Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen

Re: Heavy Iron - Dual Cisco 7613 Routers w/ RSP720-3C-10GE

said by Oxygen:

said by HELLFIRE:

said by Oxygen:

Each one was $345,371.00 + freight shipping.

That WITH or WITHOUT Smartnet?

This was without Smartnet.

Blasphemy
go get some Smartnet.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

Blasphemy
go get some Smartnet.

in certain instances -- sparing can be a cheaper (and quicker) way to solve issues -- especially if you have similar kit sitting in the lab.
smartnet is great -- but its not a panacea.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

It'll give access to IOS downloads and cisco support.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
Couple hundred K chassis / linecard, and no smartnet... I'm more worried when
something borks out and you find out your warrant service has just ended...

Whichever Beancounter authorized that needs a round of Network Battleship done
on their PC AND homedirectory.

Regards

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

it happens quite often.
for $enterprise that has a lot of same kit -- license strategic chassis, then hot spare the rest. linecards in 7600 and 6500 are covered under chassis license -- except for sip/spa combos. as such, if a linecard goes tits up, you swap it out with a hot spare and handle the smartnet later in the lab. if a chassis borks -- smartnet wont help you bring back the network and you build redundancy into it. you either make sure its spared, or you have licensed this as a strategic chassis.

it happens more than one would think. enterprises with tens of thousands of devices often look at hot sparing seriously once they look at average smartnet cost-to-utilization ratios. cisco services account managers (now they are called client services executives or some other such nonsense) often place a combination of smartnet services as well as sparing on the table to bring the cost where $enterprise will find it acceptable.
having sat in and added logistical information to said meetings -- they are fun to watch and be a part of.

q.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Client I deal with gets a pretty sweet deal globally, they buy it from whoever, wherever, and is backdated
with Cisco for support. All the client cares is EVERYTHING is 24x7x4 support, and if we say it isn't (especially
if the documentation says 8x5xNBD), well... they have our boss, the boss' boss, and the boss' boss' boss on
speed dial... calls like that especially suck at 0200 in the morning.

Regards

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by HELLFIRE:

Client I deal with gets a pretty sweet deal globally, they buy it from whoever, wherever, and is backdated
with Cisco for support. All the client cares is EVERYTHING is 24x7x4 support, and if we say it isn't (especially
if the documentation says 8x5xNBD), well... they have our boss, the boss' boss, and the boss' boss' boss on
speed dial... calls like that especially suck at 0200 in the morning.

Regards

i am the principal/cse on a similar account.
customer buys the equivalent of about $30mil/year list price (they don't pay list -- but if they did -- it would total roughly that much) in hardware and support with an additional $2-3million in professional services from us.
they tier out their kit based on business need. core and critical infrastructure is 24x7x365. it goes down from there to 8x5xnbd. in those cases -- they hot spare on no support to resolve the issue. each site has a cache -- and large stocks are geographically spaced so there is no more than about 2-3 hours drive time between.

its all about cost and logistics from within the enterprise.

q.