Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Tell us about your tech toys....

Well, I live in Time Warner territory, but since TW and BHN are so closely aligned and I’m a Time Warner fanboy, I keep an eye on this forum here as well. And I just love showing off my crap. I’m a pathetic 27 year old loser who lives at home with his mommy and is addicted to technology. My bedroom is my slice of heaven after a shitty day at work.

The TV Set Up

Time Warner Cable – Digital Cable, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Movie Pass, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Latino Tier, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, Two Whole House HD DVRs.

DirecTV – Premier, HD Xtra Pack, NFL Sunday Ticket Max, Two HD DVRs with Whole House Enabled.

Sony Bravia KDL-55NX810 55” 3DTV (1080P, 240 Hz, LED)
Sony STR-DA3700 ES A/V Receiver
Sony BDP-S790 Blu Ray Disc Player
Cisco Explorer 8642HDC HD DVR (500 GB)
DirecTV HR34-700 HD DVR (1 TB)
Sony PlayStation 3 w/Move (320 GB)
Microsoft Xbox 360 w/Kinect (250 GB)
Sony SCD-CE595 Five Disc Super Audio CD Changer
Sony SA-VS310 5.1 Speaker Package w/2 Additional Speakers
Sony 3D Glasses, 5 Pair Total (2 TDG-BR100s, 2 TDG-BR250s, 1 TDG-BR750)
Cisco SE2800 8 Port Switch.
APC H15 Power Center

The TV may be the centerpiece but it’s just basically a display. The A/V Receiver handles everything. It’s connected to the TV via HDMI, and using the HDMI switching capabilities this is how I toggle between my five video sources, Time Warner, DirecTV, Blu Ray, PS3 and Xbox. The CD changer is connected via toslink. The receiver has an integrated Sirius XM tuner, which is active, and also streams content from Pandora, Slacker, YouTube and other internet sources. A 25’ long run of Ethernet cable is run from my router through the basement and up through the floor to the A/V Receiver. The Receiver feeds the TV, Blu Ray Player and the Switch. The 8 Port Switch then gives internet connectivity to the two gaming consoles along with the DECA which provides network access to the DirecTV boxes. Everything in this set up is hardwired with CAT6. No wifi here. The TV and blu ray player run a multitude of apps including the ones I mentioned above that my Receiver has, along with many more. The four remaining speakers in my 7.1 set up are in the rear, by my bed.

Main Computer Set Up

HP Pavilion 5000T Desktop (Intel Core 2 Quad Processor @ 2.83 GHz, 8 GB DDR 2 RAM, 750 GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPM)
HP 2310M 23” Monitor (1080P, LCD)
HP Wireless Keyboard & HP Wireless Optical Mouse
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus Multifunction Printer
Sony SRS-DB500 Active Speaker 2.1 System (300 Watts)
Sony Xperia S Tablet (32 GB On Board + 32 GB SD Card, Android 4.03)
Sony Walkman Z MP3 Player (32 GB, Android 2.34)
Sony Smartwatch (Android 2.1)
HTC Evo 4G LTE Smartphone (Sprint, Android 4.04)
HTC Evo View 4G Tablet (Sprint, Android 3.2)
Motorola Corded Phone with DECT 6.0 Cordless Handset
Linksys EA4500 Dual band Router (A,B,G,N)
Ubee DDW3611 DOCSIS 3 Cable Modem (In Bridge Mode)
Arris Touchstone TM502 Digital Phone Modem
Sprint Airave
APC XS-1500 Back UPS

The cable modem, powered by Time Warner Cable’s Ultimate Internet at 50Mb Down and 5Mb Up, feeds the Linksys router which passes internet connectivity to my two desktop computers, my home entertainment gear and also connected to the Sprint Airave. I live in a rural area with poor cellular reception so the Airave is needed to have reliable cell reception. The only components in my network to use wifi are my printer, and of course the tablets, phone and MP3 Player. Everything else is hardwired with CAT6. It’s a rare occurrence to find a Time Warner install with a DOCSIS 3/MTA combo modem, so until I can get my hands on one, I need two separate modems, one for data and one for voice. The PC is getting a little on the old side. I custom ordered it direct from HP in the Spring of 2008. I maxed it out and the thing is still running strong. 15 in 1 Card reader, DVD-ROM drive, Blu Ray Burner/HD DVD Drive, Intel Quad Core, this thing has rocked my world for a while now. Everything but the audio system and printer is plugged into the UPS.

My laptop is not pictured. That would be an HP Envy 17 3D
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1
- Intel Core i7 Processor @ 2.30 GHz (2820QM, Quad Core)
- 16 GB RAM, DDR 3 1333 MHz
- 750 GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPM
- 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 6850M Video Card
- Beats Audio
- CD/DVD Burner/BD Drive
- 5 In 1 Card Reader
- Three USB 2.0 Ports, One USB 3.0 Port
- HP Backlit Keyboard & HP Wireless Optical Mouse
- HP 17.3” LED 3D Full HD 1080p 16:9 Display

At retail value, at the time of purchase, if you include the laptop, you are looking at over $20K worth of toys. And I'm extremely proud to say, not a single Apple product!
Nayan3
join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL

Nayan3

Okay Steve, it's time to move out of mom's house so I can have your room . Nice setup!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Nayan3:

Okay Steve, it's time to move out of mom's house so I can have your room . Nice setup!

LOL
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Nayan3

Premium Member

to Nayan3
said by Nayan3:

LOL, fine but 1) You have to deal with my mom… good luck! And 2) I get to keep my Jambox, cell phone and my ESPN banner

This was unexpected, I go to a Time Warner Store today to get a remote replaced and just for the hell of it asked if they had combo MTA/D3 cable modems yet, they lady said, yeah and asked if I wanted a UBee or an Arris. So I picked up an Arris TG852G combo unit. Woohoo, one less device and one less split in my cable line. Ive already replaced the four way splitter with the old three way. I certainly wasnt expecting that today.

My latest tech obsession is my Big Jambox from Jawbone. I got it on eBay last week, brand new, it was slightly cheaper than the $300 list price, I believe I paid $270, which is still overpriced IMO, but man this thing is great. Basically Ive been streaming my music collection along with Sirius XM from my tablet nonstop. Great range too. My only qualm is Beats Audio just released a competitor called the ‘Pill and in the few reviews Ive read, the Beats Pill produces better audio quality and is better at higher volumes than the Jawbone Jambox. Oh well.

I forgot about the rest of the house. Nothing really to write home about. In the living room we have a Sony Grand Wega 55 Rear Projection LCD HDTV circa 2007. All that is connected to that is the other Cisco 8642 DVR for TWC and a DirecTV HR24 HD DVR. That old computer setup on the chinsy desk to the right of my TV set up is the one my mother uses. I cannot trust her to have the computer outside of my direct supervision hence why it resides in my bedroom. Ever since the fifth time I found a note taped to the refrigerator door when I got home from work, when I worked night shift, saying ‘Computer and/or Printer does not work, I had to revoke her computer privileges. Now everything is password protected and requires me to be there to type it in. Just yesterday I discovered she has a Facebook account. Guess what website just got added to my list of blocked URLs at router level? I guess they dont call them Parental Controls for nothing.

AMejia1976
join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL

1 recommendation

AMejia1976

said by Happydude32:

Just yesterday I discovered she has a Facebook account. Guess what website just got added to my list of blocked URLs at router level? I guess they dont call them Parental Controls for nothing.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

you guys make me look bad lol
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by tim tim tim:

you guys make me look bad lol

Do I detect geek envy?
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

little bit.. Unfortunately 2 little kids eats up the ability to be a geek as much as id like lol.

Im set on the TV side of things and when we get our new house in a few months I should be wired much better for future fun
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by tim tim tim:

little bit.. Unfortunately 2 little kids eats up the ability to be a geek as much as id like lol.

Im set on the TV side of things and when we get our new house in a few months I should be wired much better for future fun

Don't feel bad Tim...my new house has done the same thing...all I'm hearing right now is the sucking noise of my back pocket aka my wallet...