by ptrowski:

Awesome, thanks Jeff. The reviews sounded great.

You're welcome. I'm happy with it, works as designed, but not many hours on the ticker yet. Yamaha engine is nice - quiet enough. (I had it on in my backyard and I could hear it, but not that well, in my front yard.) With it on in the backyard and me in the front, it sounded like one of the landscaper crews running a lawn mower a few houses away; the noise is not an issue all things considered.

After Irene, even though I paid $1,000 for this a few months ago, nothing would thrill me more than not using the generator this time. I'd rather no storm.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by Jeffrey:

After Irene, even though I paid $1,000 for this a few months ago, nothing would thrill me more than not using the generator this time. I'd rather no storm.

Kinda like when I bought my first snow thrower, I was excited to get a lot of snow.

When the 2011-2012 winter turned out to be a flop, I contemplated on this: Those who paid for a snow removal service got very little for their money. On the other hand, my snow thrower got very little mileage, meaning it is going to last "longer".

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Jeffrey
What a mess so far. Wouldn't start, so luckily my neighbor does engine repair. It must have been sitting for a while as the gas broke down from when they started it at the factory. We have cleaned out the carb, filter, everything. Finally have it running, but it idles rough and you can see the throttle going back and forth. Of course there are no generators to be found to replace it with. 4 hours so far....
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by ptrowski:

What a mess so far. Wouldn't start, so luckily my neighbor does engine repair. It must have been sitting for a while as the gas broke down from when they started it at the factory. We have cleaned out the carb, filter, everything. Finally have it running, but it idles rough and you can see the throttle going back and forth. Of course there are no generators to be found to replace it with. 4 hours so far....

Check the gas line connection to the tank. My Honda has a filter in there if you unscrew the fitting from the tank. When it plugs the engine will hunt like you describe. Lack of fuel.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Of course there are no generators to be found to replace it with. 4 hours so far....

Put a heavy load on the generator and run it for a few hours while occasionally spray carb cleaner.

My generator was hunting out of the box.
I eventually got it to run stable by breaking it in by putting a heavy load on it (2x space heaters @ 1500W) for a couple of hours.