spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JasonBKs

join:2012-10-25

[TWC] TWC - Kansas City/Overland Park ClearQAM - Gone!

Well, I finally got an official answer. Apparently earlier this week Time Warner Overland Park (and maybe the whole KC metro) stopped broadcasting network channels in the clear.

I just finished chatting with them. The first guy denied the whole thing and said they never carried them, a flat out lie.

The second guy was very open and honest which I really appreciated. It's frustrating but at least I got my answer...

Me: Did you broadcast ClearQAM channels and now no longer do?
TW: Yes, sorry for this.
TW: We have stop broadcasting the channels.
Me: Did this happen recently, maybe in the last few days?
TW: Yes, The service has stopped across the area. We are receiving similar complaints from other customers too.

Now I know why my tuner all of a sudden starting recordinh only in SD and couldn't find any ClearQAM network channels when I re-scanned tonight.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by JasonBKs:

Well, I finally got an official answer. Apparently earlier this week Time Warner Overland Park (and maybe the whole KC metro) stopped broadcasting network channels in the clear.

I just finished chatting with them. The first guy denied the whole thing and said they never carried them, a flat out lie.

The second guy was very open and honest which I really appreciated. It's frustrating but at least I got my answer...

Me: Did you broadcast ClearQAM channels and now no longer do?
TW: Yes, sorry for this.
TW: We have stop broadcasting the channels.
Me: Did this happen recently, maybe in the last few days?
TW: Yes, The service has stopped across the area. We are receiving similar complaints from other customers too.

Now I know why my tuner all of a sudden starting recordinh only in SD and couldn't find any ClearQAM network channels when I re-scanned tonight.

do you have a trap on your line to block expanded basic? They might have put the clear QAM channels in the 71-78 range and could be trapping out the channel inadvertently. TWC is not encrypting the channels yet and if they are they are violating FCC rules which only allow cable systems with no analogs to encrypt the limited basic tier until an IP setup is in place to get the clear QAM channels.

By the way TWC did move the clear QAM channels to new assignments so you may need to enter each channel from 15 to 116 to get them back so if there was a clear QAM channel on RF 15 you would need to punch in 15-1 or 15.1 to get the clear QAM channels on that frequency manually to show up on your tv.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
said by motorola870:

TWC is not encrypting the channels yet and if they are they are violating FCC rules...

Those new rules don't really apply here. There is no mandate that cablecos must broadcast the digital version of the basic tier unencrypted if it is still available via analog... otherwise TWC has been violating FCC rules for years here. Plus this is about broadcast channels not basic, and the only requirement with those is that must-carry channels are clear which usually rules out most of the big network affiliates nowadays since they usually demand carriage fees.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Suit Up:

said by motorola870:

TWC is not encrypting the channels yet and if they are they are violating FCC rules...

Those new rules don't really apply here. There is no mandate that cablecos must broadcast the digital version of the basic tier unencrypted if it is still available via analog... otherwise TWC has been violating FCC rules for years here. Plus this is about broadcast channels not basic, and the only requirement with those is that must-carry channels are clear which usually rules out most of the big network affiliates nowadays since they usually demand carriage fees.

said by Suit Up:

said by motorola870:

limited basic is broadcast basic in all markets they are the same tier just the name varies by market.

job

@rr.com
What idiots. Anyone including myself that has time warner is not impressed with what they get for the money, quality of service or quality of their technicians. They should be kissing butt with google hopefully going to take them out of business. They are arrogant like all isp's As far as tv goes, I can not come to reason with paying for something then being forced to watch their commercials.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
reply to motorola870
said by motorola870:

limited basic is broadcast basic in all markets they are the same tier just the name varies by market.

Ah. That's confusing. They really should settle on one name.

Tony1234

@rr.com
reply to JasonBKs
ABC (KMBC) 68.2
CBS (KCTV) 71.2
FOX (WDAF) 69.5
NBC (KSHB) 71.3

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Suit Up
"Ah. That's confusing. They really should settle on one name."

Its not confusing if you live in one market and know what it's called.
Its confusing if you change it to match another market!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

motorola870

Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Tony1234
said by Tony1234 :

ABC (KMBC) 68.2
CBS (KCTV) 71.2
FOX (WDAF) 69.5
NBC (KSHB) 71.3

can you give the full list of clear QAM channels in Kansas City there are more than just the big four networks it would help JasonBKs.

jones7981

@rr.com
Has anyone had any luck picking up the following channels?

ABC (KMBC) 68.2
CBS (KCTV) 71.2
FOX (WDAF) 69.5
NBC (KSHB) 71.3

My HD Homerun and TV only pick up the following channels. Maybe the above channels are blocked (filtered) since I do not have basic cable?

82-9 (WGN)
84-2 (On Demand TWC)

JasonBKs

reply to Tony1234
Thanks for the new frequencies Tony1234!

I very clearly asked them whether it was just a frequency change (I just left that part of the chat out of the OP) and they said no, but I'm glad they were wrong.

I just verified I can receive the new frequencies with no issues. Thanks again!

motorola870

Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by JasonBKs:

Thanks for the new frequencies Tony1234!

I very clearly asked them whether it was just a frequency change (I just left that part of the chat out of the OP) and they said no, but I'm glad they were wrong.

I just verified I can receive the new frequencies with no issues. Thanks again!

hey can you post a new list of all of the QAM channels?

JasonBKs

I only have what Tony1234 posted but I'm assuming your question is directed to him.

jones7981

@rr.com
Just to followup on my post although no one responded.

I did not have cable (basic or standard) and enjoyed Clear QAM through TWC with RoadRunner internet only. Because of this, I had a RoadRunner trap on my line and when TWC moved the channels, it moved them outside this trap and so I subsequently lost all access to Clear QAM except WGN and Video On Demand. TWC of course denied that the channel move would impact me but it did. I prove this by adding basic cable to my TWC account and re-running the channel scan and poof, all the Clear QAM channels are back. Is it legal to force someone to purchase basic cable in order to get OTA channels via Clear QAM?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
I fail to understand why as a non cable TV subscriber in any form you think internet gives you the right to access TV signals.
Your question requires some research which you should probably do.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
reply to jones7981
Internet only subscribers are not suppose to get any video service at all. It's perfectly legal, and usually required by broadcasters, for providers to block video signals not specifically subscribed to and paid for.

Since that's the case TWC would expect you not to be affected by any changes they've made to their video service offerings since you don't subscribe to them.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
You don't understand. These people would write the fcc, local paper, etc because they lost their FREE local channels and NOW have to PAY for service.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
They weren't supposed to be free to begin with. TWC just fixed the pro lem that allowed them to be seen without proper subscription. Let people complain to the FCC and local papers all they want. The last few clear channels will get shut out too.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by DrDrew:

They weren't supposed to be free to begin with. TWC just fixed the pro lem that allowed them to be seen without proper subscription. Let people complain to the FCC and local papers all they want. The last few clear channels will get shut out too.

My TWC area got smart and thanks to increased need for 8 more SDV QAMs, 4 more VOD QAMs, and 2 more DOCSIS channels TWC moved almost all my locals down into the trapped out range for HSI only customers:

10 out the 14 local HD channels are trapped out on HSD accounts.

Local Access Channels are not available with HSD only accounts

tahessong

@rr.com
reply to JasonBKs
So, what options do we have to continue receiving over the air TV? Is antenna the only choice?

Our home has an attic antenna from the 60's or 70's. Is this an option? Will our HDTV receive channels from this antique? If so, where can we find a coax connector?

p.s. / FYI: A buddy of mine lives in Liberty, MO and was still receiving channels via his internet cable line as of last Sunday (10/28/12).

jay_bob

join:2004-03-12
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T Southeast
Yes the attic antenna will work for hd.

Check Radio Shack for a "balun" that has two leads on one side (300 ohm) and a coax connector (75 ohm) on the other. Attach the two leads to the two nuts on the antenna where the original twin-lead wire connected (disconnect this first). Then run coax to your tv and enjoy your free channels.

Note that when the analog shutdown happened a few years ago, the tv stations were reassigned new frequencies and might have relocated their transmitter sites. You may have to play with the alignment of the antenna. Tvfool.com is a good resource for this.

You will notice that especially when watching sports the picture is much better, this is because the OTA feed is uncompressed, while cable and satellite is heavily compressed.

KBinKC

@mindspring.com
reply to JasonBKs
One more reason I will be moving my in-laws to Google as soon as the lines are installed. I need to figure out a better solution in Prairie Village.

tahessong

@rr.com
reply to jay_bob
Thanks for the info jay_bob. The balun worked, but we're still not satisfied. We were only able to receive six channels at the most when we should at least be seeing 12-16 channels.

We are now trying to decide if it would be easier to get a rabbit ear style antenna for each TV or if we should try to amplify the signal from the attic for a stronger reception.

Any suggestions on a quality yet inexpensive rabbit ears, or the best way to amplify the signal?

jay_bob

join:2004-03-12
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T Southeast
reply to jay_bob
Are you trying to drive more than one set?

If so you will probably be better served with local antennas on each tv.
You could set up a distribution amp but then you have to worry about having too much signal.

There are alternatives to old school rabbit ears, that are not so ugly.

Your attic antenna is directional, and if the stations are from different directions you won't be able to hit them all at the same time. The tvfool.com site will do a polar plot with your house at the center, that shows where all your local station transmitters are.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to hobgoblin

I fail to understand why as a non cable TV subscriber in any form you think internet gives you the right to access TV signals.

I fail to understand why TWC blame 'net subscriber when it's TW's fault sending the tv signals to them. What do you want them to do?