CRS 3
Click for full size
100Gbps!
I finally got around to upgrading my old linksys WRT54G
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

It would help if you actually posted something.
Thanks for nothing, now i'm going to have to get my network p0rn fix somewhere else

edit: ah, thats better!

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

Sorry about that! They uploaded sideways, so I deleted and re-uploaded to avoid any serious neck strain.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
Snippy snip snip and something major goes down. Probably cost a pretty penny.

cablegeek01
USA

cablegeek01

Click for full size
25KW? sure, why not.
Click for full size
A fair amount of 4GA cabling.
How do you power it? Generously (albeit this power draw is for several CRS, and a few ASR9Ks as well)
cablegeek01

cablegeek01 to sk1939

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Snippy snip snip and something major goes down. Probably cost a pretty penny.

No kidding! This is a lab, but it's simulating routing for a major metropolitan area/aggregation point. If it was in production, you'd take down a few hundred thousand customers

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

/drool
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
Click for full size
Transfer switch at a CO... 395A... on a single phase of the 480V-3ph feed into the building.

cablegeek01
USA

cablegeek01

Gotta love it! that's.....around 570KW of power if the legs are balanced (as they should be)! I'd love to see the genset(s) backing up that CO. It's been a while since I've been in any telco buildings.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

»goo.gl/maps/LMT5h (bti -> itc^deltacom -> Earthlink)

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
This is awesome. I was curious so I pulled some pricing...

The Cisco 1X100GBE card is $110,000 and the 100GBE CFP LR4 module is $56,000
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
said by cablegeek01:

No kidding! This is a lab, but it's simulating routing for a major metropolitan area/aggregation point. If it was in production, you'd take down a few hundred thousand customers

I would assume that, in production, there would be redundancy, correct?

Although sometimes I assume too much. In my field of work, there are redundancies for nearly everything. Heck, some things even have redundancies for the redundancies. It does get pretty redundant.
said by cablegeek01:

I'd love to see the genset(s) backing up that CO.

The building I work in (which is not a CO, but does house a lot of rather important equipment), has two 1.5MW CAT diesel gensets.

They are MASSIVE gensets and very impressive to see/hear them start up.

Total load is just under 1MW, but there are two gensets for redundancy in case one fails to start.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
said by cablegeek01:

How do you power it? Generously (albeit this power draw is for several CRS, and a few ASR9Ks as well)

You're about 4 updates behind on your Cordex... Current software is 2.05...

It's a nice product - 3.6 kw rectifiers, or the new 4 kw ones?

cablegeek01
USA

cablegeek01 to TheMG

to TheMG
That's correct. In the production setups, there is a redundant everything (these boxes have redundant processors and power supplies, but on the core network there are redundant routers in case of a chassis failure), including power supplies and cabling into and out of the buildings, HVAC, you name it...

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

The building I work in (which is not a CO, but does house a lot of rather important equipment), has two 1.5MW CAT diesel gensets.

They are MASSIVE gensets and very impressive to see/hear them start up.

Total load is just under 1MW, but there are two gensets for redundancy in case one fails to start.

Lightweight...

Largest complex I maintain regularly has 6 1.5 MW and 2 2 MW generators, and I was called in on an emergency to another building of ours with 3 5MW turbines... They are impressive as it gets at startup...

cablegeek01
USA

cablegeek01 to LazMan

to LazMan
That's good to know! Our DC plant guy is rather old school and shies away from the computer aspect of things. I'll get a hold of Argus/Alpha and get the new load. It's running the 3.6KW rectifier modules, and we're pretty close to capacity (had to move some gear off of it earlier this month). I didn't know they had a 4KW option; time to read up!

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
As a heads up - you'll have to update in steps; you can't go from 1.95 to 2.05 in one jump...

There are some pretty big upgrades in 2.04, it's the load I run on most of my sites... But I do a lot of snmp and remote access - in a lab, with physical access, it may not be as big a deal.

And yes, there's a high effiency 4kw module, plug compatible with the 3.6...

cablegeek01
USA

cablegeek01

Thanks!

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to LazMan

to LazMan
Turbines are certainly the coolest sounding getsets, period. We looked at some but decided against it because there was concern about local service and parts.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to cablegeek01

MVM

to cablegeek01
Couldn't possibly convince you to get a private 10/100/1000 RJ45 connection into that 100G line, could I cablegeek01?

Regards

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Turbines are awesome, but you are absolutely right about service and parts... As well as being tied to a specific vendor - there's 100's of companies that can service your average generator - turbines mean dealing with the company that built it almost exclusively....
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob to cablegeek01

to cablegeek01
said by cablegeek01:

Wow, I am assuming this is an internet service provider since I don't think much else would need that kind of bandwidth.

How many people run through that thing ?.

That thing has to be good for at least 180,000+ residential subscribers.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by OHSrob:

said by cablegeek01:

Wow, I am assuming this is an internet service provider since I don't think much else would need that kind of bandwidth.

Toss in a bit of over-subscription, and he should be able to offer 512bit/s and 1kb/s service! That should easily be enough to put the last of the morse code operators out of work (phfft, 55 bit/s is the best they can muster).
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob

said by pb2k:

said by OHSrob:

said by cablegeek01:

Toss in a bit of over-subscription, and he should be able to offer 512bit/s and 1kb/s service! That should easily be enough to put the last of the morse code operators out of work (phfft, 55 bit/s is the best they can muster).

You would be surprised how little bandwidth most of people use.

edit: that number was assuming a 5 megabit plan and I may have accidentally moved a decimal place.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by OHSrob:

You would be surprised how little bandwidth most of people use.

Just think though... people might start wanting to stream erotic novels, and suddenly that 1kbit/s isn't going to be enough!
cmslick3
join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

cmslick3 to cablegeek01

to cablegeek01
Those tight bends at the fiber connectors can sometimes be a problem. However I would love to get ahold of a small portion of that BW.

Smokeshow
Premium Member
join:2009-02-26
Cold Lake, AB

Smokeshow to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
Correct me if I am wrong, but those look like SC connectors on that fiber... Does that thing really only require 2 fibers to push 100G? I was under the impression that 100G used a total of 20 fibers for 10x 10G channels and typically used 2 ribbons of fiber with MTP connectors.

I've never seen anything of this magnitude though. Fastest I've worked with is 10G.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

DWDM, baby! Cisco 100GBASE CFP Modules Data Sheet

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Smokeshow

Premium Member

to Smokeshow
said by Smokeshow:

Correct me if I am wrong, but those look like SC connectors on that fiber... Does that thing really only require 2 fibers to push 100G? I was under the impression that 100G used a total of 20 fibers for 10x 10G channels and typically used 2 ribbons of fiber with MTP connectors.

Back when 100G came out that was true, but it hasn't been the case with the advent of WDM and DWDM technology (pioneered I believe, with 40G ethernet).
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

That's still true for "SR" (multimode fiber), but who's going to do 100G on MM???

(It's more likely to use the SR optic to make a single 100G interface 10x10G interfaces.)