uniqs
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: Differences between Teksavvy and Start

said by TSI Marc:

we provide them with more IPs almost instantly once they ask us for them... thinking maybe this is a scale thing.. do you guys not see these issues at all?

Please do correct me if wrong here, but I imagine that Pete would have a much easier time, as his DHCP assignments would all go to a single (aggregated) POI, rather than him having to balance them among a multitude of (changing) Red POIs.

Right? Or not?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by mlord:

said by TSI Marc:

we provide them with more IPs almost instantly once they ask us for them... thinking maybe this is a scale thing.. do you guys not see these issues at all?

Please do correct me if wrong here, but I imagine that Pete would have a much easier time, as his DHCP assignments would all go to a single (aggregated) POI, rather than him having to balance them among a multitude of (changing) Red POIs.

Right? Or not?

I don't believe that's right... the IPs are assigned the very same way ours are. In fact, ARIN just passed new policies today to accommodate this exact thing for both TPIA and ATPIA and we played a significant role in highlighting what was wrong with the previous policy...

I believe it's more a matter of how it's being managed.. the more often times various areas run out of IPs, the more often you have to provide them with new ones. I think what's going on is that there's nothing pro-active going on at the other end making sure nothing gets depleted. So until we open a ticket, until they see there are none left, they dont ask us for more... and then we provide them some and they add them.. and then people get back online.

So if you rarely run out of ips since there are many spares still from the initial blocks provided.. you just wont see the problem.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

I don't believe that's right... the IPs are assigned the very same way ours are.

Correct, we have the same DHCP setup as disaggregated.
said by TSI Marc:

In fact, ARIN just passed new policies today to accommodate this exact thing for both TPIA and ATPIA

Not quite passed yet, but looks like it will be as it has the community support. I'm here in Dallas for the ARIN meeting and was very impressed by how the community reacted to the policy proposal and our statements for support.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Ah, ok, Gabe sent me a quick note to tell me it had passed...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Ah, ok, Gabe sent me a quick note to tell me it had passed...

The vote in the room is a "straw poll" which is taken into consideration by the Advisory Council. It's likely to receive recommendation from them based on the community support shown today. From here it goes to "last call" and once the AC is content then it goes to the Board for approval. It looks well on it's way and not likely to have any troubles at this point but will take a couple months until it's in effect.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Cool right that's what I was told that it would take a few months... Just about when they run out of IPs.. Hehe