uniqs

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to Bellmtl

to Bellmtl

Re: [Internet] Bell throttling?

said by Bellmtl:

Bell's definitely not throttling... maybe Primus is throttling on their end?

I've never seen any throttling in my seven years with Primus. I take it the OP is using GAS, in which case it could be the AHSSPI link from Primus back to Bell causing the slowdown (you can try reconnecting a couple times), the link from Bell's BAS to an ATM switch (if he's still on their legacy ATM network), or the link from that switch to his DSLAM (more than likely that's his problem.)

@OP, does your latency also go up?
fred999
join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON

fred999

Not exactly sure what latency is.. if you mean ping, it goes from around 25 outside the 9-11pm time range, to 36 between 9-11pm, using the Primus or Speakeasy tests, and from 32 outside the 9-11pm range, to 40 using the Speedtest test.

I'm also wondering why Speedtest is consistently worse than the other two tests?

Which are more accurate?

xsbell
Canada

xsbell

said by fred999:

Not exactly sure what latency is.. if you mean ping, it goes from around 25 outside the 9-11pm time range, to 36 between 9-11pm, using the Primus or Speakeasy tests, and from 32 outside the 9-11pm range, to 40 using the Speedtest test.

I'm also wondering why Speedtest is consistently worse than the other two tests?

Which are more accurate?

Your latency seems fine then. Have you tried reconnecting during the slowdown? (it may take a couple tries before you see an improvement.)

I mainly just use Primus' speedtest, which seems to be more accurate.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Bad routing, or congestion.
Expand your moderator at work
lightbeam
join:2012-10-27
x1x-1x1

lightbeam

Re: [Internet] Bell throttling?

an no bell does no throtlle.. if for you it does then better rethink your passway on the internet buddy

meaning that its simple if you have to many AMPS downstream (download) ... i could actually hurt the copper... EXP.

torrent
donwload a file but its sent from a bunch a servers to you... it can so much saturate your line it can actually burn it... it's called over flow of packets.... this will burn your modem and will affedct performance. imagine 1000 servers sending you packets over size... i just wont affect you it will affect the gateway buddy....
fred999
Scarborough, ON

fred999

Well, thanks to all...

@lightbeam, no torrents, just single file downloads...and theyare from various servers, so it's not just one server slowing down, it's all of them

@usuckbell by reconnecting, you mean reboot the modem?

It's hard to understand though - why only between 9 and 11pm... wonder if they're doing maintenance or something. I guess it's time to call up Primus and ask them. Pretty sure I'll get nowhere.

xsbell
Canada

xsbell

No need to reboot the modem, just log into your router and reconnect that way. (look under WAN settings)

If you're connected directly to the modem, disconnect the PPPoE connection in your OS. It may take several attempts.

Hopefully Bell hurries up with their 10GigE AHSSPI plans.
fred999
Scarborough, ON

fred999

Just for my understanding, is it true to say that using DSL there will be no competition from neighbours? I know using cable, you can have congestion in your neigborhood, but not with DSL right?

But what about the larger picture? Can Primus have congestion on their part of the Bell network, or is it all Bell?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by fred999:

Just for my understanding, is it true to say that using DSL there will be no competition from neighbours? I know using cable, you can have congestion in your neigborhood, but not with DSL right?

But what about the larger picture? Can Primus have congestion on their part of the Bell network, or is it all Bell?

If Bell's back-end is congested, everyone will have problems; same with if they have congested links to a peering partner (which was seen in 2010 & 2011 when peering to AT&T's network). If Bell hasn't provided enough capacity to a DSLAM, you'll also experience congestion (and so will your neighbours).

Bell's currently seeing DSLAM congestion for several areas right now, as upgrades are planned, but won't be followed through until other upgrades are done first as they don't want to have to do upgrades to a DSLAM more than once.

xsbell
Canada

xsbell to fred999

to fred999
said by fred999:

It is not true. Every customer on your DSLAM will be sharing the same uplink.

I don't see Primus having the problem. With xDSL being a fat tree topology, the bottleneck will always be near the last mile (DSLAM uplinks). Another bottleneck would be Bell's AHSSPI. After that though, everything should be running at 10GigE or 40GigE.

fred999
Scarborough, ON

fred999

Oh, well, in that case... maybe I suddenly have a new neighbor who is also doing downloads in the evening between 9 and 11pm...
Expand your moderator at work

Fibe2510
@bell.ca

Fibe2510

Anon

Re: [Internet] Bell throttling? -> Yes for bit torrent

Bell most certainly does throttle my bit torrent up load traffic after 4pm every day (not sure when it gets un throttled again but it is fine every morning by 9am ). My uploads drop from as high as 750 kbps to between 40 and 60.... every day at the same time.