spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

So I assume there's no truth to this...

Just phone... er... the local cable company to cancel my service at the end of November so I can switch to a TPIA (I didn't tell the CSR which one) when I move.

As expected, they have their script to convince us to stay. What I was told was that "the cable company"'s subscriber get traffic priority, so that the more users there are for that TPIA, the slower it will get, whereas their company's subscribers are "guaranteed" to get good speed (I did mention that this is not true, since their users in some areas have had speed problems).

All I was offered was a 15% discount on either Extreme Plus (I mentioned low usage caps) or Extreme (since I said the 15% discount on Extreme Plus is less than $2 less than the regular price on Extreme, and I said I wanted to lower my expenses). 15% off Extreme is still about $10 more than Start (assuming I don't rent a modem with Start). Of course the discounts are only for a year... (I just came off a 20% discount for a year) and they had nothing better to offer.

So anyway, didn't feel like arguing in circles and I don't like being rude with people who are really just doing their job, so since I still have a few days I figured I'd just call back tomorrow or something.

But that go me curious about what she was babbling about regarding "customer priority" in terms of speeds, so I figured I'd ask here about it. Frankly the one thing I'm really worried about is getting "accidentally" disconnected at some point (mentioned that in another thread) since I don't have any other service with the cable company.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

You're correct it's all lies, er, I mean misunderstandings, from their retentions department.

As for accidental disconnects, thankfully they don't happen that often any more but some people have put a note on their cable box saying not to disconnect because they have TPIA as well. It certainly can't hurt but the vast majority of people don't bother with that and they are fine.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Thanks. Having seen similar posts in a couple of other forums I figured it was crap, but it didn't hurt to ask. I was just too damned tired to argue with the CSR.

Since I'm in a condo building I can't put a tag myself, but I'll try to get a hold of the tech guy or leave him a note asking for one to be put on my line.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to MichelR

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

All I was offered was a 15% discount on either Extreme Plus (I mentioned low usage caps) or Extreme (since I said the 15% discount on Extreme Plus is less than $2 less than the regular price on Extreme, and I said I wanted to lower my expenses).

Are they getting stingier? I was offered 30% for Express and 30% + free rental for Extreme when I cancelled in April.

FWIW (as I'm only one case), I've been running almost since "Red" was available (with no other cable services), and haven't been disconnected and have had no noticeable slowdowns.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

said by bt:

Are they getting stingier? I was offered 30% for Express and 30% + free rental for Extreme when I cancelled in April.

FWIW (as I'm only one case), I've been running almost since "Red" was available (with no other cable services), and haven't been disconnected and have had no noticeable slowdowns.

The promotions vary a lot. As for disconnections, my worry is being in a condo building - they visit often and sometimes do "bulk disconnects" for residents who have canceled their service.

Anyway, phoned them again today and canceled. Just signed up with Start for a mid-November installation. Figured I'd keep an overlap before moving to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.