All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tl Chris
join:2008-02-09

1 edit

Tl Chris

Will i gain something by upgrading with RT-n66u ?

Will i gain something by upgrading with RT-n66u from a DLink Dir625 ? My laptop only have a G wireless card, i have a Popcorn A-110, an ATV2, and an iPad2, i have 5mbs for internet. I like to steam video in HD and i like to do P2P.

Thanks
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

Unless something is wrong with your existing router you won't gain much. Your ISP plan isn't fast enough to need to CPU power of the n66u. But you should see range improvements with n clients.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to Tl Chris

to Tl Chris
You should try this method: »Double Your Internet Speed for Free

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Da Geek Kid:

You should try this method: »Double Your Internet Speed for Free

You're very funny Kid
Tl Chris
join:2008-02-09

Tl Chris

Well, i needed to replace my router, it was defective. I bought an RT-N66U, it fixed the problem that i had with other router( i was always loosing connection and router was reseting itsel by its own), I find the Asus very difficult to set up, so i didnt touch nothing in the setup. Is it normal that at 11pm , i am connected with my ipad2 on the 5mghz network, trying to stream a tv show from the internet via xbmc, that the video keep stoping and buffering ?

Smoove910
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID

Smoove910 to Tl Chris

Premium Member

to Tl Chris
I happened to have a DIR-625 for a couple years... hated that router. Slow speeds, extremely slow Netflix d/l speeds, would have to reboot, etc. I have now had the Asus RT-N66U for about 1.5 months and the difference is night and day. Netflix always downloads at HD speeds which is nice. I especially love the ability to have dual networks, 1 at N/G speeds for the older stuff in the house, and the other at dedicated N speeds for the new stuff. I don't think you can go wrong with going with the Asus router. I did upgrade the firmware to Tomato Shibby and haven't had much issue.

BTW, I also have a 5mb plan, so I would highly recommend!
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to Tl Chris

Premium Member

to Tl Chris
said by Tl Chris:

Well, i needed to replace my router, it was defective. I bought an RT-N66U, it fixed the problem that i had with other router( i was always loosing connection and router was reseting itsel by its own), I find the Asus very difficult to set up, so i didnt touch nothing in the setup. Is it normal that at 11pm , i am connected with my ipad2 on the 5mghz network, trying to stream a tv show from the internet via xbmc, that the video keep stoping and buffering ?

The old router kept resetting because the p2p overloaded the state tables (uses this to run nat, so it knows what is supposed to get in or not) and your video keeps buffering because you are using up all your bandwidth (likely with the p2p). Turn off the p2p and i bet the buffering stops.

Your new router likely has more ram in it (thats where the state table is, on a little ram chip), but no fancy router is going to give you more bandwidth.

Get a higher speed package or learn to control your p2p app (set bandwidth limits in it)

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to Tl Chris

to Tl Chris
said by Tl Chris:

Will i gain something by upgrading with RT-n66u from a DLink Dir625 ?

Sleep well knowing that your internet doesn't depend on a D-Link?

Also, that Shibby's Tomato thing.