join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01 to OHSrob

to OHSrob

Re: Cisco CRS with 100Gb line card

said by OHSrob:

said by cablegeek01:

I finally got around to upgrading my old linksys WRT54G

Wow, I am assuming this is an internet service provider since I don't think much else would need that kind of bandwidth.

How many people run through that thing ?.

That thing has to be good for at least 180,000+ residential subscribers.

Lets see....in its current configuration, it can support 140Gbps per slot, and there's 16 slots per chassis.
If we keep it simple and say that we'll use 50% for input and 50% for output, that's 2.24Tbps/2 =1.12Tbps of capacity.
If we follow the general rule that only 10% of the network users will be using the system at any given time, and we want to offer 50Mbps to each user....that's around 220,000 users per CSR3. If we wanted to get crazy and offer 100% guaranteed bandwidth to every user, we could support 22,400 users per chassis at 50Mbps to each user :-D

If you were offering 10Mbps service to each subscriber, you could see 1.1 million users per chassis, fully loaded.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by cablegeek01:

said by OHSrob:

said by cablegeek01:

I finally got around to upgrading my old linksys WRT54G

Wow, I am assuming this is an internet service provider since I don't think much else would need that kind of bandwidth.

How many people run through that thing ?.

That thing has to be good for at least 180,000+ residential subscribers.

Lets see....in its current configuration, it can support 140Gbps per slot, and there's 16 slots per chassis.
If we keep it simple and say that we'll use 50% for input and 50% for output, that's 2.24Tbps/2 =1.12Tbps of capacity.
If we follow the general rule that only 10% of the network users will be using the system at any given time, and we want to offer 50Mbps to each user....that's around 220,000 users per CSR3. If we wanted to get crazy and offer 100% guaranteed bandwidth to every user, we could support 22,400 users per chassis at 50Mbps to each user :-D

If you were offering 10Mbps service to each subscriber, you could see 1.1 million users per chassis, fully loaded.

Am I the only one that found irony in quoting the op only mentions a wrt54g?

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

lol, I hadn't noticed till now. Pretty funny.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
I'll give you a dollar to press the red "RES" button on the ups.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

I'll do one better... see that big shinny read button behind the plastic next to the door...

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by cramer:

I'll do one better... see that big shinny read button behind the plastic next to the door...

I'll match his contribution.

Anybody remember when Haylon systems were predominant and you had to carry around a tank of air in case of emergency?
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Yes. And I remember a time when an intern hit the orange, end-of-the-world button in a TX data center. (not only does it dump the halon, but it blows the "fusable links" to the room -- one inch bars of copper.) Our's were MUCH harder to hit -- the covers were held on by industrial velcro.

(The only other links I've seen "blow" were due to a dropped screw driver.)
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

I'll give you a dollar to press the red "RES" button on the ups.

Not much would happen, all pressing the reset button would do is clear all the recorded values/stats.

Hint: that device in the picture simply displays and records measurements for power consumption and power quality. Has nothing to do with any UPS.

Link: »www.eaton.com/Eaton/Prod ··· ndex.htm
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

An some of the ones I have been around the red reset button cycles the unit. As in cuts the loads and restarts the ups.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

1 edit

TomS_ to Smokeshow

MVM

to Smokeshow
said by Smokeshow:

I was under the impression that 100G used a total of 20 fibers for 10x 10G channels

There are a few ways to provide 100G, one as you say being 10x10G channels, either physical (using a ribbon fibre) or logical using multiple wavelengths over a single pair. Another is 4x25G in similar configurations.

It is also possible to 100G as a single channel, and Ive been involved in the deployment of some long haul transmission kit that is single wavelength 100G. On a DWDM line system with 80 channels, were talking 8tbit/sec. Thats some seriously sexy stuff.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

I wasn't aware of anyone doing single lambda 100G. Who's the vendor/manufacturer for those optics?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Alcatel-Lucent.

They arent "optics" as such, more trans/muxponders.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by TomS_:

Alcatel-Lucent.

They arent "optics" as such, more trans/muxponders.

I've seen some of the equipment (carrier hotels), never been able to lay hands on it though (not my specialty/repsonsibility). Are the mux's still on the large side, or have they managed to shrink it a bit?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

The ones Ive wroked with are the PSS-32 chassis, which is 19" wide an 13 or so RU (can just fit 3 of them in a rack). Ive worked more with muxponders than their transponders, and you can fit 5 of them in that chassis, so 50 x 10g = 500g line side per chassis x 3 = 1.5t per rack. Since the chassis is only about 300mm deep you can probably fit them front and back too.

Not sure if theres anything else more dense than that.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

The one's I saw were 1/2 rack, so they've either shrunk somewhat, or have a lower capacity. Still, the amount of speed you have at the carrier level is amazing, I wonder what the link utilization is.